GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,266
3 members and 1,263 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I love this because you are such a MOM! We overly-anxious, wine drinking, cellphone clutching Moms of Recruitment salute you! No matter the prep, the anti-hovering advice, the 'it's your daughter's rush ' lectures...it's about us too!!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Please post more. I'm about ready to go buy a bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos to defray the anxiety I'm feeling.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 5 – Skit Day

I don’t hear from Debbie until later in the day which is good news. I’ve figured out the later I hear from her, the busier her schedule is, the better the news. I get an email later in the day during a break in her schedule. How crazy am I now? I have my fingers crossed as I open the email. If I had a rabbit’s foot, a lucky penny, a four leaf clover, you name it, I would have had it. Debbie has 3 houses! We/she are batting .500 now (3 out of a possible 6 houses in this round). Debbie is disappointed Sunset cut her because they were her #1 (I ask myself since when? First I’ve heard of it.) I don’t say anything because I know my parental commentary will not be appreciated at all. All I say is 3 houses is very good and to enjoy.

Coronado – They’ve pulled into the pole position after 4 days and she loves them. She absolutely loves this house and can see herself there. She hopes she doesn’t get cut. I hope she doesn’t either, not because I'm leaning toward Coronado but just because I want my baby to be happy and hasn't she been rejected enough? Honestly. Again all of these dark thoughts are kept to myself. Pollyanna is my first, middle, and last name when talking to Debbie.

South Beach – Debbie liked the girls. She said they’re warm and friendly and she feels relaxed. I remind her of the positives of a new chapter on campus, a new house, and new opportunities.

Big Beach – Debbie loves their philanthropy so she’s going to keep an open mind but she’s just not feeling it like Coronado or South Beach.

The day ends with Debbie clustering her top 3 or in Debbie’s case her remaining 3. Debbie again maximizes her options but she voices concern about South Beach and Big Beach. She loves Coronado so much she’s not sure if she can see herself at either South Beach or Big Beach. I don’t want to rain on her parade but I also want her to keep an open mind. Not sure how successful I am. She’s blinded by Coronado love. I think to myself, “Great she’s found a house she loves but it’s not like her recruitment as been a bed of roses, unless thorns count”.

As a sidenote: Debbie as you know is my one and only. She and I are very close. We talk about everything pretty honestly. I've really had to bite my tongue during this process because my parental advise isn't what she wants. She just wants a sounding board that is unjudgmental and supportive. There's a fine line between supportive and "you're just saying that because you're my mom". I've quickly learned that. By the time she and I can really talk she's already made her decisions about clustering so she's not asking for my advice. She just wants a voice from home. Even though I seem to have become a completely different woman, I get that. I've really learned to think quickly though when Debbie calls. I never know what to expect so my first response better be good. So much pressure for a caffeine hyped, sleep deprived 40+ year old woman.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Now I'm getting nervous!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

So, um not to rush you or anything, but pref day please.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

A few bits and pieces

Debbie's school sends out an email at the end of every day to the parents to tell us about the day and what's scheduled for the next day. After noon every day my time I am checking my smart phone every minute, hitting F5 on my computer, waiting for the email. It's my little lifeline to something, anything.

My smartphone has become my best friend. I keep it on constantly and usually I turn it off at the end of the day. Not during recruitment. Something might happen during the night. Something might happen early in the morning. My Debbie may need me.

I visit GreekChat first thing in the morning. I keep it open throughout the day, hitting F5 hoping for new Bedlam news. Maybe somebody in the know will know something and share it. It's the last site I look at before I try to go to sleep.

I am becoming obsessed.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

oh.my.pins.and.needles!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

nope, I'm saying...but I will say that I'm enjoying this story.

I hope its good news for Debbie

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Not since 50 Shades have I looked forward to turning the page....we're waiting...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 6 - Pref Day

Another day starts with me looking for an email or text or something from Debbie. No news is good news is my motto. It is later in the day when I hear from Debbie via email. She emails during a break and it’s about 3 emails back and forth of chit chat. I’m trying to be a good mom, I don’t ask just in case it’s the worst. Finally Debbie tells me she was invited back to all 3 including the beloved Coronado. What took her so long to tell me? I press my hand on my right eye to stop my eye from twitching and I feel a dull pain near my shoulder. I say a quick prayer and hope for the best. I tell her that's great news and she finished with the max 3 which after her rocky start wasn't too shabby. I'm the eternal optimist when talking to Debbie.

I hear from Debbie later that day, after the 3 visits, but before preffing.

Big Beach – The girls are so nice to her but she feels they want her more than she wants them. I understand the emotion but is that such a bad thing? I remind her of their strengths, their philanthropy, and the positives. She doesn’t appear to be too swayed.

Coronado – All this visit did was show her even more how much she loves this house, these girls; everything screams to her she should be a Coronado. I’m excited about her excitement but after reading so many threads on GC, I want to temper the enthusiasm. Fine line between being excited and being cautious. Again, not really hearing mom’s words.

South Beach – Debbie likes the girls, she’s comfortable, but they’re not Coronado. She’s also not sure how she feels about them not having a physical house. She’s seen the pics but it’s not the same thing. I point out she’s not going to live in a house the first year anyway.

Debbie says she’s not sure if she can see herself in any house beside Coronado. She’s not sure if she wants either South Beach or Big Beach if she doesn’t get Coronado. By now both my eyes are twitching and I’m a little irritated with darling Debbie. As rough as recruitment started now this?! She can’t just be happy she has 3 options? What is the matter with her? I don’t mention SIP at all because I don’t want to give Debbie any crazy ideas. I swear if she does I may have to fly back out there and kick her in the butt after I give her a big hug. My biggest mom moment - I keep the irritation out of my voice, put my happy face on, and tell Debbie I love her and to keep an open mind.

So Debbie and her group go to the computers and do their thing. She was torn how to rank South Beach and Big Beach. Neither was Coronado and they both had plusses/minuses over each other. Her rank was:

1 – Coronado easily. She loves them, she wants them, she’s already picking out Coronado decorations, etc.

2 – South Beach. She’s always been positive about this house since Day 1. I hope she can remember that.

3 – Big Beach. Unfortunately this house has been near the bottom since Day 1. Every house has its positives and the biggest is they keep inviting her back. I hope she can keep an open mind.

She’s excited and nervous about Bid Day. She’s hoping for Coronado and I hope for the best. Dad just wants any house because he knows if she doesn't get a house there will be some unhappy Debbies in his universe. Would it be such a bad thing if she actually got her #1? Would it be so bad if her recruitment ended with a happily ever after (in her eyes)? I am exhausted and glad this is almost over. I can only imagine how Debbie feels.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

I am so thankful I went through recruitment before the invention of the internet, cell phones and hover parenting. I guess that's also why I didn't get obsessive with any of my three when they went through.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^Oh Lordy, obsessive was my middle name!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow I am loving this!!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

MUST HAVE UPDATE. Finish your wine and tell me the end of the story. I wished for a Bedlam Rush, now I have one, and I want to know if I have a sister.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys, the fridge has gone on the fritz. Pressing matters call me away. Good thing I never shop for groceries anymore. Will post the finale after the fridge gets fixed.
Closed Thread