GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,143
1 members and 1,142 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 10-16-2000, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Miss America

Am I the only closet pageant (even though they said it is no longer called a 'pageant'--it is just "Miss America") junkie out there?
If so, what did you think of Saturday's Pagea...errr competition? Did you agree with the 5 finalist? What about the choice for Miss America? What did you think of the talent competition? What about the interviews? I'll give my views in a moment.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited October 16, 2000).]
Old 10-16-2000, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I didn't watch it. I haven't watched a pageant...I mean, a competetion since a Miss South Carolina won a few years ago. I think it is great that Miss Hawaii won the title. The newspaper reported that she is the first to win of Asian descent.

I also read that Miss California was the first or second runner-up and she, too, is an Asian-American. This reminds me of 1984 when Vanessa Williams won as the first black Miss America and Suzette Charles was the first runner-up. What a coincidence...or is it?

Old 10-16-2000, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

AKAtude, Miss California, was 2nd runner up. Miss Louisiana (an African American) was first runner up. They were actually the 2 that I was pulling for. Miss Hawaii was, to me, 3rd. ((shows what I know!))

I edited my post after verifying Miss California's place.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited October 16, 2000).]
Old 10-16-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Now it may have been my imagination...but it seemed to me like they allowined women of larger size to run in this pageant, because I saw a few that didn't fit the stereotype (size 2-3-4).

I was rooting for Miss Michigan (wasn't she the 19-yr. old sista??) but she got cut @ the top 5 finalists...

Classy_Diva5
Old 10-16-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I am glad that they finally got a Ms. Hawaii that actually is of Asian descent. It seems to me that in these competitions the women from Hawaii are always blondes with deep tans.
Akatude: I understand what you mean about the coincidence, but I don't think I understand th purpose. It seems to me that if anyone, they would cater to the up and coming Latino population, if there was any kind of set-up. You know, first it was us and now the next largest, soon to be largest, ethnic group is the Latino population. Are you feeling me?
Old 10-16-2000, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Hi everyone,
I caught 15 minutes of the competition. Classy_Diva5, I can see what you're talking about. The women that were in the competition were not the small women that you would see a few years ago. It's good that things are changing.

I haven't spoken to you for awhile Miss AKAtude! God Bless and hope everything is going well for you.

Peace and Blessings.
Old 10-17-2000, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I enjoyed this year's competition (except that performance by O-town!).

Even though there were not many non-Caucasians in the entire 51, I enjoy the fact that the top 3 positions were won by non-Caucasians. I am glad to see that the diversity of Americans is finally being recognized in that venue.

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate
Old 10-17-2000, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to add that Miss Louisiana (home girl) made history!

She won the most money than any other contestant in pageant history.

She won the Talent competition AND the SWIMSUIT competition! A SISTA winning the SWIMSUIT competition! LOL

Ms. Jenkins, Miss Louisiana, is a Law School student at Southern University!!!
Old 10-18-2000, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello Ladies!

I was very pleased w/ the outcome of the competition this year. I have to give many props to the sista representing my home of Michigan! I think she would've been in the top 5 if she weren't so young! Did you see when they did her little bio? Her class picture said "Class of 2000"...I was like "What!? 2000??" She looked like she was 25! Anyway, she should try again next year...I think she'd have a good chance.

I was very happy to see some ladies of color up in the top 5. I'm glad that the world of Miss America is finally getting some diversity! After Miss Michigan got cut I had to root for Miss Louisiana (that's my mom's home). But I liked all the ladies of color. They were all really involved w/ their communities and w/ their families. That was lovely to see.
Old 10-19-2000, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Hi Sorors and Sisterfriends,

I know I have been pretty quiet, but school has me swamped.

I did watch the pageant or competition(to be politcally correct) last week. I was pleased to see that two African Americans made it to the the top ten along with Miss Mississippi. After Miss Louisiana made it to the top 5, I had to pull for her, to top that off she goes to a SWAC school, SU.
I actually think that she should have won the title, but who am I?

Just my .08 cents.
Old 10-20-2000, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Classy_Diva5:
Now it may have been my imagination...but it seemed to me like they allowined women of larger size to run in this pageant, because I saw a few that didn't fit the stereotype (size 2-3-4).

I was rooting for Miss Michigan (wasn't she the 19-yr. old sista??) but she got cut @ the top 5 finalists...

Classy_Diva5

Classy_Diva5, I too was pleasantly suprised at the size of the some of the state winners. I remember reading an article recently about how the BMI (Body Mass Index--measures your fat to muscle ratio, I think) has gotten lower and lower for Miss Americas in the past ten years.

Miss Michigan was 18-19 years old Oh My!!

I think the reason Miss California did not win was because of all of her comments about make-up and how she did not wear any, but was sitting there with 'full face' on. She also spoke about how girls should be themselves and there is no 'pageant look'. She seemed a little disingenuous to me.

A biggg "You go girl!" to Miss Louisiana for winning more money than anyone else!! How in the world did she lose?!?!?

mccoyred, I am soooooo feeling you on O-town!! But when you have the network's backing, what can you do?
Old 10-20-2000, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Greetings Sisters and friends!
I had to jump in here...O-Town was indeed VERY WHACK!!!!! Scary state of affairs.

I am going to put myself out there for a minute now. Is it me or was Donnie Osmond actually off the hook? His performance took me totally by suprise.

I know everyone has been saying Miss America is of Asian decent...but I swore she was a Latina sister. last name...Perez? Hmm, can anyone confirm this?

Have a good day!

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred:
I enjoyed this year's competition (except that performance by O-town!).

Even though there were not many non-Caucasians in the entire 51, I enjoy the fact that the top 3 positions were won by non-Caucasians. I am glad to see that the diversity of Americans is finally being recognized in that venue.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 10-21-2000, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel0497
Wink

Greetings!
I must say, I am definitely a pageant...uh, I mean competition, junkie. I watch not only the national ones(Miss USA, Miss America), but also the state competitions. Even though I am from TX, I was glad to see Miss TX was not in the top five...she looks like the same type of person they send EVERY year. I was pulling for Cali, LA, and Hawaii. I too am wondering how Miss HI won if Miss LA won two out of three categories, and especially if she won more money than anyone else.(Did y'all see the look of disbelief she had for that split second after they announced the winner?) Miss Hawaii wasn't that spectacular to me, and in the interview portion she sounded if as if the questions they asked confused her, cause she didn't answer them completely. Maybe they decided that we'd had enough Miss Americas-it was time to let another minority win. To my soror Finer Woman10-A-91, I think that most of the ethnic Hawaiians there are considered to be of Asian descent-there are also a number of Filipinos who have Spanish surnames, but they have Asian features. Probably another one of the results of Western colonization. And oh yes, O-Town was indeed whack, I just sat there and thought,"they sounded better on Making the Band...ABC should be ashamed!" But that Donny Osmond...the man is at least 40 and tore it up! He made me reminisce back to when I was a very little girl watching his show with Marie. Next year, I want to see more of him!!!!!

------------------
Sassy, Classy, but never Trashy-The Ladies of Z Phi B!
Old 10-23-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Finer Woman10-A-91:

I am going to put myself out there for a minute now. Is it me or was Donnie Osmond actually off the hook? His performance took me totally by suprise.
I am going to agree with you! I guess he is more than a "li'l bit o' rock'n'roll" these days! LOL!!

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate