GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,548
1 members and 2,547 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-13-2001, 01:15 AM

Arrow Engagement Rings

I was watching Sex and the City tonight and the ladies were making a huge deal about a man getting the "right ring" for the woman he is proposing to. So I thought I would ask all you married/engaged women what your engagement ring looks like and for you not-yet-engaged, what engagement ring would you like to have?

------------------
@~Tracy~@

"...For it's just the flame of a sister's love, that makes the world go round."

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE DZ COLLEGIANS DURING RUSH!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2001, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I'm partial to anything that's NOT yellow gold. White gold is good, Platinum is great, but my skin tone is TOO close to golden to wear a yellow gold band.

I like round diamonds, somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8 carat. I know that sounds small, but I have small hands. Speaking of rings and SATC, did anyone check out that big ring that Samantha had on? YIKES!
Old 08-13-2001, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hehe, my boyfriend can recite the specs of what I want

1 to 1.5 carat emerald cut solitaire in platinum or white gold setting.

While it'd be nice to have the guy surprise me, I'd much rather pick out the ring myself. Or at least go shopping with the guy and let him surprise me with it at a later date. I guess I'm picky like that
Old 08-13-2001, 03:10 AM
Unregistered-

Smile

I agree with juniorgrrl...it'd be nice for him to surprise me, but I'd like to pick out the ring myself.

I'd like a 0.75 to 1.5 round cut and I'm fine with either a platinum or yellow gold setting. My skin tone is just right for either setting.

I like the more traditional look--like Tiffany's classic six-prong, but the Etoile design is also nice.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ees125
Most people think this is strange, but it's what I have always wanted in an engagement ring. I want my birthstone (aquamarine) which looks almost like a diamond to most people (even though I don't think so). All my jewlery has my birthstone in it. I want a solitare though, preferrably an emerald cut.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyleggedsigma Send a message via Yahoo to crazyleggedsigma
Talking

Oh my! How perfect! If we could only let our guys see this... My roommate and I discuss this all the time...my mind changes periodically, but here's what it is at the moment...

AlphaChiGirl, I'm with you on the small hands thing. My fingers are fairly long, but they are really thin (I should be a hand model, but love swimming too much to keep my hands dry at all times!), so I need a 'smaller' diamond. I love radiant cut stones--the combination of a princess- and emerald-cut with the corners cut off. A thin baguette on each side, with a matching wedding band (three baguettes end-to-end). I'd love platinum, but will happily accept white gold.

Happy daydreaming!

------------------
"...Sigma 3, Sigma Tri, Sigma! Sigma! Till I die!"
Beta Xi 1144
Southeast Missouri State
Old 08-13-2001, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a dream last night about being proposed to! Of course, it was JUST a dream, as that won't be happening anytime soon Anyway, in the dream, I had a sapphire (I don't know what size or anything) surrounded by little diamonds. It was pretty, but why I'm dreaming about getting engaged is beyond me!
Old 08-13-2001, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Tracy,
I'm jealous...1.5 carats? I'm going to bump up to a diamond that size one of these days.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl:
[B]Awesome topic, girls! I love to brag on my rings. My husband did an amazing job picking mine out. My engagement ring is an estate ring from the 1920s. It is platinum, with a 1 carat round center stone. However, it has four large platinum prongs on the corner so it tricks the eye--the center stone looks like a princess cut. It has two 10-point tapered baguettes on each side. I adore it!
My wedding band is also platinum by Tacori, and it is a copy of a style very popular in the 20's. It has alternating princess and round cut stones, each individually bezel set. It's .75 carats total--not an eternity band, but my fingers are so thin it looks like one!
B]

Your rings do sound so very, very beautiful. I have also indicated to the guy I think will be "the one" that I would like to have a vintage/estate engagement ring. I'm much more into the design of the ring than the perfect cut of the diamond itself, which lends itself to appreciating an old world ring.

I will also be indicating that a bracelet, pair of earrings, necklace or other piece of jewelry commemorating the event will be the perfect complement to the proposal. We can then go out and select the engagement ring together AFTER the proposal.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Shelacious, you sound like MY kind of girl!
Old 08-13-2001, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

I really know nothing about jewelry. I have never own expensive jewelry. The most expensive piece will probably be a lavalier -if my parents get me one for my bday, but even then it won't be that expensive maybe $150. I like platinum and white gold. Lots of diamonds too. Kilarney- I love Sex and the City. I didn't like the firt ring Aidan gave Carrie. Looking at Samantha's earrings I thought my god her ears must hurt!
Old 08-13-2001, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, I don't care about what color gold, but this is what I want: 1 to 1.5 carat princess cut 5-prong tiffany setting.

For Xmas, my boyfriend gave me an amazing ring though. An emerald cut aquamarine (my birthstone) with 3 diamonds on either side. It's beautiful! (but it's not an engagement ring!)

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 08-13-2001, 09:36 PM

My engagement ring is a diamond, about 0.5 carat, brilliant cut, set in platinum. I would have preferred bigger but my husband was a grad student at the time we got engaged - and besides, my hands are small and delicate - a big rock would look very out of place.
Old 08-14-2001, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Awesome topic, girls! I love to brag on my rings. My husband did an amazing job picking mine out. My engagement ring is an estate ring from the 1920s. It is platinum, with a 1 carat round center stone. However, it has four large platinum prongs on the corner so it tricks the eye--the center stone looks like a princess cut. It has two 10-point tapered baguettes on each side. I adore it!
My wedding band is also platinum by Tacori, and it is a copy of a style very popular in the 20's. It has alternating princess and round cut stones, each individually bezel set. It's .75 carats total--not an eternity band, but my fingers are so thin it looks like one!
I love my rings! I wouldn't trade them for anything!

[This message has been edited by greeklawgirl (edited August 13, 2001).]
Old 08-14-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
I agree with juniorgrrl...it'd be nice for him to surprise me, but I'd like to pick out the ring myself.

I'd like a 0.75 to 1.5 round cut and I'm fine with either a platinum or yellow gold setting. My skin tone is just right for either setting.

I like the more traditional look--like Tiffany's classic six-prong, but the Etoile design is also nice.
I *love* the Etoile collection I'm always going to tiffany.com and showing my boyfriend the etiole earrings that are kinda button shaped. Not that kinda thing matters, but if he wanted to give them to me...