GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,489
2 members and 2,487 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE

I believe it was U of Missouri who used release figures this past Fall and EVERY group took quota. Nobody is weak and everyone benefited. ).

Soap box retracted,
Denise

WISH someone would tell this to MY campus.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-08-2006, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not sure why exlurker is stating the obvious , we could list the "who is not represented on the campus" stats for every campus in the US & Canada but the point is that the campus is NOT open and many of these groups would not throw their hats in the ring even if it was.

This is like a GC discussion I had with someone else about extension at another school where one group is small and nearly a dozen are at or over total. Do they really need another group or is the campus kidding itself? There does not HAVE to always be a weak group. I believe it was U of Missouri who used release figures this past Fall and EVERY group took quota. Nobody is weak and everyone benefited. Now will expansion occur there in the future? Possibly. Does it have to? Only if the groups feel they need to lower overall chapter size and new member classes get to be cumbersome (i.e. they can no longer fit chapter meetigns in their present locations etc).

Soap box retracted,
Denise
To be fair, they just a lost a chapter there recently. So they're probably wanting to expand to replace the closed chapter as well as reduce the size of quota a bit. I doubt they're trying to create a "weak" group but add another strong one to the mix.

/I don't know the details there beyond the closed chapter
Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not sure why exlurker is stating the obvious , we could list the "who is not represented on the campus" stats for every campus in the US & Canada but the point is that the campus is NOT open and many of these groups would not throw their hats in the ring even if it was.
Many of those groups listed (mine included) are not prepared to take on a school like Bama. That's lots of $$$ and the smaller sororities just don't have those kind of resources. Not to mention the other resources needed (an expansion team, advisers, Leadership Consultants, etc). Although there are a couple on that list that would love to sink their claws in at Bama.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ucfpnm
I'm rushing at Central Florida this year...40,000 students- hundreds of rushees- and 11 sororities, and I'd just like to say this thread is freaking me out.
But the great thing about Central Florida recruitment is that while you may not get your Top 1 or Top 2 choice sorority, they make an extra effort to try and place every eligible woman with a bid. Keep an open mind and look for the chapter where you feel the most comfortable, and not necessary the 3 or 4 that all the PNM's are gushing over. Talk to the PNM's between parties but ignore the tent talk and rumors!
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zzazbama

Also I beleive the last time an expansion was done at Bama, two organizations came onto campus, only which one is left.

Bama - a campus with a history of multiple expansion:

1922 Chi Omega and Delta Zeta
1927 Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Phi Epsilon and Kappa Kappa Gamma
1932 Alpha Phi and Sigma Kappa
1967 Alpha Omicron Pi and Kappa Alpha Theta
1981 Phi Mu and Alpha Xi Delta
1988 Gamma Phi Beta

As for the NPCs not currently represented at Bama, several of them would be recolonizations, and that is looked upon favorably by many NPCs and panhellenics alike. The NPCs not currently active but with a Bama charter are:
Alpha Xi Delta (1927-1972 & 1981-1988)
Delta Phi Epsilon (1927-1973)
Alpha Phi (1932-1968)
Sigma Kappa (1932-1995)
Delta Gamma (1947-1978)
Alpha Epsilon Phi (1948-1967)

Not that Bama is open to expansion or anything.

Last edited by irishpipes; 06-08-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes

1988 Gamma Phi Beta

As for the NPCs not currently represented at Bama, several of them would be recolonizations, and that is looked upon favorably by many NPCs and panhellenics alike. The NPCs not currently active but with a Bama charter are:
Alpha Phi (1932-1968)
Sigma Kappa (1932-1995)
Delta Gamma (1947-1978)

Not that Bama is open to expansion or anything.
Thanks for that list. I didn't know all that.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

1988 Gamma Phi Beta

Alpha Phi (1932-1968)
Sigma Kappa (1932-1995)
Delta Gamma (1947-1978)
Phi Mu has been at Bama since 1931 (it's one of the so-called Old Row sororities).

If memory serves, Sigma Kappa recolonized the same year Gamma Phi Beta first came to campus (1988); not sure when they closed the first time.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an update regarding possible expansion on the University of Alabama campus. I had the privellege of speaking with our NPC Area Advisor this past weekend and asked her since our Greek Advisor had been talking about it. According to her until the University can provide housing comparable to the other sororities, no group is seriously looking to expand here as it would simply be too expensive.

Personally I don't see this as being a high priority on the University's financial "To Do" list. I also suspect the University was hoping everyone would jump at the chance to come here with an open checkbook and pay for their own housing. So I'm not sure if/when it will happen, but hey you never know.

Last edited by Zillini; 06-19-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m not sure about other Southern schools, but at MTSU the sororities (and fraternities as well) are competitive when it comes to getting the new members with the best GPAs, most athletic ability (for intermural sports), and musical/dancing talent (for the annual All Sing competition), as well as girls who have pageant experience so they can win Homecoming Queen, Miss MTSU, and the sorority's name will be associated with them, etc.

It has been especially important in the last several years for the MTSU Greek chapters to maintain high overall GPAs and to be involved in plenty of charity work in order to maintain a good reputation with the faculty and non-Greek students. The intermural sports are pretty competitive, so PNMs who were on sports teams in high school or the community definitely have an advantage as well.

In a way, the sororities at MTSU have an advantage in that there are only 7 NPC organizations and often between 300 -500 PNMs (last time I was involved directly) at the start of rush, and only about half of those girls will get into a sorority, but all 7 still “fight” for the “best” girls.

