GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,227
0 members and 1,227 guests
No Members online

Old 10-20-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottyToddy1 View Post
Is there anybody we can talk to to request that rush happen before school starts?
Oh my... isn't that the $64,000 question.

Rush used to be prior to the start of school. It was changed to be held after classes had started for many reasons, none of which had to do with what was best for Greeks or the young men & women rushing. The schedule is all about what is best for the UNIVERSITY.

And that is why it will not change.

You are welcome to ask... but just realize that it will almost certainly be wasted effort.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM

Fraternity rush is delayed, too? I didn't realize that. Do they use the same rationale?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Fraternity rush is delayed, too? I didn't realize that. Do they use the same rationale?
Yes, IFC rush is held at the same time as NPC recruitment. I think they just do it at the same time more for convience. IFC rush is very small, compared to NPC. I seriously doubt the same issues exist with the timing of fraternity rush.

We all know what can happen when a girl does not get the bid that she & her mother think she should get. I don't think I have ever heard about that same thing happening with the men.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Before enrollment increased by 50% deferred was maybe not as onerous as it has become. So many more girls = more parties = long, long nights, especially for the actives. Exhaustion, lack of study time. So what if people disenroll if they don't get what they think they should? They can leave after deferred enrollment too, and do.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyPNM View Post
Before enrollment increased by 50% deferred was maybe not as onerous as it has become. So many more girls = more parties = long, long nights, especially for the actives. Exhaustion, lack of study time. So what if people disenroll if they don't get what they think they should? They can leave after deferred enrollment too, and do.
It makes a very big difference to the University. Recruitment is purposefully scheduled after the date at which the student can withdraw and receive a refund on tuition.

Some mothers might get all hysterical when their little Polly Perfect doesn't get that Top Tier bid that they think they are entitled to. On the other hand, most of those mothers are not willling to forfeit several thousand dollars in non-refundable tuition.

And as one of the last SEC recruitments, transferring after a disappointing rush to get another bite at the apple means not only losing all that tuition, but also that Polly won't be able to rush until Spring semester.

I am not arguing FOR deferred rush. Just telling you some of the reasons it is what it is and why it is unlikely to change.