GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,409
2 members and 2,407 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-13-2000, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Average number of sororities

Last edited by Jen; 08-13-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2000, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I think this largely depends on the type of campus (i.e. state, private, religious, etc.) as well as the size.

I graduated from a small, private, Lutheran school. We had 3 social local sororities, 1 national service sorority (Omega Phi Alpha), 3 local social fraternities, 1 national professional fraternity (Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia), and 2 national co-ed fraternities (Alpha Phi Omega + Phi Beta).

A very small percentage of our student body was greek (and the entire body was under 2,000 when I was there).

I don't think I can give you an average for schools in general, as I have only attended one as an undergrad

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-13-2000, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

At my school, a 3,000 student private college in Virginia, greek life was HUGE. I remember hearing that 50% of women and 40% of men were greek. That's a lot considering the size of the school. We had no locals--they weren't allowed. The NPC's were Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, TriDelt, Kappa, Theta and PiPhi. We also had AKA and DST. We had lost one NPC sorority due to declining numbers. For fraternities, we had no BGLO's but we did have IFC's--KappaSig, Sigma Chi, SigEp, PIKA, PhiDelt, & FIJI. We lost 2 other frats because of hazing incidents. Several black men did join BGLO's at a neighboring school but there wasn't a big interest in starting one at ours. Each sorority had between 105 and 150 members and the fraternities had probably (i'm really not sure) about 20-60.

Alpha Phi Omega, the service frat, was also a big part of campus life and a lot of greeks also joined it.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-21-2000, 09:14 AM
dubyuhnell_theta

Talking

I go to washington & lee university in lexington, va. it is a very small, private school w/ only about 1700 undergrads. we have 5 national sororities: kappa alpha theta (which i am), kappa delta, kappa kappa gamma, chi omega, and pi beta phi. we have 15 national fraternities. each sorority has about 125 members (pledge classes of about 30) and fraternities have 40-50 on average (pledge classes of 12-16).

bear in mind that this is a very greek school, though. 75% of students pledge. i think it is unusual for a school of this size to have so many houses.
Old 06-21-2000, 06:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Talking

Aries,

Since you'll be rushing at UBC here are our stats. Most of the sororities are between 25-35 members (average).

[This message has been edited by Siobhan (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old 06-21-2000, 08:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Talking

Aries,

You're right, UBC ceiling is 40. However they are talking about raising it to at least 45-50 by the end of next year, and up to 60 over the next few. Personally I hope this doesn't happen: 40 is a great number, you know all the girls in your chapter, but once you get above that, it becomes so impersonal. 40 is good, I could deal with 45, 50 is really pushing it. 60, I don't want to imagine...
I'm not totally sure who sets the number. I believe that NPC advises us and the UBC chapters vote.

[This message has been edited by Siobhan (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old 06-24-2000, 02:22 PM
CanadianGirl

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ariesrising:
Quota is something like 40 at UBC right? Who sets that number?
AriesRising, Back in the "old days" of when the old Panhellenic House on NW Marine Drive was still standing, the suites for the sororities were not that large. Each sorority had their meetings on Wednesday nights, where all members had to attend. I believe that due to the square footage of each room, the Vancouver Fire Dept. deemed that the full capacity of each room was 40, and thus, this is the max. no. of "40" came to be. I imagine that with the construction of the new, larger, Panhel House (which will include actually residence rooms that people will live and sleep int), the chapters would be able to become larger, and still being to evacuate quickly if a fire were to occur.