GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,428
1 members and 2,427 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

The only thing that makes me believe that this kind of thing is not happening in this day and age is with the advent of youtube and myspace - cell phone pictures would be circulating and it would be all over the web.

It is much harder to get away with things that are either this disgusting or titillating (to sickos). Someone will blab with hard photo evidence.

IMO, a lineup of nude 18 year old girls would be too much temptation for some guys to not pull out a camera phone to memorialize the moment, and then post it because they think they are so cool.

But, I could be wrong, it's happened before.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

You'd like to think that college students are smart enough not to leave proof of illegal activities...but I've seen WAAAY too much evidence to the contrary.

I'm inclined to think you're right, srmom.
Although I don't doubt that it happens some places, I doubt it's to the extent that some would like you to believe.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

And Bluemay, I certainly wouldn't tolerate it. If I heard of an instance of 18 year old girls being lined up naked in front of a fraternity, I would do anything in my power to bring down whoever made or allowed that kind of thing happen.

That is disgusting to even suggest that I would tolerate something like that.

Has your boyfriend done anything to make sure this doesn't happen again. Did he contact his nationals, or the university, or even the police, to let them know that this type of thing is occuring, or has occured at his house? Have you?

Doing nothing after the fact does not exonerate one from culpability, the event could occur in the future and how would you or your boyfriend feel knowing that his chapter house was full of a bunch of degenerates and you did nothing to stop this type of behavior?

Last edited by srmom; 09-13-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemay414 View Post
I don't think this is a bit funny. This really does happen and it is disgusting! My boyfriend witnessed this firsthand. His frat was matched with a sorority that made the pledges line up nude and the guys circled their fat.
Just curious. Are you in a sorority? Was your boyfriend one of those boyfriends who didn't want you to join a sorority?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
The only thing that makes me believe that this kind of thing is not happening in this day and age is with the advent of youtube and myspace - cell phone pictures would be circulating and it would be all over the web.
I'm not sure about this. Imagine cell-phone pictures of sorority or fraternity initiation ceremonies. They would be GREAT youtube fodder, but you don't see them anywhere. That doesn't mean that the ceremonies aren't happening. It just means no one has been posting pictures...so far.
________
BUY BUBBLERS

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell someone? Come one! First of all there is the proof. The so called "popular" groups are the worst and they have power. There is intimidation used and who wants to be the one to 'rat them out'. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there are rules broken all the time, but everyone turns a blind eye to it. I'm just saying it is wrong and I'm disgusted that it happens and especially allowed among these so called 'popular' groups. I have found that the 'popular' groups (in HS and College) are filled with some of the meanest people. The other members are so terrified of the others that they go along with things so they won't be turned on themselves. And if anyone out there says this is hogwash, then fine, believe what you want. All I can say is, I know what I know. Don't believe me if you don't want to. But this forum is about Hazing and I just thought some people might want a heads up before getting themselves involved in something that they will not feel comfortable with. And be prepared to do A LOT of drinking! If you don't like to drink, this might be a huge problem for you in becoming a pledge. A LOT of Sororities and esp. Fraturnities will be making you drink a lot of alchohol. For real!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I'm not sure about this. Imagine cell-phone pictures of sorority or fraternity initiation ceremonies. They would be GREAT youtube fodder, but you don't see them anywhere. That doesn't mean that the ceremonies aren't happening. It just means no one has been posting pictures...so far.
Naked chicks are not the same as ritual. Have you ever carried your cellphone or digital camera into any of your ceremonies? I never have and I'm fairly certain no other NPC organization allows it either.

Quote:
Tell someone? Come one! First of all there is the proof. The so called "popular" groups are the worst and they have power. There is intimidation used and who wants to be the one to 'rat them out'. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that there are rules broken all the time, but everyone turns a blind eye to it. I'm just saying it is wrong and I'm disgusted that it happens and especially allowed among these so called 'popular' groups. I have found that the 'popular' groups (in HS and College) are filled with some of the meanest people. The other members are so terrified of the others that they go along with things so they won't be turned on themselves. And if anyone out there says this is hogwash, then fine, believe what you want. All I can say is, I know what I know. Don't believe me if you don't want to. But this forum is about Hazing and I just thought some people might want a heads up before getting themselves involved in something that they will not feel comfortable with. And be prepared to do A LOT of drinking! If you don't like to drink, this might be a huge problem for you in becoming a pledge. A LOT of Sororities and esp. Fraturnities will be making you drink a lot of alchohol. For real!
And this keeps getting funnier...are you even greek?

