GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,937
0 members and 1,937 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

An around the world recruitment

Hi guys I am a sophomore who will be going through formal recruitment in a couple of weeks. I am super excited and thought that I would share my story with you guys since I enjoy reading other's so much! I go to a private university in the Northeast where greek life is small but competitive, there are only about 50 girls in each chapter. We have 7 chapters; 6 are national and 1 is local. Since we have spring recruitment I have had this past semester and last year since I am a sophomore to get to know the girls in some of the chapters.

New York City
London
Sydney
Los Angelos
Paris
Rome
Tel Aviv

I have been getting to know the girls in New York City the most and like them a lot, but I am still going to keep an open mind going through recruitment.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck-excited to see how it goes!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

You may want to rethink posting your experience until recruitment is over...you've already disclosed your first name on a different thread, and at a small school there's little chance you'll remain anonymous.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 PM

^ What DZ_Turtle said.

We love to read recruitment stories. That said, I suggest you keep a journal of your experience, and post it only after (and if) you receive a bid.

That said, I live within commuting distance of NYC, and learned to drive in Queens ... so ... yay NYC! But, keep an open mind ... you may find your home somewhere else.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Open house got cancelled due to the weather so we went straight to round 1!
So my schedule for Round 1 was London, Sydney, Rome, Tel Aviv, Los Angelos, Paris, and New York City
London: I really liked this house, the conversations didn’t really get below the surface level very much but I still enjoyed the girls I talked to. I talked 4 girls and then we were put into groups to play an ice breaker game which I thought was cute. None of the conversations I had with any of the girls felt awkward or forced which was good so overall I liked this house.

Sydney: One of my very good friends was in this house so I ended up talking to her for a little bit, but I was initially picked up at the door by one of her pledge sisters who I had previously met at one of their events. I liked the first girl and obviously getting to talk to my friend was a relief because I knew her. Another girl who I had also previously met came over while I was talking to my friend. I felt kind of weird talking to her, because it kind of felt like she was grilling me. She just kept firing question after question, and I felt like I was being interviewed more than having a conversation. The last girl I talked to I really liked, I felt that the conversation was really easy and we were talking about things completely unrelated to sororities or school. Even though I felt weird talking to that one girl, I still really liked this house.

Rome: These girls were all very nice, but I didn’t feel like I could see myself being friends with them. I had decent conversations with a couple of girls, but I found myself waiting for the round to be over and wasn’t very excited to be there. I didn’t show that though, I tried to keep a smile on my face the whole time and seem engaged in the conversations.

Tel Aviv: this was the local sorority. Since a big part of the reason why I want to join greek life is for the connections you get through alumni, a local sorority felt kind of limiting to me and wasn’t really what I was looking for. I went into this house already knowing that I wanted to drop them. I know that isn’t something you are supposed to do, but I did anyway. The conversations I had here were okay, they were honestly kind of weird and I didn’t feel like I connected with them at all.

Los Angelos: This house was awkward at first, because nobody picked us up at the door so we all kind of just walked in and wandered until we found a girl to talk to. I ended up standing in a group with 3 other rushes all talking to two of the actives. It was also very loud and hard to hear the girls rushing us. The conversation was pretty basic. We then played a little ice breaker which I really liked. After that I talked to two girls, again nothing really below the surface but the conversation didn’t feel awkward or forced so that was good. I saw a girl who I had met at one of their events and I ended up talking to her for a little bit and she mentioned that she was excited that I ended up coming out for greek life which made me feel good. Overall I liked this house and could definitely see myself in it.

Paris: This house also did not have anyone pick us up at the door so we wandered until we found someone to talk to. I talked to three girls and enjoyed the conversation with both of them, one of the girls asked me some really interesting questions which I liked. I really liked this house, but the only thing I don’t like is that they are the smallest on campus with only about 40 girls.

New York City: Since I had been hanging out with these girls, I was excited to go here, but also nervous, because I really wanted to make a good impression. I was picked up at the door by a girl I knew, but hadn’t really talked to that much before which was good. We had a really good conversation I think, we talked about all sorts of things and the conversation never really got awkward. I really hope I get invited back by this house.

After the last house we went straight to ranking. Since we have 7 organizations on campus we ranked our top 5 and then our bottom 2. Even though we rank our top 5 all as number 1, the order still matters. As I was walking to the location where we rank I was kind of unsure on who I was going to rank as my bottom 2. When I sat down and started ranking I did it without thinking. I think it was good that I didn’t think about it, because it allowed me to not second guess myself. My ranking for round 1 was
1.New York City
1.London
1. Sydney
1. Los Angelos
1. Paris
2. Rome
3. Tel Aviv

I hope I get a good schedule tomorrow for round 2!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
best of luck!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 2: I was very nervous for today, because I wasn’t sure who I would end up with. One of my friends ended up not being invited back by any organization for round 2 which made me feel a little better about the schedule I received, but I was still very upset. There were only about 10 to 15 girls out of the 150 who were rushing who only received 1 invite. We could get up to 5 for today, and I only had 1 which was Paris. I was honestly crushed when I saw that I only had 1 invite. I can’t help but wonder why I wasn’t good enough for the other houses. Especially New York City, the girls really seemed to like me when I would hangout with them, so I am very hurt and confused.

Paris: I was still very upset about being cut from so many orgs, and I found it hard to be happy and engaged during this round. I tried my best, and I do really like these girls, but again I am really turned off by how small they are. They also have almost half of the sorority being seniors, so I am worried that it would end being even smaller once they graduate.

Since I only had one house, I ranked Paris as number 1. I am still going to continue with the process, and see how I feel at the end of it.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If the other groups have 50, and Paris has 40, that doesn't seem like an insurmountable gap. You did say you liked them! I hope they invite you back and you give them another chance!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

o I ended up not getting invited to preference round, so that is it for my process. I wasn’t really upset about not getting a preference invite, because I didn’t really feel like I belonged in that org anyway. I still don’t understand why I got cut from all the other orgs, but I think I am going to end up rushing again next semester, because I truly feel it was a mistake and that I am meant to be in an org.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. You can't be anonymous on this type of campus, so I would take the intervening time to get involved with other activities, get to know sorority women, keep up your grades, etc. Be nice to all sorority members between now and the next recruitment.

One comment you made, about feeling better about your own schedule after a friend of yours was released, made me pause. In a sisterhood, you care about your friends and you're there to support them...you shouldn't be happy that any friend does worse than you. Members will want to know that you will bring up their sisterhood with care and compassion.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean that I was happy she didn't get invited back, I meant that it made me appreciate the one invite I got back more. Of course I would have wanted my friend to find her home just as much as I wish I would've found mine.