GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 985
1 members and 984 guests
Titchou

Old 08-05-2003, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing - Time constraints?

Hey all-
As I've been thinking about upcoming rush, I'm wondering if I'll have the time to fit everything in my schedule. My top priority is academics, and as of now I'll have 18 credits in my schedule, including two labs and a class at a school a half hour away. This means I'll probably be in class from 9-3:30 every day! Secondly, I absolutely need a job because I need to pay for insurance and stuff. I don't plan on working full time, probably just some babysitting, but I need to do enough to make the dough.

I'm actually more concerned about pledging... I'm sure I can make time for rush week, since I probably won't have a job by then, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much of my time will be consumed by sorority activities? I've gotta sleep sometime!

I know answers will vary from house to house, school to school, but I'm hoping I'll get a general idea. Thanks guys, I'm starting to get excited (I've gone from thinking about just rushing to thinking about the pledge period!), and I don't want to jump into anything that I won't be able to commit to.

Am I better off asking these things during recruitment events?

Thanks again!

-Jamie

edit: To clarify, I'm thinking more of an hours-a-day, or hours-a-week kind of idea. I know that the whole period can be any number of weeks!

Last edited by scoopage; 08-05-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2003, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
I think a lot of it depends on the school and the chapter. I definitely have sisters that survive hard class schedules, work, hold offices...and still make a 4.0 every semester.

Keep in mind that you'll probably know your sorority's schedule pretty well in advance. That may make things easier.

Also, I know in our chapter, unavoidable work conflicts are considered excused absences for mandatory events. If it becomes a constant problem, it gets to be an issue, but our chapter tries to give a bit of slack on that front.

I'd say to go to recruitment and ask questions. I wouldn't make a huge deal about it- that could hurt you- but I would ask. Go with your gut instinct once you have more information.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM

You should definatly ask this questions during recruitment. Like sherbertlemons, it all depends on the chapter. During info night (I COBed) I told them right off the bat- I want to be part of your sisterhood, I think you guys are awesome. But, I have 18 credits, I work at the pool, and I run Varsity Track and XC. They were more than willing to accomedate me. I even missed an event to go to a concert.
If the group really wants you, and you really want them, I think its totally possible to do everything.

GOOD LUCK- and remeber, just be yourself!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

New member time constraints really weren't bad for me - my chapter was pretty organized about it and did everything on Sunday nights, so you just kind of reserved that as Gamma Phi time. We also always did socials on Thursdays, so once again you had that kind of time reserved. I would say it took up maybe 5-6 hours/week, but I was also an officer while still a pledge.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was active, I took the equivalent of 20 hours a week, worked as a Residential Counselor and had another office job. It was tough to do well in all of those and be a sister who gave a lot to the house, but I was able to do all of that stuff. It just comes down to how willing you are to prioritize and sacrifice some things.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
New member time constraints really weren't bad for me - my chapter was pretty organized about it and did everything on Sunday nights, so you just kind of reserved that as Gamma Phi time. We also always did socials on Thursdays, so once again you had that kind of time reserved. I would say it took up maybe 5-6 hours/week, but I was also an officer while still a pledge.
We had (and still have) that kind of arrangement, too.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Not a Mezzo
If nothing else, being in a sorority will teach you how to manage your time beautifully. Seriously. I think I'll be able to write a best-selling book on the subject after I graduate. :rollseyes:

There are a few things that you really ought to go to (ie weekly meetings) and a few that are fun extras, but can be moved to accommodate other things (TV night on the hall, etc.) I'm sure you'll have a bunch of people tell you about the multitude of things they're involved with, and how they still manage to float on top of it all. You know that; you've got a lot on your plate already.

A girl in my Rho Chi group was (still is, actually) on the cheerleading squad. It was a priority with her. She let people know in recruitment parties, in a polite yet firm manner, that cheerleading was important to her and took up a lot of time. One group flat-out told her they would never consider pledging her, for that reason. But she shrugged it off, and found an organization she loves, and which loves her right back. ADPi wouldn't be the same without her.

Just remember: it never hurts to try it out. Ask honest questions. Make a few new friends. You might decide school is more important, and don't want anything to mess with that. That's quite all right, and really a commendable (sp?), responsible attitude. You might also discover that you really want the chance to go Greek; in which case, go for it! You'll have a lot of support, both from your GLO and people here on GC.

