GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,267
2 members and 1,265 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 05-17-2011, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
They are what's "left over" after the other sororities get the first years.
They are a chapter for the "rejects."
They are a chapter for the oppressed who simply want their piece of the pie.

As found in peer reviewed journal articles such as "House Bunny," "Mean Girls," and "Never Been Kissed," the rejects watch from a distance but secretly want to be one of the cool kids if only for one day. And those who can, do and those who cannot, join Kaorin_Kanoe's chapter.
You know NOTHING about MY sorority on MY campus in MY state.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin_Kanoe View Post
*eats popcorn as he waits for Dr.Phil to lay the smackdown*
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So this is the stupidity that I end up coming back to...smh. You all will never understand. I don't expect you to.
Of course we won't! We're too busy decorating our cutesy houses for recruitment and driving our Barbie dream cars around town to waste any time trying to understand you!

@~/~~~~
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Ahem. If I may interject... I'm in a small, national sorority whose chapters range from around 2-10 members each. If you don't want to be a member of your organization anymore, don't be. But, don't "blame" your organization's non-NPC status for your lack of interest.

If a woman wants to join an NPC organization, then she probably shouldn't look into your sorority and end up disappointed. If you aren't finding interested women, it's because you're not looking hard enough, representing your organization proudly enough, and/or personally connecting with women who might be interested.

Based on your attitude, I wouldn't want to be your sister.
Should I cry that you don't want to be my sister. Trust me, the feeling is mutual. I'm tired of people asking me that if I wanted to be NPC then why did I colonize with KBG. I. AM. NOT. A. FOUNDING. SISTER. And you have some nerve saying that we're not looking hard enough. You don't know what goes on on my campus that prohibits from getting the results that we would like. My sister wear our letters everyday even though we're blatantly outnumbered. I don't think you know what it's like to have people say to your face that they're pledging Delta or Alpha before they're even eligible to apply to greek life. Excuse me if I've been sounding like a total monster on GC, but it's painful to hear people say that they won't join us strictly because we're not NPC. We're in the middle of a catch 22. They say we're too small but then people won't join us. As of right now I have 13 and as of next year there will be 5 of us left. The other sororities are just begging that we get kicked off campus because so that they can satisfy their quota. The shallow reasons that people DO give for joining an NPC is hysterical. If I join I get a free Tiffany's necklace. If I join I get to wear their letters. If I join I get a free credit card (I kid you not) But nope...nobody wants any sisterhood...just a new pair of diamond earrings. So come on. Let me have it. Shame on me for reaching out for a little help from the Greek community.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL.

Why are you so goddamn pressed?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
LOL.

Why are you so goddamn pressed?
I'm just trying to figure out why all the website's members are being so hostile with me. I didn't do anything wrong but ask a question.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Miss Kaorin_Kanoe: there are enough rather involved alumnae on the regional/national/NPC levels on this board that knows quite a bit about Greek Life on hundreds if not thousands of campuses (campii??) in North America. Maybe not your individual chapter, but quite possibly in your state and on your campus. Not intended to freak you out or anything, but sadly none of us are as anonymous as we may think on a message board. Just a bit of food for thought...

Heading back to sip mimosas with KSUViolet under my big beach umbrella on the island of I'm In An NPC Sorority and You're Not.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So this is the stupidity that I end up coming back to...smh. You all will never understand. I don't expect you to.
Someone here doesn't understand.

I don't think it's who you think it is.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Someone here doesn't understand.

I don't think it's who you think it is.
It's cool, I understand now. My girls and I are on our own and we'll just have to fend for ourselves. I guess that's all there is to it.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why all the website's members are being so hostile with me. I didn't do anything wrong but ask a question.
You would have gotten a better answer if you asked a Magic 8 ball.

But, seriously. I think a big mistake GC newbies make, such as yourself, is to assume that GC holds all the answers to your GLO issue(s). We don't.

Do we offer suggestions and helpful advice as much as possible, we do.

We can not solve your problem for you. We can not give you the specific answers you are looking for.

If you are as frustrated as you seem, then talk it out with those on your campus who can help you the most. No, we don't know your campus, sorority, or how Greek life really is on your campus. So, we can not not offer any specific advice to you.

If you are having trouble recruiting, think about why. Talk it over with your chapter. Talk it over with your Greek life adviser. Sometimes many chapters go through cycles. You just might be in a "down" part of the cycle, but that does not mean it is the end of the world for your chapter. You and your chapter just may have to work harder, and that could be a good thing. What you are going through now may be the catalyst your chapter needs to pull together. And, when other girls on campus see y'all clicking, that is what attracts people - seeing true sister / brotherhood.

