GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,413
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LarryByday
» Online Users: 581
1 members and 580 guests
davidsholzeo679

Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Considering Rushing

I'm an upperclassmen and I've recently thought about rushing, just to expand my campus experience. I know my situation isn't ideal (being an upperclassmen), but I just wanted to some suggestions, or information...

1. Should I contact the Greek Life office on campus?
2. Should you actually contact different chapters on campus or is that weird?
3. Should I start meeting girls and attending public greek events?
4. Should I just forget about it?
5. I hear about "free" upperclassmen, what does that mean? And is there anyway I can find out if a chapter at my school is?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 AM

1. Yes, contact Greek Life with your questions. Make sure to ask about GPA requirements, as they are often different for current students vs. incoming Freshmen.

2. If this is formal recruitment then no, do not directly contact individual chapters or members (to avoid a recruitment violation). If informal then ask the Greek Life office what is normal on contact for your school. They may send a list to all sororities with the names of women interested in informal recruitment, or you may be given a list of open recruitment events by the office. Also, check your school's Greek Life and individual sorority chapter websites, as these may have detailed information about upcoming informal events located there.

3. Yes, attend public events! Again, it depends on whether this is formal or informal on meeting people. Yes for informal, per campus rules for formal (no contact or polite contact "Hi, How are you?" in passing or classes.)

4. I don't think anyone on an internet message board can tell you to "forget about it". Speak with your Greek Life office and ask them: what percentage of upperclassmen are placed in formal recruitment, is there an upperclassman quota or "free juniors" or however your campus may term it, what should I know being an upperclassman and going through recruitment here at State College University, and so on. Ask them to be honest, because if you're at a school where upperclassmen just don't get bid, you'd want to know that before participating.

5. "Free" usually means not counted towards quota, but again speak with your GL office about this. Not all schools use such terminology and you need facts. It's not usually on a chapter basis, however you may have a sorority colonizing at your school (and wanting members from all classifications) or in a reorganization/rebuilding status looking for strong members.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
1. Should I contact the Greek Life office on campus? YES
2. Should you actually contact different chapters on campus or is that weird? Do not contact the chapters unless it is Continuous Open Recruitment and the chapters have indicated that interested parties should contact them.
3. Should I start meeting girls and attending public greek events? Yes.
4. Should I just forget about it? No
5. I hear about "free" upperclassmen, what does that mean? And is there anyway I can find out if a chapter at my school is? Not all campuses allow upperclassman to not be counted as part of quota. Inquire at your Greek Life office if this is the case at your school.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.