GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,184
1 members and 1,183 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2015, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

LOVED reading your recruitment story!
Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Wow...after taking a 2 year hiatus from GC, essentially, this was a great thread to come back to. Congrats to AOPi ... what happened to your Roomie from freshman year? Did she finish college?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Roomie's story got a little darker before she "received the light".

What I didn't tell ya'll is her mother had passed away about 18 months before she started college (long, drawn-out Breast Cancer - ) (remember, in the 70s, there were really no effective treatments, except mastectomy; if the cancer had spread - - not good . . .)

This probably is was lead to her "drop-out". I-don't-care attitude. It certainly lead to her non-conformist tendencies and self-medicating drug use )

She ended our freshman year with a B- average (Yea for her!!) and she had a different roommate our sophomore year, someone more like her (non-conformist, hippie-type) BUT she also had a VERY controlling boyfriend that year and didn't return for our junior year

It took her a year to completely recover - - but she was back for my senior year (her junior) and DID graduate.

Today, she's a kindergarten teacher and a grandmother!!

I pray she's happy. (& I think she is . . . I heard all this through the grapevine at our last reunion, which she didn't attend.)

( I guess she's no longer a member of "MY" class.)
Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Oh ... that is really sad she was dealing with the death of her mom. I can totally see where all those issues would stem from. Sounds like she's gone on to have a fulfilling life...that's good!!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

TTT!
Old 07-26-2016, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through recruitment at UT-Austin in 1982. I came from a suburban high school in the Austin area with a reputation for excellent academics. My mom was a Chi Omega at Centenary College in Louisiana, and a lot of my high school friends were going through with me, so even though I was pretty shy, I felt pretty confident about my chances at finding a Greek home.

UT had summer rush at the time. Up to four actives could invite up to four PNMs out for lunch, dinner, pool party, or anything fun that didn't involve alcohol. The two rush dates I remember most vividly were the Chi Os who drove four of us down to San Antonio for dinner on the Riverwalk, and the Gamma Phi Beta ice cream party at an alum's house near the UT campus. One of my high school acquaintances was part of the San Antonio trip, and everything was going well until we got to the restaurant. I was starving and ordered a burger and fries--and everyone else ordered salad. Oops. The ice cream party was actually the first party I went to where I didn't know anyone--and I had a wonderful time. A cute redhead named Julie was my GPB date for the evening, and everyone was down to earth and fun.

So. Back then, each of the twelve houses at UT sent out their individual invitations through the Panhellenic office. (DPhiE, SDT, and AEPhi still had a semi-separate rush for Jewish PNMs.) No open houses. First round consisted of up to eight houses, back-to-back, for two days--you went to each house each day. If you received more than eight invitations, you had to figure out which invitations to decline--without knowing much about the houses beyond any summer rush dates you might have had, or girls you already knew in the houses.

I got ten invitations: AXiD, Alpha Phi, Chi O, TriDelt, Theta, Zeta, Gamma Phi, KD, AChiO, and DG. AXiD was an easy cut--I didn't know anyone in the house, I didn't know any alums, and they hadn't invited me to any rush parties. The second cut was hard. Four of the Big Six (and I'm sorry to say that this mattered to me) invited me, and although I didn't know anyone in some of those houses, either, I wasn't going to cut them. That left Alpha Phi (my best friend's house--and she REALLY wanted me there!), KD (another close friend's house), Gamma Phi (the fun summer rush group, and two awesome family friends who had written me alumna recs), DG (two friends from high school there), and AChiO (where I actually had THREE friends from high school). Based on what and who I knew, I made the difficult decision to cut Gamma Phi--largely because I didn't think that the girls I'd met that summer would be enough support to see me through. I felt really bad about it, though, and it kept nagging at me as I got ready to move into my dorm and start recruitment.

I lived in a private dorm with some very connected girls. My new roommate's mom wasn't very impressed with me--she'd apparently spent years laying the groundwork for her daughter to pledge a Big Six, preferably Pi Phi, which at UT was, and still is, incredibly legacy-heavy. Roomie would be the first sorority woman in the family, and even I knew that the odds were not in her favor--but mom spent a LOT of time in our room during rush making sure that Roomie knew what to wear and who to talk to at each house. One of the girls next door to us was a third-generation Theta legacy, and her roomie was the non-legacy daughter of two doctors who had moved here from Germany when she was a baby. And one of the girls down the hall was a mega-legacy--mom, both grandmothers, all her aunts, and all six of her older sisters were Thetas. She was determined to make her own choice and go a different direction if she felt like it, though.

More to come later--stay tuned!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

This sounds so much like my rush at UT in the early seventies! Can't wait to hear more.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

So--first round at UT-Austin 1982...

There we were, with curled hair and plenty of makeup, cute sundresses and sandals--and pantyhose. Bare legs were trashy, y'all. It was SO hot, but we'd all been taught that ladies transcended discomfort . It felt wonderful to go inside the air-conditioned houses and try not to gulp down the cold beverages offered (usually water or lemonade, although the Thetas were famous for 12oz bottles of ice-cold Coca-Cola).

