GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 957
2 members and 955 guests
Mooch279

Old 09-27-2006, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Starting a local sorority

Myself along with a number of my friends are interested in starting a local sorority. We have all the paper work from our school, we were just wondering from others who have started a sorority what all we need to do and who we should contact. I know that we need a name and motto and mascot I just am not sure if there is a wrong choice or if it matters. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there are about 5 threads there about starting a local. Start there.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

www.localsororities.org is also a great website!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

only advice i have is be original. do your research and make sure that you find a name, mascot, colors, motto, ect. that are your own. there are a lot of sororities out there and if you have too many similarities to one already existing, it's easy for people to say you are trying to copy them. good luck
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine started a local sorority at our university this year. Just make sure you are ready to put in a lot of time and effort. It's a lot of work. Currently we are still a colony and will be voted on in 3 weeks. Wish us luck!!

Lauren
Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveliveson623 View Post
A friend of mine started a local sorority at our university this year. Just make sure you are ready to put in a lot of time and effort. It's a lot of work. Currently we are still a colony and will be voted on in 3 weeks. Wish us luck!!

Lauren
Is this a local sorority intending to go national? Who will be voting on you in 3 weeks?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi,
Just for information Zeta Lambda Zeta are a very easy openning chapter sorority. ZLZ system is based on local sorority system with international network...
zetalambdazeta.org
10 chapters in Canada and France
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I have poked around to see if my question could be answered, but still have questions: i want to start a local sorority in my community. I'm not in college. I'm married with kids. But my purpose will be to bridge the gap between professional women and young ladies. What steps do i take after, purpose, mascott, motto, jewel...... How do we become incorporated
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=98668

Why do you want to start a sorority? Would a different type of club without greek letters be a better idea? Why have an official organization? What is the point? Is there another avenue that already exists?

The answer to the last one is "most likely."

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic77 View Post
I have poked around to see if my question could be answered, but still have questions: i want to start a local sorority in my community. I'm not in college. I'm married with kids. But my purpose will be to bridge the gap between professional women and young ladies. What steps do i take after, purpose, mascott, motto, jewel...... How do we become incorporated
If you don't need it to be college-based, why don't you look into Beta Sigma Phi? It's an international sorority and you don't have to be in college. It actually provides you with what you may be looking for. You can start a chapter around your area called a Friendly Venture. Here is their website for you to contact them: http://betasigmaphi.org/

Scroll down to the area that says "Contact Us" and give them a call. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thnx for the info @ existing sorority, but I want to start my own. Been throught some things already with 3 sororities and none of them have it together. One rushed the process of starting, another misquoted its purpose and the final one has bern through a lot of changes. I want to take my time and do this right!! Just need to know how to start.....
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thnx for the info @ existing sorority, but I want to start my own. Been throught some things already with 3 sororities and none of them have it together. One rushed the process of starting, another misquoted its purpose and the final one has bern through a lot of changes. I want to take my time and do this right!! Just need to know how to start.....
Good luck with that.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
There are already organizations that do this. I suggest you look into them. If you really want to serve a purpose, you have to put your pride aside a lot of the time, and insisting on creating a sorority is the opposite of that.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. There are hundreds of mentoring organizations out there. I don't get why it has to be a greek letter sorority.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Here We Go....

Quote:
Oh, here we go again. Because you didn't get a bid to one of the three sororities on your campus, you want to start a new one. You sound like a spoiled brat who didn't get her way. Nevermind, please ignore I gave you information for Beta Sigma Phi. You don't sound like the type of person I would want wearing letters in either of my organizations. Can't wait to see how this works out.