GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,389
3 members and 2,386 guests
flirt5721, JayhawkAOII, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
He probably wouldn't be considered cute to a 20something...lol. He doesn't have hair on his head but he has a great smile and great expressive eyes, a goatee and a small moustache. He's a very big guy.. 6' 1" He has a couple small tattoos and looks kind of gruff, like a biker. But then he speaks and he's very well spoken, soft spoken and his touch is very gentle and tender. He's a big softie. I told him he is a gentle giant. He communicates very openly and I really like that.

He has done a lot of different things to earn money including being a full time breeder and operating a kennel. Most of the time, he worked as an over the road trucker and then as a local steel hauler. We were talking about the truck driver culture and how it is a whole world that others don't know exist and he said he tried to distance himself from it as much as he could because most of them weren't the kind of people he liked to surround himself with. He has degenerative disk disease and had to quit driving because the constant vibration was messing up his back more. He's had 3 surgeries on his back. Most recently, he had knee surgery. He is also good at fixing just about anything and has been fixing friends' cars on the side. He's on disability right now because he can't do any of these physical things long enough to work a full day at it. He's really into electronics and computers too and is going to take classes in the fall to get some computer certifications in hopes of getting a job in IT. He doesn't like being on disability but doesn't have a degree or anything to rely on.

We talked about so many different things. We talked about politics and national health care and social issues and are on the same page in our thinking on those things. We talked about spirituality and some of our experiences in that realm. We also ended up in a discussion about the paranormal. There have been a couple times where I was thinking about sending him a text and right then, he sent a text to say he was thinking about me. Both times, I sent one back saying I was just thinking about him and was about to text. We each have had some of those kinds of experiences with others also. Used to happen a lot with my mom. When I was a teenager, I would come out of my room and ask her what she wanted and she would say "I didn't call you, but I was about to" and sometimes, when we weren't living together I would think "I should call my mom" and the phone would ring and it was her. The morning that my Italian grandfather passed away, I woke up and my first thought was "Nano died" and the phone rang a few minutes later with the news. He has had similar things happen.

While we were waiting for a table at the restaurant, we went to the bar area in the basement. We were having the above discussion when we were upstairs again. I asked him if he felt anything odd when we were in the basement because I had a sense there that was another presence down there. He said he had felt that too. Then he told me about the ghost in his house.

He bought an 85 year old house which had belong to a woman named Mrs. Beck. Her parents had built the house and she was born in it, lived in it her whole life and died there. When he first moved in, there were times that the his dogs would cower in the corner and stare in one spot. He didn't know what was going on and took a picture of them doing this once. He showed me the picture and there is a blurry image in the corner of the picture. He often hears footsteps upstairs when he is alone in the house and doors slam upstairs. He has seen her a few times, usually in the living room or going up the stairs. He believes it is Mrs. Beck. I asked him if it was scary and he said no, not at all. He thinks she loves the house and doesn't want to leave it and he has reassured her that he will take good care of it. He's been restoring the wood work little by little and is going to restore the hardwood floors too. It's a beautiful house with gorgeous woodwork, arched plaster doorways, lots of beautiful built in cabinets. A house with real character. It has five bedrooms. He has left the bedroom that Mrs. Beck used empty out of respect for her. That's another area where he hears her and has seen her. He said when he walked in the house, he got this "welcome" feeling and knew he had to buy it before he'd left the foyer. He thinks she is glad someone who loves the house the way she did has purchased it and is giving it the love it deserves. There were a couple times that I felt like we were being watched, but I had no experiences. He said that if he liked me, then Mrs. Beck would like me too. The dogs have gotten used to her and aren't scared of her anymore.

He seems to have a large group of really good friends. He talked about several of them, including a friend who owns a pizzeria across the street from him. The pizzeria is struggling so he walks over a few evenings a week and helps his buddy in exchange for a pizza. It sounds like a lot of his friends help and support each other in ways like that. He fixes a friend's car and that friend plants stuff in his yard, etc. Kind of a cool support system.

He's been married three times. He has a 29 year old son from his first marriage, which lasted 10 years. They got divorced after she cheated on him. He remarried and after 5 years, she was killed in a car accident. He has a step son from that marriage and remains in contact with him. His third marriage ended because she had a real issue with spending money and he couldn't take it anymore. She was always putting them in really bad financial situations. He is still friends with her and has become really good friends with her new husband, who comes by his house every morning for coffee.

I almost forgot another story he told. After Hurricane Ike, he made several trips to Galveston with his truck, to deliver relief supplies.. without pay. He said he ended up forging some friendships during that time too and he teared up a little when he was talking about the devastation he saw and how bizarre it was.

I'm not sure Ice Cream Guy is the best name for him as I'm getting to know him better. In my mind, he is the Gentle Giant. But I don't want to disappoint agzg, who dubbed him Ice Cream Guy.
This is more than you've written about a man in a looooooon time. Sounds like somebody's a little twitterpated.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
This is more than you've written about a man in a looooooon time. Sounds like somebody's a little twitterpated.
I learned a new word today!

