GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,090
2 members and 1,088 guests
Sarak24034, zsamulpitt5293

Old 10-07-2003, 10:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Ole Miss... Let's discuss!

Now that formal recruitment is over, I thought maybe we could discuss Ole Miss Greek Life.

This year 92% of the 889 PNM's particitpating in Formal Recruitment were placed in one of the nine chapters! Quota was set at 86, which all nine chapters met! However, more than half of the sororities on campus took a pledge class of 90+ NMs!

Now, the chapter sizes are between 180-273, with an average of 240+/-. All chapters are over campus total, unless it has already been raised (HottyToddy can correct these #s if they are off)!

I do not think there will be much of a disagreement that Ole Miss Panhellenic needs a new chapter! The question is how do you go about bringing a new chapter to a Greek System like Ole Miss. As I mentioned on the Rush thread, there would be a large finanical commitment, among other things.

I know that DZ was successful at UF. However, I am not sure we are comparing apples to apples using UF as an example. The largest chapter at UF just reaches 200 members. 7/9 Chapters (might be 8/9) are over 200 members and 5/9 are over 250 members. How do you recruit? Are you willing to make the financial commitment of a house and advertising? And how do you succeed, when several GLOs have closed in the last 20 years?

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I could be off base on this, but it seems to me that Ole Miss is the type of campus where not only would you have to have not only a strong financial commitment and alumnae base, but it would also have to be an org with a strong southern reputation. I don't really know which those are (I know they're mentioned in the Primer ) but are there any of those that aren't already represented at Ole Miss? It seems to me that you're already at a disadvantage coming on as a new group with no campus history or reputation, so you'd better have a strong reputation at other campuses in the area.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
1. Financial Commitment -- This would have to be quite significant. If you've ever seen the sorority houses, you know they are large and impressive and if you've been inside, you know they are beautifully furnished.

2. Strong Reputation -- Someone said on the rush thread earlier that it would need to be a group who had not closed their chapter at either Ole Miss or Miss. State in the past twenty years. I agree with that. The state of Mississippi has quite the network (I've never seen anything like it!). People know others from all over the state. To me, the entire state is like one big "small town."

I get amused reading posts that refer to what Greek Life is like in the "South." Well, I can promise you, the system at Ole Miss takes it to another level!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZslund10 Send a message via Yahoo to DZslund10
Ole Miss

I think it will be a very large investment for any sorority to colonize at Ole Miss. I agree they would need to have a strong reputation at nearby colleges. And obviously, there is enough interest for another sorority on campus.

As much as I would LOVE to see DZ re-collonize there, I have to admit, I don't think it would be the best use of our money. Our UF colony's success is wonderful. But it has taken enormous work effort from our alums in Florida and a huge amount of cash. I don't know what type of alum base we have in Oxford.

Whoever does get the nod when they decide to expand, better get the swiss bank account ready. That's just the reality at that campus.

Stacey
Old 10-07-2003, 10:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
I forgot to add... that Panhellenic is in discussions about brining another chapter to Ole Miss! Which, fueled my topic!
Old 10-07-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
The only imput I can give is that ZTA just had a chapter colonize at USF (Univ. of South Florida in Tampa) and they pledged 103 girls this year - which is their first year on campus. I agree that it needs to be a chapter with a good southern reputation as well as have the financial resources that will be needed. By the way, what GLO's are there now?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see AGD there.

Facebook
Old 10-07-2003, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's the list from Angels&Arrows other thread...
chapters:

AOPi
Chi O
Tri Delt
DG
Theta
KD
Kappa
Phi Mu
Pi Phi
Old 10-07-2003, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ztabchbum Send a message via Yahoo to ztabchbum
Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
Here's the list from Angels&Arrows other thread...
chapters:

AOPi
Chi O
Tri Delt
DG
Theta
KD
Kappa
Phi Mu
Pi Phi
Thanks! Hmmm....maybe ZTA would be a good fit!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think both ZTA and ADPi were at Ole Miss at one time.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

oh i was going to say I think ADPi would be a better fit, they are strong in the south and have a great rep and alum base . As much as I would love AGD to be there I just don't think that is possible. They just left MSU last year.
I would love to see another chapter there, though.

Facebook
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been an adviser for AOII here at Ole Miss since last year. I would like to say that yes we need a new sorority at Ole Miss but I am not sure that is going to happen anytime soon. The main reason is land...there isn't enough of it and there are no more empty sorority houses since the university bought them to use classrooms for Applied Sciences College(old ZTA house) and the Honors College (old ADPi House). I think that the investment a sorority would have to make in order to build a new house, find land (the only land that might be able to hold a house is a parking lot next door to the Tri Delta house), and they must be strong in the south. I would like to see Alpha Gamma Delta here since they are strong at Bama and schools in TN, or even Gamma Phi Beta since they are huge in the south as well.

We use to have Delta Zeta, ZTA, AZDee, and ADPi here at Ole Miss. I think the fact that those houses left for their reasons would make it harder for them to recolonize. However, I know since I work in Alumni Affairs for Ole Miss that they all have strong alumni who would be willing to support a new chapter.

We do have a new philanthropic sorority Omega Phi Alpha. They have about 50 members and are doing well with getting girls who might not be able to afford the dues of a Panhellenic Sorority.

Yes all of the houses did make quota and we (AOII) got 95 new members. I think Pi Beta Phi got 95 as well. Every house got their tip top rushees and the girls that did not get a bid either dropped out or did not play the game. Another reason for the high numbers was that the new regret with interest option helped out big time.

more about rush this year online at the DM online
http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/dis.../3f8261746f0e9
Old 10-07-2003, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

As for the strong alum base of DZs in Florida...there wasnt even a DZ alum chapter in Gainesville until DZ decided to colonize there. That is when one was formed and there are maybe 20-30 women in it. Part of DZs success was all of the chapter consultants they brought in as well as all of the girls from FSU, Auburn, and the University of Tampa. The reason our chapter are not as big as Ole Miss' are is because UF's panhellenic has chosen to expand to keep chapter sizes from getting that big. We too have had recent closings...AZD did in 2000 and DZ colonized in 2002. AZD tried to recolonize but being that it seems to follow trends at all southern universities once you have a certain reputation it follows regardless if you force all of your old members to go alum (which AZD did). DZ has made a huge financial commitment for us and it worked successfully. We had over 500 girls interview for 154 spots, as well as get over quota this past rush. I think that an organization can colonize without a problem as long as they do it right. In Ole Miss's case I would bring in a chapter that has a strong base at schools nearby and have those girls do the rushing....that's what worked for us. Also DZ was on campus everyday promoting from the day school started (middle of August) till the end of September when DZ recruitment started. You could not go anywhere on our campus without seeing a DZ flyer. I think if an organization could follow those steps and make a financial commitment they would have a great chapter at Ole Miss. But like I said I think the organization would need to have a good rep at other nearby schools and need not to have been at Ole Miss recently because their old reputation will follow them.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl
You're correct about ZTA. Our Gamma Delta chapter received its charter in 1939, and I believe they were the most recent chapter to leave Ole Miss (but I could be mistaken about that). I think our Gamma Delta chapter closed in the late 1990's.
ZTA left Old Miss in 1999.

http://dm.olemiss.edu/archives/99/99...5Nmccool1.HTML
Old 10-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Alpha Delta Pi just closed our Ole Miss chapter in 1995. IMHO, building the house in a fairly modern style, rather than more ante bellum, was not the best move. There's a strong Mississippi alumnae base, and of course, how much more Southern can you get?

I worry that enough time hasn't gone by for ADPi to be accepted with open arms more than anything else.