GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,221
Threads: 114,209
Welcome to our newest member, anessjnr6131

Old 10-08-2017, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Typically, the PHs that give a GPA to the sororities for the PNMs give the core subject GPAs that the school accepted for admission.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 AM

Back in my day, , my Virginia high school only weighted the GPA if you got a 4 or 5 on the AP test; BUT, the AP classes used a different grading scale than the normal/honors classes.
For AP it was a 10 point scale. The lowest points per grade were 90=A, 80=B, 70=C, 60=D.
For other classes it was a 6 point scale. 94-100=A, 87-93=B, 79-86=C and 70-78=D.

So, by default your AP classes were weighted more favorably without being obvious. But I hated the 6 point scale with a passion. Especially since I was from California and knew that it was not the norm! I still think about how much better my GPA could have been if the scale had been standard with the rest of the country.

*Both were on a 4.0 scale, not the 6.0 scale that some schools use.

*I googled and found out that VA Beach has come out of the dark ages as of 2010! It looks like in the mid 80s they moved to the 6 point scale from the 5 point scale. In reading another link, it sounds like quite a few schools in VA still have scales other than the 10. https://pilotonline.com/news/local/e...70180d2a3.html

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 10-09-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 PM

^ So, if you took AP classes during your senior year, you wouldn't know your definitive final HS GPA until AP grades were sent out in July?

How did your HS determine class rank? Did they just go by your GPA as of the end of junior year, appropriately weighted if you'd taken any AP classes during your sophomore and junior years? (That's what my HS did. Class rank was based on your GPA as of the end of junior year - and, as I mentioned earlier, GPA was completely unweighted. I could have completely blown off my senior year and gotten straight F's and I would still have been valedictorian.)
Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
^ So, if you took AP classes during your senior year, you wouldn't know your definitive final HS GPA until AP grades were sent out in July?

How did your HS determine class rank? Did they just go by your GPA as of the end of junior year, appropriately weighted if you'd taken any AP classes during your sophomore and junior years? (That's what my HS did. Class rank was based on your GPA as of the end of junior year - and, as I mentioned earlier, GPA was completely unweighted. I could have completely blown off my senior year and gotten straight F's and I would still have been valedictorian.)
Yes, the weight was so small though, less than a tenth and only if you scored 4 or 5. (In San Diego, it seems it's at least a tenth and has a bigger impact.) I want to say we had our test scores before mid-June when we graduated, because I was over the moon to have done better on the test than my class grades would have indicated.

When it came to class rank, our upper tier students were so neck and neck that you would think that the bump would make a bigger difference. We sure as heck knew where each other landed on the list and what classes everyone was taking. The truth was though that since they were taking the same classes and getting similar grades they'd get the same scores too. So it was a wash.

Actually, my senior year there was DRAMA, because a girl returned to our school that year, after having been in Boston for 9th-11th grade. She had gone to VB schools through Junior High so she was well known. Based on GPA she was #2, but everyone pointed out that her grades were "easier". The girl who was edged out of the honor was eventually allowed to give a speech at graduation as an "honorary" salutatorian.

Googling again, it looks like now they weight based on your class grade instead of your test score. I'm not sure how I feel about that though, now everyone who passes those classes gets a bump. That would make it more impactful.

Here's what VA Beach has for weighting:
After the grade point average of the student has been determined, bonus credit will be added for advanced placement courses and specifically approved courses such as international baccalaureate and magnet courses. The Department of Teaching and Learning will determine which courses are to receive bonus credit. Bonus credit will be awarded as follows for year courses: (A, A-) =.0488, (B+, B, B-) =.0366, (C+, C, C-) =.0244, (D+, D) =.0122, E=O. Bonus credit will be awarded as follows for semester courses: (A , A-) = .0244; (B+, B, B-) = .0183; (C+, C, C-) = .0122; (D+, D) = .0061; and E = 0.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I want to say we had our test scores before mid-June when we graduated, because I was over the moon to have done better on the test than my class grades would have indicated.
When I was in HS in the early 1990s, we didn't get our AP test scores until July. I distinctly remember my AP computer science teacher signing my yearbook (in June) congratulating me on being the first woman in the school district to get a 5 on the AP CS test. The tests had not even been scored. He told me that my classwork was so exemplary that he'd be shocked if I didn't get a 5. Sure enough ... I got my test scores in mid-July and I'd gotten a 5.

I had the opposite experience from yours when I took AP US History. I got straight A's in the class, but I only scored a 2 on the exam. I always hated social studies and history.

Anyway - I'm threadjacking. KSUViolet is bang on. You're not getting into a sorority if your grades are mediocre. Every sorority has a national minimum GPA for initiation. Every sorority chapter is looking to be above the all-sorority and all-greek average GPA. So if your GPA is 2.49, your chances are slim to none, and Slim just left town.