GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,260
2 members and 2,258 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Well, then I don't feel sorry for you. You had the opportunity to join one and you turned it down.
Actually, they might have dumped her ass after pref. You never know what a group's (or chapter's) membership selection procedures are. She didn't turn down a bid, she quit 2 steps before getting there. If she had truly turned down a bid, half of her question would be moot since she couldn't rerush till next spring anyway.

Pref invite =/= bid
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon14 View Post
thank you everyone for your input! MaggieXi, your post was especially helpful. I'm still yet undecided on whether I will do formal or informal recruitment, because I would really like to bump up my GPA before rushing again. I have a couple weeks to decide, though. And, Optimusprime, I must add that I am not at all angry at anyone's opinions--I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't a) being whiny and looking down upon organizations or b) asking anyone to feel sorry for me in the first place. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the formal rush climate for a sophomore. thanks again everyone for your input! hope you all have a great year!
My mistake, it just seemed as if you were getting huffy. I just wanted to add if you really want to make yourself seem like you've been putting in an effort, maybe try to get involved on campus. Try to join an organization and maybe that'll help a little. Good luck to you.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
I have to agree here. First off, she didn't receive a bid from the one house (sounds like she got invited to pref and did not go, which I would have advised her to attend just to make sure her mind was made up). Second, had she gone to pref and signed the card (ostensibly they have guaranteed placement, though I don't know for sure) she would have been bound for one year to that house that she was more than unsure about. Thus, she wouldn't be able to go through informal right now.

Furthermore, by withdrawing, she freed up a slot for someone that house did make her "heart sing". I really see nothing wrong with any of it.

OP - I say go for informal and just see what happens!

I like how randoms like sock-puppet Splash and shirley1929 (both posters I'm not even sure if they are even Greek) want to play the tiniest violin for someone because her heart didn't "sing" when she chose not to even show up to pref for a sorority at Wake Forest. Boo-Hoo!

33girl, you do have a point. I realize that membership selection is different for every GLO but, what I am trying to say is that she chose not to even go to preference because she probably thought she was "above" it or something. The truth is, I'm annoyed by all of these "boo hoo, I was sacked/ let go from recruitment" posts from ungrateful PNMs and their heli-moms.

In case you are a new poster and you weren't aware--let me break it down for you: I DON'T SYMPATHIZE with girls who don't have a valid excuse for dropping out of recruitment (family emergency, getting deployed to the Middle East, sickness, etc.) and then come to GC to cry about not finding a home.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
my sentiments exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually, they might have dumped her ass after pref. You never know what a group's (or chapter's) membership selection procedures are. She didn't turn down a bid, she quit 2 steps before getting there. If she had truly turned down a bid, half of her question would be moot since she couldn't rerush till next spring anyway.

Pref invite =/= bid
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

She wasn't complaining about anything. She didn't ask for sympathy and she certainly wasn't crying to us about it. I don't feel sorry for her either, because there's nothing to feel sorry for. She owns and doesn't regret her decision. She was completely political in her first post, simply saying recruitment didn't work out and then spoke solely of re-rushing. There was nothing wrong with her post.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Your situation sounds EXACTLY like mine. I'm a sophomore and rushed formal rush(it's spring for me) but it didn't work out. (I was having medical problems, and was NOT emotionally ready to face rush, even though I thought I was.) I wanted to drop out, but my rush leader persuaded me not to, and I didn't get a bid anyways.

So, I know I'm hoping to do fall rush, in order to get as much time in greek life as I can, but I don't know which houses are doing it (houses can choose if they do informal rush or not.) I don't want to do spring/formal rush again because a) once is enough lol b) I don't want to feel awkward over the fact that I already did it c) I'm nervous about being one of only a few sophomores out of hundreds of freshman.

So I'm kinda in the same boat as you I guess! Would you rather do formal or informal rush?

(P.S. One of my best friends goes to Wake!)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

hi Redlipstick,
i haven't yet decided. i have a few weeks to make up my mind, and i'm sure i will be on the fence until the last minute. i know that bids for sophomores are extremely hard to come by at my school during formal recruitment in the spring. but my gpa is less than a 3.0 right now, not very much less, but it's not where i want it to be and while it reflects the work i did last year, it doesn't reflect how much i really care about school. i know that this semester my gpa will increase greatly, so i'd really like to wait until spring rush to go through recruitment again. but, ultimately, i think i'm just going to see what the rush climate is like once i get to school and decide from there. good luck with whatever you decide!!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from Wake a few years ago.
Sophomore rush changed a lot when I was there.
Remember that not all the chapters will be giving out bid depending on how many spots they have open.
Your GPA may hurt your chances and might have been the reason you did not get invited back to certain chapters during spring recruitment. When you talk to the sisters stress how you are working to improve your GPA and that academics are important to you.
Go in and be yourself. Spring recruitment can be difficult because these women meet so many PNM it's hard to stick out. Let the real you shine and show these women what makes you unique and what you can offer their chapter.
If you have friends in the sororities, let them know you are rushing. Most bids in the fall are given to girls that have friends/connections in the chapter. Try to see if you can get lunch/dinner/coffee with them and some of their sisters before fall rush starts. Same goes for if you are going to rush in the spring again.
If sisters ask if you rushed in the Spring, be tactful of what you say. If you tell them you only got 1 invite and you didn't like the chapter, it's not going to sound good. Sorority women know each other and being negative about a chapter will not help your odds.

If you want more advice you can PM me.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Wake Forest had fall bid day on Friday. Did you go through or are you waiting for the spring?