GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,470
2 members and 2,468 guests
No Members online

Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I go to a college that mainly has non-traditional students. And we do have clubs and orgs, but they never meet because there is not enough people interested in them! I've tried to get involved on campus but nothing is working out for me.
And I do love animals and volunteering at a shelter would really be something I'd be interested in. I do volunteer at a hospital though, I've been volunteering there since I was like 12! haha
Besides good grades, would volunteering at a shelter AND the hospital be enough to impress a sorority?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missblonde View Post
Besides good grades, would volunteering at a shelter AND the hospital be enough to impress a sorority?
I can't tell you how impressed a chapter would be by your activities.

I can tell you that at an SEC school, you'll be in recruitment with some women who also have great resumes. So there has to be more to you than just that.

Also, while activities are important, a lot of recruitment is going to focus on your conversations and how you interact with sorority members.

Think of it this way: a chapter isn't extending bids to resumes, they're extending bids to PEOPLE.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this is the right place to ask my question, but how does a girl find out if her school's chapters are doing COB, Spring rush or not?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygirlie View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to ask my question, but how does a girl find out if her school's chapters are doing COB, Spring rush or not?
The Greek Life/Campus Life/Sorority and Fraternity Life office.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

informal spring?

what do you do if you missed your chance to rush in the fall both freshman and soph year, but want to do informal in the spring?

how does informal work?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Define "missed your chance."
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

freshman year i decided to not rush because i didn't think it was for me. i met some girls and know some in greek life and i've had a change of heart. soph year fall i had family personal issues and was not able to be on campus the weekend of rush.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Dumb question alert: GUEST LIST

For my commitment ceremony I was asked to provide a list of names and addresses of sorority sisters I wish to invite from other chapters. I have a list of 6 ladies so far and my question is should I invite people I am only acquainted with? Is it a snub not to invite like every single person I know who is a member? (For example: sorority members who are friends with my mother at church, aunts or grandmother's of friends, friends of friends, HS facebook friends and so on.) Is it deemed showy or flashy to have a long guest list or impolite not to ask everyone you know?

Last edited by sunnydcq; 02-18-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

recruitment is stressful.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydcq View Post
Dumb question alert: GUEST LIST

For my commitment ceremony I was asked to provide a list of names and addresses of sorority sisters I wish to invite from other chapters. I have a list of 6 ladies so far and my question is should I invite people I am only acquainted with? Is it a snub not to invite like every single person I know who is a member? (For example: sorority members who are friends with my mother at church, aunts or grandmother's of friends, friends of friends, HS facebook friends and so on.) Is it deemed showy or flashy to have a long guest list or impolite not to ask everyone you know?
By committment ceremony, are you referring to a pledge ceremony or membership initation? If that is the case, I would only invite close family (mom, grandma, sister).
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs?

Hi! I'm from Chicago and I'll be attending Ole Miss in the fall. Having read the recruitment forums thoroughly (a million thank you's- I definitely would have shown up in jeans or made some awful faux pas), I know I need to contact the Chicago Alumnae Panhellenic for my recs. However, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice regarding how to word that introductory e-mail. It seems rude and rather forward to simply ask for alumnae to write my recs- especially if they don't know me. Should I ask them to lunch? Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottytoddy6 View Post
Hi! I'm from Chicago and I'll be attending Ole Miss in the fall. Having read the recruitment forums thoroughly (a million thank you's- I definitely would have shown up in jeans or made some awful faux pas), I know I need to contact the Chicago Alumnae Panhellenic for my recs. However, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice regarding how to word that introductory e-mail. It seems rude and rather forward to simply ask for alumnae to write my recs- especially if they don't know me. Should I ask them to lunch? Any help would be much appreciated!
It's not rude at all - for them, it's an opportunity to introduce a young woman to the sorority they love. You don't have to grease the wheels by feeding them or anything. Just be sure that you have all the information needed (which an Ole Miss-savvy poster will help you out with) so they don't have to keep calling you for confirmation on this or that.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

To Whom it May Concern,

My name is Patty PNM and I will be attending the University of Mississippi as a freshman this fall. I am planning to participate in sorority recruitment, and understand that I need recommendations.

The sororities at Ol' Miss(or Ole Miss[i can't remember which is correct]) are (list them in Alpha order). I was hoping that you might be able to provide me with contact information for local alumnae members of those sororities who might be willing to help me.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Patty PNM
123 Hopeful Lane
City, State Zip
Cell Phone Number
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottytoddy6 View Post
Are you in Chicago proper? There are several groups in the area, and you'll want to find the one closest to you.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Retaking classes or attending summer school to bring up your GPA? These are things to look into, take into consideration, or be aware of if you are someone concerned about GPA or class standing and recruitment. Places or people to ask are the registrar or records office, an academic advisor, and also the Greek Life advisor/office.

1) Check and see when grades are officially posted and GPA is calculated as it may not happen until after recruitment or after the deadline to submit materials and when local Panhellenics check for a GPA.

2) Check and see if a class is eligible for a repeat and/or grade replacement, not just for rush but also for academic purposes.

3) If you are an incoming transfer student refer to number 1 and see when your first school and your new school post and calculate grades/transcripts so you know the facts about your class standing and GPA.

4) If you were at school and then went to a JC or CC, and are returning to your first school or a new school, check if and how those credits transfer and/or affect your GPA and class standing.

Every school is different and has their own rules so before you waste time, energy, and money or summer school, a different school, or rush, get all the policies and information so you can make the best decision based on reality.