Either way, be well-informed in order to make the right choice for YOU. And good luck!!!! and please forgive me for the length of my reply.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
18 credit hours and living 30 mins away? Trust me when I say that you might be better off living on campus. It's more expensive, but it makes studying easier and makes it harder to say, "Ya know, I really don't feel like driving all the way there today." One of my former roommates almost failed out living at home and when she moved on campus her grades were tons better.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 08-06-2003, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
My description to women is that most things take place at night. In my chapter there is the chapter meeting and new member meeting...so two nights a week you have those, but they usually are about an hour each...Other than that most things arent mandatory...I find that most women just end up hangin out more then anything...Also I know in my chapter we open the chapter room up for studying, which helps women to make sure they fit that into their schedules...I believe that it is very possible to take the load you are and still be an active member in a chapter...Atleast take a look and try it out...i hate to suggest this, but if you get involved and find that school is hurting because of your chapter involvement, you can give that up...it can be one of the hardest decissions, but you can do it...So atleast give it a chance.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXPGoBot
To give an indication:

When I pledged I also trained to become a Staff member for orientation, trained to be on our radio station, was an SGA senator, was in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, was involved in a leadership organization called IMPACT, and also in the Student Activities Board, all that piled on top of having the most difficult major on campus. That semester was my best ever, I got a 3.96. Granted, classes were a bit easier than most semesters after that but still. The point is, it can be done no matter how hard or time consuming it is. You just have to really focus and manage your time well.
I think the main reason why grades can drop during pledging isn't due to grades. A big reason could be that the Brothers/Sisters are hazing them so much that they're just too stressed out to concentrate on school. Or, at the other end of the spectrum, the NM are having way too much fun and getting caught up in it all and forgetting that they actually have to go to class and do homework. If you can avoid these two things, you should be fine Jamie.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nauadpi
Atleast take a look and try it out...i hate to suggest this, but if you get involved and find that school is hurting because of your chapter involvement, you can give that up...it can be one of the hardest decissions, but you can do it...So atleast give it a chance.
I'm sorry to disagree nauadpi, but if you pledge with that attitude, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. A sorority or fraternity isn't just some club that you can drop out of it you don't like it (that's what Student Government is for ). It means a lot more than that. It's for life. If your grades are suffereing because you're in a sorority you're doing something wrong or your sisters aren't being as udnerstanding as they should. There are very few extreme circumstances where you should even think of "quiting." Sorry to disagree nauadpi, but I don't want Jamie to get the impression that she can just leave if she doesn't like it. It doesn't work like that, or at least shouldn't, if you claim to have a devotion to your organization.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astroAPhi
18 credit hours and living 30 mins away? Trust me when I say that you might be better off living on campus.
I think that she already lives on campus, but ONE of the classes she has to take is at another school - from what I hear that's common in her area. Jamie, am I right?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXPGoBot
I'm sorry to disagree nauadpi, but if you pledge with that attitude, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. A sorority or fraternity isn't just some club that you can drop out of it you don't like it (that's what Student Government is for ). It means a lot more than that. It's for life. If your grades are suffereing because you're in a sorority you're doing something wrong or your sisters aren't being as udnerstanding as they should. There are very few extreme circumstances where you should even think of "quiting." Sorry to disagree nauadpi, but I don't want Jamie to get the impression that she can just leave if she doesn't like it. It doesn't work like that, or at least shouldn't, if you claim to have a devotion to your organization.
AXP, I admire your post, but I must agree with NAUADPi. While the Greek experience is intended as a Lifetime Experience, a college student is enrolled in college to excel academically. If he/she cannot balance Greek Life with school, then Greek Life should be something that is put on hold. If someone fails out of school, then their membership in their GLO is also in jeopardy. I would encourage any student to put school first, before their social life. Being Greek is a wonderful and valuable experience with many benefits, but if one is barely getting through college, then the Greek experience is not something that is beneficial to them at that time, and they need to seriously consider their priorities and long-term goals. As much as I want every GLO member and PNM to take membership seriously, and I know they do (most members would prefer to go without AOL everyday for the rest of their lives than give up their membership b/c they are so devoted to it! That's devotion!!!! LOL), every GLO collegiate member must understand that part of their responsibilty to their GLO includes good grades and personal acheivement. If this is not possible as a result of that person's involvment in the GLO b/c they are not able to balance the two, then the GLO and the member are doing one another a disservice by not helping that member acheive his/her academic potential.

I am proud to be a lifetime member of my sorority, and prouder knowing that my sorority has an excellent academic monitoring and scholarship program (as we all do!) to help members balance school and sorority, but not every individual member is able to handle both these responsibilities. When push comes to shove, school is why you are in college. If an uninitated member needs to take time out for school, they can go through recruitment again. If an initated member must leave to focus on other areas in their lives, there is always the possibility of membership reinstatement as an alum. And to those unable to have the Greek experience in college, they may pursue alumnae initation after they have graduated. It is possible to be devoted and make Greek Life a lifetime experience, but school must always come first.

I am sorry to ramble and I don't intend to offend anyone. Greeks make the greatest effort to promote scholarship internally, and make an effort to help members balance their social life with their school life, but not every member is able to make that balance work for them. And ultimately, the member needs to do what is right for them and their future. A PNM needs to understand that as they come in, they are signing on for something wonderful, special and sacred, but to also know that their friends will be there for them if they have re-prioritize their lives. A sister/brother always wants their friends to succeed. That is the true measure of fraternity-- love for one another.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for clarifying, I think that says it beautifully. I just didn't want anyone taking the thought of "well, I'll just go for joining, and if I find out I can't handle it, I can just leave." That's not right. You have to pledge when the time is right for you, hopefully after you've determined whether or not you'll be able to "handle" the rigors of pledging and (even moreso) of being a member of your org.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

adpiucf, you put that so beautifully!!