GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,763
0 members and 1,763 guests
No Members online

Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Sigma Sigma Rho--"Do away with all proof"

Quote:
After seven hazing allegations in four years across the country, the national office of Sigma Sigma Rho, Inc. was concerned – not with how to eliminate hazing but with how to cover it up. In a nationwide email sent to every chapter in February last year, the nation board issued a memo instructing how chapters should seek to do away with all proof of hazing – under threat of penalization.
Rather than condemning hazing, a practice officially shunned by the organization, the email detailed how chapter members should eliminate a paper trails that could be linked back to the organization – belying a contradiction some Greek organizations appear to have with what they say on paper and what they do in practice.
Click here to read the story

If you're not familiar with them:
Their national site:
http://www.sigmasigmarho.com/
from their website
Quote:
Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Incorporated is a historically South Asian based sorority. Founded on December 10, 1998 by ten Distinguished Ladies at St. John’s University in New York, Sigma Sigma Rho was the first sorority of its kind to be established on the East Coast. The name Sigma Sigma Rho was chosen for this organization because it substantially upholds our motives and goals, which are expressed in Sisterhood, Society, and Remembrance. Sigma Sigma Rho embodies unity amongst women of South Asian descent, strives to serve society on a small and large scale, and holds fast in instilling a sense of pride in the background of each individual sister.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLL........
Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Banned

Holy shitstorm Batman!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 PM

The fact that college students have to be TOLD to cover it up is just kind of...are we really at that point? No I am not condoning hazing, just kind of in amazement that doing so isn't an instinctive response anymore.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The fact that college students have to be TOLD to cover it up is just kind of...are we really at that point? No I am not condoning hazing, just kind of in amazement that doing so isn't an instinctive response anymore.
Unfortunately, many in the 16-21 age group think everything is fair game for twitt_er. I am pretty hard to shock, yet occasionally I am floored by the lack of judgement I see on that site.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it very strange that their National Office is comprised of collegiate-aged women. According to their profiles on the "National" none of them have been initiated members more than 4 years. While I'm quite sure there are some super-women that could handle the judgement, professonalism, and organizational skills to be in a national position, I do wonder if some of their practices and decision come down to the fact that these women are trying to "lead" their peers.

Θ Φ Α

Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA85 View Post
I find it very strange that their National Office is comprised of collegiate-aged women. According to their profiles on the "National" none of them have been initiated members more than 4 years. While I'm quite sure there are some super-women that could handle the judgement, professonalism, and organizational skills to be in a national position, I do wonder if some of their practices and decision come down to the fact that these women are trying to "lead" their peers.
In non-NPC and non-IFC GLOs, the amount of time you've been a member often has nothing to do with your actual age. In other words, someone who's been a member for 2 years might be 32.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In non-NPC and non-IFC GLOs, the amount of time you've been a member often has nothing to do with your actual age. In other words, someone who's been a member for 2 years might be 32.
I realize that.
However, some of the women have their photos on the page as well as their class standing and major.

Θ Φ Α

Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Their entire national board is composed of women who have been members for just 2 - 4.75 years. Very possibly, these are all very young women. In light of thr national board's incredibly ill-advised e-mail to all chapters, it would behoove them to find some more mature professionals to advise them and/or sit on their board. Hopefully they will be able to correct the situation -- pronto.

From their website:

National Vice President of Finance

Khushboo Dhanani
Distinguished Sister Stryfe

Khushboo has been a sister for 3.5 years and is currently living in Queens, NY. She lovesleopard print, Hello Kitty, reality TV, her iPhone, her stuffed dog named Armaan, traveling, music, Dr. Dre headphones, dancing, giggling/smiling, & shopping.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ Oh.My.Stars!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of their ages, I think they need the help of a lawyer to inform them of their liability issues.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

One of their national members is a senior in university. Also, those bios- I don't know if I've ever described myself like that, but if I do, someone better smack me upside the head.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Regardless of their ages, I think they need the help of a lawyer to inform them of their liability issues.
YES, they do! Surely they have a General Counsel? If no they need one STAT!

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 03-18-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeeeeuuup.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Original GSU Signal story can be found on archive.org at https://web.archive.org/web/20120419...roof-1.2714857