I don't think you want to give up. It sounds like you are at the end of your rope, and you don't know what to do now. Don't give up.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Should I cry that you don't want to be my sister. Trust me, the feeling is mutual. I'm tired of people asking me that if I wanted to be NPC then why did I colonize with KBG. I. AM. NOT. A. FOUNDING. SISTER. And you have some nerve saying that we're not looking hard enough. You don't know what goes on on my campus that prohibits from getting the results that we would like. My sister wear our letters everyday even though we're blatantly outnumbered. I don't think you know what it's like to have people say to your face that they're pledging Delta or Alpha before they're even eligible to apply to greek life. Excuse me if I've been sounding like a total monster on GC, but it's painful to hear people say that they won't join us strictly because we're not NPC. We're in the middle of a catch 22. They say we're too small but then people won't join us. As of right now I have 13 and as of next year there will be 5 of us left. The other sororities are just begging that we get kicked off campus because so that they can satisfy their quota. The shallow reasons that people DO give for joining an NPC is hysterical. If I join I get a free Tiffany's necklace. If I join I get to wear their letters. If I join I get a free credit card (I kid you not) But nope...nobody wants any sisterhood...just a new pair of diamond earrings. So come on. Let me have it. Shame on me for reaching out for a little help from the Greek community.
I, for the record, am also in a national non-NPC.

1. We understand you are not a founding sister. Why I don't get is why you joined KBG when you could have joined a NPC, if you wanted that. Why did you join if NPC is what you want?

2. Yes, NPC women DO know what it's like to have someone tell them that "Oh, I'm not joining your sorority. I'm going to be in Delta or Alpha, not in yours". It happens constantly.

3. Seriously? A free credit card? Maybe I'm missing something, but I seriously doubt that has a shred of truth to it.

I really think that your chapter is recruiting wrong. My national, non-NPC chapter does two phases of recruitment: (1) a modified formal, with PHA and (2) informal.

The girls we bring in through formal recruitment join because we fit their ideal chapter, either via sisterhood or the programming. The girls who join through informal join because we are not a traditional NPC organization. We are smaller, with professional programing based in the sciences and engineering.

If you are marketing yourself as a "knock-off" NPC, it is no shock you are having membership problems. You need to demonstrate what you have in common with your Panhellenic Sisters, but also what makes you different.

Once our chapter started operating in that way, we haven't had an issue with numbers. We are at a lower total than the NPCs on campus, but it's one we have set and we maintain every year. We cut women regularly, rather than allowing anyone to join (which is another HUGE mistake some small groups make. Quantity is NEVER equal to quality). We have made well above our desired quota every year.

It's not that being in an NPC gives you a magical house with Tiffany's bracelets and free credit cards. It's that they have many things to offer and they are marketing it as such. Your chapter is currently not.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!

Last edited by AOEforme; 05-17-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's cool, I understand now. My girls and I are on our own and we'll just have to fend for ourselves. I guess that's all there is to it.
See, here is your problem. Your defeatist attitude. People pick up on that easily.

Turn yourself around. Take a minute and calm down. The situation is not as bad as you are making it.

Focus on what you feel your chapter does right. Maybe it is a philanthropy / fund raiser event. Maybe y'all are known on campus for showing the most spirit during homecoming week, something like that.

The way you are going now you are just showing all your negatives - and every chapter has that. The difference is that successful chapter, no matter the council, accentuates the positives about their chapter.

It can be as simple as effective marketing.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Uhh...were we supposed to fend for you?

If you're having issues recruiting, you need to step up your efforts, not try to switch organizations.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
campuses (campii??)
Campi correct is you're speaking Latin and pretentious if you're speaking English.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
You would have gotten a better answer if you asked a Magic 8 ball.

But, seriously. I think a big mistake GC newbies make, such as yourself, is to assume that GC holds all the answers to your GLO issue(s). We don't.

Do we offer suggestions and helpful advice as much as possible, we do.

We can not solve your problem for you. We can not give you the specific answers you are looking for.

If you are as frustrated as you seem, then talk it out with those on your campus who can help you the most. No, we don't know your campus, sorority, or how Greek life really is on your campus. So, we can not not offer any specific advice to you.

If you are having trouble recruiting, think about why. Talk it over with your chapter. Talk it over with your Greek life adviser. Sometimes many chapters go through cycles. You just might be in a "down" part of the cycle, but that does not mean it is the end of the world for your chapter. You and your chapter just may have to work harder, and that could be a good thing. What you are going through now may be the catalyst your chapter needs to pull together. And, when other girls on campus see y'all clicking, that is what attracts people - seeing true sister / brotherhood.

I don't think you want to give up. It sounds like you are at the end of your rope, and you don't know what to do now. Don't give up.
Thank you. You're the only one who hasn't yelled at me or told me to go off myself.