It's hard to remember a lot of details, but I remember the Theta Cokes, the crowded houses at Chi O, Zeta, and TriDelt, and seeing my friends at the other houses. There were houses that I would have loved to have joined, and others that I didn't really see myself in. My legacy house, Chi O, was one of the latter--I just didn't feel like I belonged there. Chi O had a bit of a reputation for cutting legacies back then (before they changed their legacy definition to daughters and sisters only)--they had cut my best friend early, even though she was a chapter legacy and her mother had held several offices during her years there. Everyone was lovely--but that wasn't where I wanted to be. I felt the same way about TriDelt--there was a real sense there that they were much more interested in some of the other girls there than in me, and I was uncomfortable that it was so obvious.

After two days of walking around in heels and hose in the heat, we were all ready for a break. My dormmates and I went out to eat in the evening, but surprisingly, there was virtually no tent talk. We all focused on our own schedule and choices for the most part, although the third-gen Theta expressed grave concerns that she would make it through. The mega-legacy Theta scoffed and reminded her that her grandmother had endowed two Theta scholarships--she was a shoo-in. However, Mega-Leg had set her heart on Pi Phi, knowing she'd never get a bid because of her Theta history. Oh, the drama...

Second round involved up to four houses over two days, so of course the goal was to receive at least four invitations back. I found my convocation room and received exactly four invitations--yay! Alpha Phi (of course--my best friend's house), KD (I had had fun there, too), and DG (I was lukewarm on this one, but was ready to give them a chance). The fourth envelope was most definitely from Chi O...

Except it wasn't.

Every other house I had visited during first round had cut me, including my legacy house. The fourth invitation was from Gamma Phi--even though I had regretfully declined their first-round invitation. I was stunned--and very, very happy.

When I got back to the dorm, we all compared schedules and notes. When I told everyone about the Gamma Phi invite, there was shocked silence--and then my roomie said, "They must REALLY WANT YOU!" Everyone else agreed--Mega-Leg told me much later that she had shared that story with her older sisters, and none of them had ever heard of that happening to anyone.

I honestly don't remember much about second round, except that I was getting rushed hard by the Alpha Phis (led by my best friend--I knew that I was near the top of their list, but I felt a little pressured, and I just wasn't sure that was the place for me), the KDs were a little lukewarm towards me, and I have no memory of DG at all. Gamma Phi was the last house I visited on the first day of second round, and from the moment I stepped into the courtyard, I knew I was home. Julie from the summer rush party greeted me, and introduced me to Allison, a tall, gorgeous blonde who told me about the chapter's philanthropy and emphasis on participation in campus organizations and honor societies (which nobody had mentioned at the other houses). There was a totally different vibe in that house that felt very comfortable to me.

Fast forward to pref night. It was down to two houses--Alpha Phi and Gamma Phi--and while I knew that Alpha Phi was a sure thing, Gamma Phi had my heart. I knew my bestie would be so disappointed, but I also knew that she would understand and appreciate my decision. And she did--we are still best friends to this day. I preffed Gamma Phi first, Alpha Phi second.

Bid day--there was my Gamma Phi bid! Off I headed to my new home...

The Gamma Phi house was the farthest house from the convocation site, so by the time I got to a certain point, I knew that the other girls I saw were headed to Gamma Phi. I caught up with the girl ahead of me and asked where she was going. "Gamma Phi--what about you?" I told her I was, too--and by the time we got to the house, a bunch of us had already introduced ourselves as pledge sisters. It was a great way to start my Gamma Phi experience.

As for my dormmates--the Theta legacy next door was at the top of the Theta list, and her roomie also received a Theta bid. Mega-Leg, despite all efforts to change her mind, declined her Theta bid and spent a year waiting to join Pi Phi as a sophomore, which she very happily accomplished. My roomie became the first non-legacy Pi Phi pledge in almost a decade--and was absolutely miserable. Apparently there was a lot of hazing going on there, with the understanding that no one would dare report it for fear of reprisals from both the actives, and their own mothers--and roomie was getting additional pressure from actives and alums who told her that she had "stolen" a place from a legacy. Roomie ultimately deactivated at some point after our freshman year. (Let me add that while Pi Phi at UT is still legacy-heavy, they have opened up their pledge classes in recent years to include a lot more non-legacies.)

I was the only Gamma Phi in our entire dorm--but the dorm was right across the street from the house, so I didn't feel lonely at all. Most of the girls in the dorm pledged Big Six houses, and there were some who really looked down on Gamma Phi--one even told me that her family would never have let her visit that house, much less pledge it. Mega-Leg staunchly defended me by saying that I was happier in my house than most of the Big Sixers were in theirs--because I had made the decision based on what was right for me, rather than on family legacies and pressure. And that really sums it up--definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Save
Old 07-31-2016, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea! Great story!