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 09-13-2007, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I ask my questions again: Are you in a sorority? Was your boyfriend one of those boyfriends who didn't want you to join a sorority?

Because right now, you're sounding like someone who does a lot of generalizing, stereotyping and relying on what you heard somewhere.

And p.s. -- if you're relying on what your boyfriend or your friends told you, then no, you don't know what really happened. You know what you they told you happened. There is a difference.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It does not matter whether I am or am not in a sorority. I am just stating the facts I know regardless. If you chose not to believe them, that is your choice. Not ALL sororities are like that, I will not say whether or not my boyfriend joined or not, I don't need a bunch of 'I know I'm right' people trying to shoot me down because I am 1) Not greek and bitter 2) Greek and a rat for 'telling' 3) Not Greek or Greek and unpopular and bitter for being that way etc. I may be neither, either or both, but I am telling you the facts the way I know it as an FYI for the innocent ones out there thinking of or going through rush. The "Best" is isn't always what you may think it is and trust me you may not want it. And if you do, well then, enjoy!
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am just stating the facts I know regardless.
No, you're repeating hearsay. There's a difference, as MysticCat has already pointed out to you.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It does not matter whether I am or am not in a sorority. I am just stating the facts I know regardless. If you chose not to believe them, that is your choice. Not ALL sororities are like that, I will not say whether or not my boyfriend joined or not, I don't need a bunch of 'I know I'm right' people trying to shoot me down because I am 1) Not greek and bitter 2) Greek and a rat for 'telling' 3) Not Greek or Greek and unpopular and bitter for being that way etc. I may be neither, either or both, but I am telling you the facts the way I know it as an FYI for the innocent ones out there thinking of or going through rush. The "Best" is isn't always what you may think it is and trust me you may not want it. And if you do, well then, enjoy!

No. Facts are concrete proof that you have failed to show. IF you can present us a video, pictures, notarized paperwork that shows this happening, then we might be inclined to believe you. As it stands, these so-called fat-circling parties and all this other crap is mainly B.S. or stories that through the years, have become urban legends.

As for your boyfriend, again, unless he can show actual proof beyond his word, then I'm calling BULLSHIT!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It does not matter whether I am or am not in a sorority. I am just stating the facts I know regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
No, you're repeating hearsay. There's a difference, as MysticCat has already pointed out to you.
Exactly. You told us what your boyfriend told you. I'm not saying that he's lying, but I am saying that you cannot say that it did or didn't happen because you don't have personal knowledge -- i.e., you didn't observe it yourself. You may believe it happened, but you don't know that it happened.

Quote:
I don't need a bunch of 'I know I'm right' people trying to shoot me down because . . . .
I never said I know I'm right about what might go on in some chapters. I've just said that, from your posts so far, there is no credible reason for me to think that you are right.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And be prepared to do A LOT of drinking! If you don't like to drink, this might be a huge problem for you in becoming a pledge. A LOT of Sororities and esp. Fraturnities will be making you drink a lot of alchohol. For real!
For real? How do you know? I only know the specifics about my ONE sorority that I joined, not about the 8 others that were on the row with me. And I know FOR REAL that I wasn't forced to do A LOT of drinking and had plenty of pledge and active sisters who didn't drink, period. And I certainly didn't join a fraternity so all I know is hearsay which we have already decided is not something that can be reported as fact.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanWoman View Post
For real? How do you know? I only know the specifics about my ONE sorority that I joined, not about the 8 others that were on the row with me. And I know FOR REAL that I wasn't forced to do A LOT of drinking and had plenty of pledge and active sisters who didn't drink, period. And I certainly didn't join a fraternity so all I know is hearsay which we have already decided is not something that can be reported as fact.
If you live in a dorm with hundreds of girls, see them, talk to them, talk to the guys they hooked up, boyfriends, are friends with them on my space or facebook and can see pictures of them drinking, shot gunning, doing shots, attending kegger or gin bucket parties, if you can read the captions attached to most of these pictures, well then my friend, you can pretty much figure it out! Duh!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

But whatever...