@~/~~~~
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I learned a new word today!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXBbgzQmpJw

Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
Haha.. clearly it's been a looooong time since I've seen that movie.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Yippeee, Dee!!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, he used that word about himself yesterday. So we were texting a little bit back and forth earlier today. Today was supposed to be cleaning and laundry day but I was having a hard time getting motivated. I've been running at high gear for a long time now. I pretty much "lost" last weekend because I got home from our Convention around 2 pm on Sunday and had to hurry up and do laundry, buy groceries, make dinner for the kids, etc. Monday, I started feeling sick and I've had a cold all week so I was pretty wiped out today. I made breakfast around 10:30 and went back to bed til almost 2 pm. Woke up and he had sent me a text asking how I was doing. I told him I just woke up again and was having trouble getting motivated to clean the house and do laundry. He asked if I wanted to hang out.. said he'd be available around 5 so I said sure. That was motivation to get my bathroom clean and vacuum and get started on laundry!

So he came over. I gave him the grand tour of my house (no good ghost stories here though) and we just hung out and talked. We grabbed dinner at Boston Market and then he had to go. He can't really leave the puppies for more than three hours or so.

We talked today about how we are both feeling a strong connection and we both want to move slowly and not mess it up. I told him I have a hard time trusting and he said he could sense that already but he'd been waiting 51 years and he would be patient and show me that he really is a good guy. He said he can tell that I work really hard in my life and that I need to just relax and have fun more.

I offered to pay for dinner tonight and he let me. I told him that I am aware that his financial situation is tight, being on disability, and he said he figured my funds weren't unlimited either and we'd be careful, cook in, (he loves to cook... has a very well equipped kitchen!), that we're partners in this and we will be able to do more if we share the load. It was a good conversation and I'm glad we had it.

I'm trying not to be twitterpated too early. We'll have dinner again this week sometime.. perhaps he is cooking.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Uh huh. Like I said.

Twitterpated.

Seriously, this is so exciting! I'm happy for you. It sounds like you two are starting on the good foot. I'm totally Team Ice Cream Guy. Keep us updated!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Just trying not to put the cart before the horse. Taking it one date at a time. Although, he's making a list of all the things we should do together and it's getting quite long!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just trying not to put the cart before the horse. Taking it one date at a time.
This.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just trying not to put the cart before the horse. Taking it one date at a time. Although, he's making a list of all the things we should do together and it's getting quite long!
It's good the first date went well. ....and it's not lost on me that two Michiganders, wanting sooo much happinesss out of a new relationship, turned to OHIO to provide the backdrop for entertainment. (it's almost football season. sorry)

ok, the ghost, picture-taking thing is a bit odd to me

and his 3rd wife's husband falling through his house every morning for coffee is a bit different, as well but, hey, if you're feeling the guy, have fun ...but go slow.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
(Snort)
LOL.

And I still say that mature, adult men should not get offended when you assert that they CAN in fact control their penises and the responsibility is NOT only on women (for heterosexual men) to determine whether or not there will be a sexual encounter. It is really lame when people perpetuate the stereotype that men are walking penises who will hit it with no level of discernment. Thank goodness for the men who are proud to say that they are more than a penis and they will not sex every attractive person who makes themself even remotely available.
/rant

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-30-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
ok, the ghost, picture-taking thing is a bit odd to me .
Quote:
and his 3rd wife's husband falling through his house every morning for coffee is a bit different, as well
lol
Ditto. But, as long as he and Dee are okay with that, and have a lot in common, that's what matters. It's about being equally yoked and having common interests and values. As long as Dee knows her own worth (and she does ) and has not lowered her standards --settling for less than the best of herself, then she's a winner.

I just brought that up because, more often than not, a lot of women and men have embraced the philosophy that anything is better than nothing. This is what happens when a woman or a man has no idea where she/he is going or what she/he is entitled to.

I would sing Dee another cheer, but I only have like 15 more minutes on my lunch hour. Go Dee!

Quote:
...but go slow.
Yes! Exactly. You'd be surprised at what "time" will reveal. And take in every word, too. That's important.

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 07-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The sign you have a good friendship with somebody? You reveal you are attracted to his sister and his response is that he thinks you aren't her type, but he will do some exploring for you.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought the ghost picture taking thing was awesome. But I'm very into Ghost Hunters so ... *shrug* I don't think I'd have had the guts to do that!

I guess I don't see the new husband becoming friends with the ex-husband as too strange because I always imagined that if my ex-husband got married, I would probably be friends with his new wife. Unfortunately, his current girlfriend is very intimidated by me and it causes a lot of trouble. It would be nice to me if we could be friendly with each other. Interestingly, Ice Cream Guy thinks this guy is just what his ex needed in a husband. She is a true shop-a-holic and where ICG didn't want to be someone's parent or boss and put a stop to her spending, her new husband has no problem imposing limitations on her, restricting her access to money, etc.

He invited me over for pizza tonight and I got to know his roommate a little better, which was nice. The puppies are ridiculously cute. They were in their crate whining so I went over and started whining back at them and all three stopped in their tracks and stared at me. I wonder what I was saying to them! Bull dogs are so slobbery I feel like I need to take a shower after Boss (daddy bull dog) laid his head in my lap for me to pet him. This is the dog that is afraid of everybody.

Anyway, another nice evening with him.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Anyway, another nice evening with him.
You didn't say how you met him, unless I missed it. Did you meet him online?