GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,413
2 members and 1,411 guests
No Members online

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
You have to wonder what "services" (besides ALEC) are behind these when several states introduce almost identical legislation within a few months of one another. For example, Virginia this year introduced anti-UN21 bills, which opposition stridently denounced as "unnecessary" because UN21 is decades old (and then opposition introduced a bill ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, dontcha know, 'cause that's so timely).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-26-2013, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

This is not a state legislative proposal per se, but it certainly is an indication of the brain trust we've elected here in Tennessee.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...state-capitol/

Also, an indication that these people have never done much mopping in their lives.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
As of today, we have finally in Virginia repealed the prohibition on unmarried persons cohabiting in a "lewd and lascivious" manner.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. Well, we had a bill in Oklahoma die in committee which would have made it no longer a felony to commit blasphemy, to swear obscenely and to break the Sabbath.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...OKST21&level=1

(see Ch. 36)
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Wow. Well, we had a bill in Oklahoma die in committee which would have made it no longer a felony to commit blasphemy, to swear obscenely and to break the Sabbath.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...OKST21&level=1

(see Ch. 36)
Welcome to Oklahoma, set your clock back 70 years...
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

To be fair, no one actually tries to enforce those laws. That said, a proposal to get rid of those laws died in committee this year.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To be fair, no one actually tries to enforce those laws. That said, a proposal to get rid of those laws died in committee this year.
I would like to be optimistic and say that they realized that their time was best served elsewhere, and not on worrying about trivial laws, however, that "time better spent" was probably golfing or other nonsense.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I would like to be optimistic and say that they realized that their time was best served elsewhere, and not on worrying about trivial laws, however, that "time better spent" was probably golfing or other nonsense.
No, the issue was that they were afraid of challenges from the right stating that they had voted to further this mythical separation between church and state which the founders never intended to exist.

You know how every once in a while, you'll hear about some courthouse in the South erecting a monument to the 10 Commandments on their courthouse lawn?

Well, I had a case in Marshall County, Oklahoma (just about half an hour east of I-35 from near the Oklahoma-Texas border). I snapped a photograph of just such a monument on the courthouse lawn. It's apparently been there for some time and either no one in the county wants to challenge it or folks are afraid of what would happen to them if they did.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a conservative Christian, and these are the kind of people that make me ashamed to admit that. *Sigh*
Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Do well in school, little Timmy, or the government will force you and your family to starve in the cold. Well done, Tennessee. This proposed bill would deduct government assistance from needy families if their kids do poorly in school.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I had a case in Marshall County, Oklahoma (just about half an hour east of I-35 from near the Oklahoma-Texas border). I snapped a photograph of just such a monument on the courthouse lawn. It's apparently been there for some time and either no one in the county wants to challenge it or folks are afraid of what would happen to them if they did.
You mean the one at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephe...57623081962152
?

Note, actually stating what the laws are in that manner indicates what Religion or branch of Religion generally created it. For example if "Steal" is #8 and "no other gods" is #1 then you are looking at "Hellenistic Jews, Greek Orthodox and Protestants except Lutherans". The Jews combine the "No other gods" into #2 and have #1 as "I am the Lord your God". The Protestants and Lutherans shift everything by combining the Protestant #1 & #2 into #1 and splitting Coveting into #9 Wife vs. #10 House. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_commandments)

Given that this is in Oklahoma, it makes sense that the Catholics, Lutherans and Jews weren't involved in putting it up.

See http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/6...html?site=full for the story of why it was erected in 2001.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Do well in school, little Timmy, or the government will force you and your family to starve in the cold. Well done, Tennessee. This proposed bill would deduct government assistance from needy families if their kids do poorly in school.
That Stacey Campfield who sponsored this is a real asshole. He was involved with the whole don't say gay bill embarrassment. This is an effing outrage. Let's starve children and put them on the streets if they're not doing well in school

Hateful, hateful asshole. This just makes me sick.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Yes, that exact one. I had a trial out there last Summer and had noticed the thing the first time I was there. I truly tried to be as inconspicuous as possible while snapping a photo of that curiosity. Wouldn't want the locals to think a lawyer from "The City" was cooking anything up. It's a long way back to the highway and I wouldn't want anything to happen to me. It's pretty backwards out there.

Not too far away in Kingston, OK, my grandfather was killed in a bar fight. The Marshall County sheriff tried to pass it off as a natural death despite the cause of death very obviously being blunt force trauma--lots of it. They were unsuccessful in maintaining that position though.. my father happened to be an attorney and was able to get a full autopsy done. No one in Marshall County ever investigated the incident and no witnesses ever came out of the woodwork. It's a different sort of place.

Quote:
Given that this is in Oklahoma, it makes sense that the Catholics, Lutherans and Jews weren't involved in putting it up.

See http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/6...html?site=full for the story of why it was erected in 2001.
It's kind of a given that the onus for that came from a person of the Southern Baptist persuasion. There aren't a lot of English speaking Catholics in that neck of the woods.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
That Stacey Campfield who sponsored this is a real asshole. He was involved with the whole don't say gay bill embarrassment. This is an effing outrage. Let's starve children and put them on the streets if they're not doing well in school

Hateful, hateful asshole. This just makes me sick.
The unintended consequence of this bill (or at least one) will be a huge spike in the number of children requiring services from child protective services due to abuse/neglect.

Not to mention the fact that this could put teachers in literal mortal in some cases with angry students/parents.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, that exact one. I had a trial out there last Summer and had noticed the thing the first time I was there. I truly tried to be as inconspicuous as possible while snapping a photo of that curiosity. Wouldn't want the locals to think a lawyer from "The City" was cooking anything up. It's a long way back to the highway and I wouldn't want anything to happen to me. It's pretty backwards out there.

Not too far away in Kingston, OK, my grandfather was killed in a bar fight. The Marshall County sheriff tried to pass it off as a natural death despite the cause of death very obviously being blunt force trauma--lots of it. They were unsuccessful in maintaining that position though.. my father happened to be an attorney and was able to get a full autopsy done. No one in Marshall County ever investigated the incident and no witnesses ever came out of the woodwork. It's a different sort of place.

It's kind of a given that the onus for that came from a person of the Southern Baptist persuasion. There aren't a lot of English speaking Catholics in that neck of the woods.
The scary thing to me is that *anyone* would think of Oklahoma City as a Liberal place, but I guess relatively it is...

And are there any Jews in the county at all?