GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Tau Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 825
0 members and 825 guests
No Members online

Old 10-31-2016, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

STG suspends Central Arkansas chapter for offensive Halloween costume

Fraternity members dresses as Bill Cosby in blackface.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/student...155922032.html

update: sorry, STG! Slightly dyslexic

Last edited by ChioLu; 10-31-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2016, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Fraternity members dresses as Bill Cosby in blackface.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/student...155922032.html

update: sorry, STG! Slightly dyslexic
Anyone else find it bizarre that the yahoo article is in the Beauty section and done by a Style and Beauty Writer?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
“I am the farthest thing from discrimination [sic],” he wrote. “As a matter of fact, I fight for equality every day. I have been writing a book for two years on what it really means to be a good person. … I am by no means better than anybody else. Social media has corrupted society in regard to heated controversial topics such as this.”
I don't know if this was intentionally quoted to make the guy seem like a weirdo, but a ~19 year old kid writing a book for two years on what it really means to be a good person? Sounds like riveting stuff right there.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-02-2016, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What gets me is what people call racism!

Maybe, sometimes it is with respect!! Went to as party painted as the jolly green giant and the amazon. I was painted green and my girl friend in brown with a bone in her hair as the amazon! It was from a song and not racist at all!
Is it respect or not that is the question!

I for one and really tired of all this Bull Shit!Everything like this so over blown I want to puke!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure where public schools think it's okay to punish speech, but in this case, when done in conjunction with the national organization, I think they're well within their power to request an organization discipline itself. As for expelling students for being racist morons, I think that's another thing entirely. Schools can't simply expel students for speech alone or simply because someone is upset or threatened by the speech. That's blatantly unconstitutional. The cure for offensive speech is more speech.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-03-2016, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I should have included if there was any intent or not? That should be a major question brought up.

Kevin, I could not agree with you more!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-04-2016, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
What gets me is what people call racism!

Maybe, sometimes it is with respect!! Went to as party painted as the jolly green giant and the amazon. I was painted green and my girl friend in brown with a bone in her hair as the amazon! It was from a song and not racist at all!
Is it respect or not that is the question!

I for one and really tired of all this Bull Shit!Everything like this so over blown I want to puke!
That's actually racist. You don't have to believe it for it to be so. You also don't have to care that it is racist, but that's indeed what it was.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
That's actually racist. You don't have to believe it for it to be so. You also don't have to care that it is racist, but that's indeed what it was.
And you know this how? Were you in this persons mind or just surmising what he ment when he did it?

If and only if you say things like this, then what you are saying that any one who makes a statement against any race, gender, or religion can be called a racist! Is this correct?

I have a question for you??

Have you ever dated any one out side of your race or religion? I have but you probably never have! Is there anything that you do not like out of your comfort zone? I would imagine yes!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
And you know this how? Were you in this persons mind or just surmising what he ment when he did it?

If and only if you say things like this, then what you are saying that any one who makes a statement against any race, gender, or religion can be called a racist! Is this correct?

I have a question for you??

Have you ever dated any one out side of your race or religion? I have but you probably never have! Is there anything that you do not like out of your comfort zone? I would imagine yes!
It is a racist message regardless of how the person sending it meant it. The meaning of that message has been established in our society. It has a racist effect. It denigrates other people and cultures. You might not have meant to do that and might have done it because you are ignorant, rather than cruel, but it is still racist.

And lots of racists date outside their race. Strom Thurmand had an AA daughter. That doesn't make him a good man.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems today, that every one wants to throw the RACIST CARD OUT WAY TO MUCH!

So, if I do not care for a female neighbor or her dog, am I racist against females and dogs?

Or the guy across the street rides a motor cycle and has A pony tail, does that mean I am racist against pony tales and motor cycles?

Way to many people go way over the bounds of throwing words out acuseing people of things because of ignorance.

There is a difference between ignorant or just plain dumb!!!

What catagory do you fit in?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-07-2016, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Females - not a race.
Dogs - not a race. Species,yes.
Motorcycle riders - not a race.
Pony tails - not a race.

Prejudiced against females - sexism.
Prejudiced against dogs - speciesism
Prejudiced against motorcycle riders - probably classism.
Prejudiced against pony tails - I don't even know.

Ignorance or dumb?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

He IS trolling, right? This isn't a legitimate argument. I refuse to believe it to be true.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm not sure where public schools think it's okay to punish speech, but in this case, when done in conjunction with the national organization, I think they're well within their power to request an organization discipline itself. As for expelling students for being racist morons, I think that's another thing entirely. Schools can't simply expel students for speech alone or simply because someone is upset or threatened by the speech. That's blatantly unconstitutional. The cure for offensive speech is more speech.
Everyone in this Thread has made some points about what happened but I also see what our Nationals is trying to do. Everyone has the right to wear what they want on Halloween or any Costume theme event but they also have to realize certain costumes / designs may be not be acceptable to others.

IMO, STG HQ made the call because they feel it was necessary to let everyone know this type of action has no place in the Fraternity. Nationals has posted about the incident on Facebook. Based on the comments posted, Pretty much most members has approved the move.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!