GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 589
0 members and 589 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2004, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

wow....i have officially seen it all.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
because i didn't want to join one. ifc frats came calling and i actually did go to a few rush functions and it wasn't something i as interested in. even got bids, but i didn't like it. and yes, that is an answer to why there aren't minorities in white GLO's. i'm not the one who thinks that y'all should go out and specifically look for non-white members. if they want it, hey....more power to them. i'm not calling anyone out, my point is that a lot of y'all use the only minority in your chapter as the posterboy for diversity. in some cases, it is blatant racial discrimination...other times, folks just don't want it.
For once, I think we agreed on something
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-01-2004, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Great article..... not used to seeing a decently written article in student newspapers anymore.

What the groups are doing really impressed me. Loved the Delta idea... getting the groups together that had Deltas in their name.

I have the feeling that starang is P.O.ed about the handsigns. Obviously DST was okay with it in that situation and they were partaking in it.

Most people don't know NPHCs have handsigns. I honestly knew zero about NPHC groups because they weren't very visible on my campus, never heard about anything called a "handsign" until I got on GC. We always made a KD sign with our hands- we figured out we can make a Kappa and a Delta pretty easily and did it for pictures and stuff.

Making a (non-obsene) signal with your hand isn't anything to get up in arms about.

And actually, what the picture reminds me of is our "help me" signal that we used when we went out as sisters. If there was a guy on you and you wanted to get away from him or if you otherwise needed help, you made a triangle with your hands to signal to your sisters to help you out.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Megerts
How is okay for a "historically african-american" sorority not to initiate a white member but it's not okay for "traditionally white" sorority? It goes both ways, but that doesn't make it any more right! You should join an organization because you feel comfortable with those people, not because you share the same skin tone/culture.
It's not ok and for the record the NPHC's have hundreds of members that are white/caucasian, and other ethnicities.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere
women can only be given a bid if they sign up for recruitment, rush, and sign a bid card. if minorities don't go through rush, they won't get a bid. it's as simple as that.

i don't like the idea of "soliciting" women solely based on their color. that is wrong. if a woman of color would like to consider a npc, she should go through recruitment by her own wishes. not by the wishes of a group that wants to integrate their chapter. that's faulty logic.
Co-Sign
Old 04-01-2004, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Great article..... not used to seeing a decently written article in student newspapers anymore.

What the groups are doing really impressed me. Loved the Delta idea... getting the groups together that had Deltas in their name.

I have the feeling that starang is P.O.ed about the handsigns. Obviously DST was okay with it in that situation and they were partaking in it.

Most people don't know NPHCs have handsigns. I honestly knew zero about NPHC groups because they weren't very visible on my campus, never heard about anything called a "handsign" until I got on GC. We always made a KD sign with our hands- we figured out we can make a Kappa and a Delta pretty easily and did it for pictures and stuff.

Making a (non-obsene) signal with your hand isn't anything to get up in arms about.

And actually, what the picture reminds me of is our "help me" signal that we used when we went out as sisters. If there was a guy on you and you wanted to get away from him or if you otherwise needed help, you made a triangle with your hands to signal to your sisters to help you out.
not mad, just....surprised.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna

The NPC sororities were social organizations, and I wanted to be in something that was service-oriented.
Co-sign to this also. THere are fundamental differences to NPC and NPHC orgs. This is one reason why blacks (and other non- white ethnic groups) gravitate to NPHC orgs. I'll come back and finish this..

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 04-01-2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
You know, a chapter can only be diverse if the CAMPUS is diverse. If the campus is predominately white, then it's a fair bet that the Greek system will also be predominately white. What does te Greek system have to do with that? How can anyone expect that the GLO's will be integrated if the campus isn't?

I'm sorry but every time this conversation occurs (integration) everyone talks about it being the GLO's problem alone. No one addresses the fact that there might not be non-white men/women who are interested on the campus.

The University I graduated from is predominately white, in an area of the country that is predominately white, so the Greek houses are predominately white.
Very good point.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaPoodle
It's not ok and for the record the NPHC's have hundreds of members that are white/caucasian, and other ethnicities.
AND FOR THE RECORD, If you read down i said two wrongs don't make a right
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
calm down....rub your ears and woooosaaahh.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
quit your bitchin'

i don't even know whats going on in this thread

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
had this great thing with quoting Confucious in meetings to add his two-cents.

(I find myself "eek"ing a lot these days!)

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Quote:

that's beautiful
Old 04-01-2004, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Quote:

Great article. That's nice that two sororites like that get together. At my school, there are occassions, like that picture, that are rare.

One more thing, if your AA (especially living in the south), and if you pledge a "white" sorority or fraternity, then you could lose some respect from some people, especially AAs. They would think that you are turning your own race by joining a NPC or a IFC. Well, that's certantly (sp) not true. And, your right all, you're joining because of who you are on the inside, not on the outside.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Banned

I find it funny how if you're a token Asian in a black fraternity you can call any minority in another fraternity a token, but hey that's me.

-Rudey