There is also a factor to consider where sometimes the girls with the best GPA, sports involvement, etc, decide they won't have the time (or money - or both) to commit to a sorority, so everyone loses out then. It's all about trying to sell Greek Life in general as WELL as selling your own GLO.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini
Last fall I was chatting with Bama's Asst Dean of Students (aka Greek Advisor)...The focus of our conversation was perhaps Bama needs another GLO on campus...This reminds me that I ought to check back with him and find out what the status is. I haven't heard anything since that conversation.
Zillini, I hope you do check back. With all the building going on, especially in the stadium area, changes are probably afoot. I heard the other day that they're considering moving the CEMETERY for stadium expansion! Reconfiguring that area would mean re-doing sorority row, which would might make space for more groups. Although the cost of building a big house is almost prohibitive, not to mention the push to get in the "right" sorority. Still...I can dream!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaLuvBunny
I’m not sure about other Southern schools, but at MTSU the sororities (and fraternities as well) are competitive when it comes to getting the new members with the best GPAs, most athletic ability (for intermural sports), and musical/dancing talent (for the annual All Sing competition), as well as girls who have pageant experience so they can win Homecoming Queen, Miss MTSU, and the sorority's name will be associated with them, etc.

It has been especially important in the last several years for the MTSU Greek chapters to maintain high overall GPAs and to be involved in plenty of charity work in order to maintain a good reputation with the faculty and non-Greek students. The intermural sports are pretty competitive, so PNMs who were on sports teams in high school or the community definitely have an advantage as well.

In a way, the sororities at MTSU have an advantage in that there are only 7 NPC organizations and often between 300 -500 PNMs (last time I was involved directly) at the start of rush, and only about half of those girls will get into a sorority, but all 7 still “fight” for the “best” girls.

There is also a factor to consider where sometimes the girls with the best GPA, sports involvement, etc, decide they won't have the time (or money - or both) to commit to a sorority, so everyone loses out then. It's all about trying to sell Greek Life in general as WELL as selling your own GLO.

I think your post brings up an interesting point, something I've said many a time here...perhaps we shouldn't be looking for the pre-made super sorority girl. The captain of everything, cured cancer at 12, debutante queen, beautiful and nice and legacy to everyone and a founder. Yes, those girls are great, and truth be told, they'll end up whereever they want under their own steam with little persuasion and be a real asset to their chapter...likely joiners.

But perhaps more energy/attention should be paid to the non-limelight girls. It's not that they are "worse" PNMs, but maybe are a first time college student, a first time rushee, from out of town and doesn't know about the Greek tradition...they may or may not have had a ton of time for sports and activities after school for various reasons (Family, work, etc). I think these girls can be a real asset to chapters, simply because they have more to gain from the sorority experience (leadership positions, group work, etc). The likely joiners will, 99% of the time, plow on to success with or without sorority life, but the non-limelight girls can use the sorority and Greek Life to their benefit and growth.

then again, Ive got no way to impliment this, and no suggestions other than "give the little guy a chance". Just something to think about.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to zzazbama
Update

So at an advisor luncheon the other day, the Greek Life Advisor at Bama said that Bama would be looking to expand in 3-4 years, hopefully sooner, if the chapters on campus that were struggling to maintain membership continued to grow and strengthen number wise. He also said that they would want 2 sororities to come on.

Although the question still remains where to put the houses. Possibly behind sorority row in the parking lot? I don’t think there is any plan to expand the stadium any more right now. Apparently doing another end zone expansion would not allow the grass to get enough sun light so there would have to be a switch to turf (this tidbit is from the Alabama Football boards). I had also heard the rumor that AOPi and Theta houses would be torn with the next expansion, but I’m think that was just rumor.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Thanks for the update, Zzazbama. Yes, the crux will be WHERE 2 additional houses will go. I don't see the university footing the bill for building houses. Unless there is some change of philosophy - a smaller house with less overhead, or the university "kicking out" all the sororities to use the land for something else (right! in your dreams!!) and designating a different area for sorority row. Frankly, I think ALL the sororities are violating fire codes or something. How can they cram that many girls into a chapter room for chapter meetings?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hazelle
Bama....wow!! We are one of the first sororities and now we are one of the ones off campus. Damn!! Hate this! Our sisterhood deserves to be regrown in Alabama soil. Why can't the Alabama alums push National to get digging and grow some Pink Kilarney Rosebuds neath the Birmingham sun?? Any 'Bama alums have any insights??

Alpha Xi from Kentucky..sisterhood forever beneath the Golden Quill
Old 12-06-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelle View Post
Bama....wow!! We are one of the first sororities and now we are one of the ones off campus. Damn!! Hate this! Our sisterhood deserves to be regrown in Alabama soil. Why can't the Alabama alums push National to get digging and grow some Pink Kilarney Rosebuds neath the Birmingham sun?? Any 'Bama alums have any insights??

Alpha Xi from Kentucky..sisterhood forever beneath the Golden Quill
My understanding is that the housing/land situation plays a big part in it, as well as when a chapter leaves Bama, the stigma stays for a LONG time.

It's not a question of your national dragging its feet and the alums needing to push them, it's a question of what will fly at the school. If the HQ is afraid of losing a giant chunk of change by recolonizing there and the recolonization not being superduper successful, it's not gonna happen. They have to look out for the whole sorority.

Any new group that comes to Bama or LSU will have to do more than "OK" - they will have to do something that literally blows everyone else away.