GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,449
Threads: 115,056
Posts: 2,179,581
Welcome to our newest member, MarryRocker
» Online Users: 181
1 members and 180 guests
shirley1929
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2021, 04:33 PM
TX_Watcher TX_Watcher is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: South Texas
Posts: 18
Exclamation Alpha Phi moving it's office to Denver to be close to notorious Executive Director

This email announcement was circulated amongst volunteers yesterday / today. Much talk amongst disgruntled members that this announcement is less than authentic in its tone. The new Alpha Phi headquarters is being moved from its historic location in Evanston, IL (home to its Beta chapter) to Denver next to a very new chapter (relatively speaking). They fail to. mention it is also in the back yard of their notorious executive director who is very controversial amongst volunteers.

What's laughable is that they want you to "not share it". I guess that NDA doesn't hold even a dropper of water. That $hit was forwarded all around within 5 minutes of it being sent.

Text of the announcement here:

I have the privilege of writing to you to announce an exciting new chapter in the future of Alpha Phi, and one that involves a new home for our executive office. As fellow longtime volunteers, I am sharing this news with you first. Please do not share this information until the public announcement later this week.

As many of you know, the Alpha Phi Executive Office has moved various times. This has meant that we have called New York, Evanston, Detroit, and Chicago home throughout our history. In 2023, we will now add Denver to this list as our International Executive Office will relocate to 1985 Josephine near the University of Denver campus and co-locate with the Iota Xi Chapter of Alpha Phi.

In the past, several joint committees comprised of International Executive and Foundation Board Directors studied possible relocation as Alpha Phi continued to outgrow the Executive Office. Many past committees seriously considered Denver as the top relocation city but decided the timing was not right. Denver was always a choice for those groups based upon fraternal organizations being exempt from property tax in Colorado. During this biennium, a joint Fraternity and Foundation committee was convened to update research and discuss relocation scenarios. In considering options for a new Executive Office, the primary objectives were to identify a new home that equips our staff to serve our members best and meet our new and growing needs for collaborative space while being fiscally responsible.

In this new location near the University of Denver, we have found a space that positions our members, volunteers, and staff for success. This will mark the first time that our Executive Office has shared space with a chapter, which – while allowing for private spaces for staff and undergraduates– will allow for new and innovative opportunities for engagement with our collegiate women. The expanded footprint of the new space will also enable Alpha Phi to regularly showcase permanent artifacts from our archives and provide a museum-like space for members who visit the Executive Office. Crucially, this move will also result in operational savings for Alpha Phi, allowing us to dedicate a more significant percentage of our resources to our core mission of serving collegiate and alumnae members.

Of course, we are deeply grateful for the forty-eight years in Evanston, and we are particularly thankful for all who have visited and volunteered at our Evanston-based office over those years.*
*
On behalf of the IEB, thank you in advance for your support during this transitional period. We are thrilled to chart this new path with you, and the Fraternity and Foundation cannot wait to welcome you to our new space in just a few short years.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-17-2021, 04:53 PM
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,968
They are moving IN with an active chapter? That is like having your mother move in with you!

Last edited by thetalady; 08-17-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-17-2021, 06:00 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,306
...or mother-in-law!
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-17-2021, 06:02 PM
ChioLu ChioLu is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,242
How does this one woman have so much power? To move your international headquarters to a different city and all the expense of the cost of a new building in a city with a higher cost of living. Especially when your current headquarters site is probably all paid off. Just so it’s convenient for basically one person there. I guess the flights from Denver to Evanston got to be too much.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2021, 03:40 AM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,397
Iota Xi chapter at U of Denver chartered May 2, 2010.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2021, 09:33 AM
andthen andthen is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: right side of the coast
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
How does this one woman have so much power? To move your international headquarters to a different city and all the expense of the cost of a new building in a city with a higher cost of living. Especially when your current headquarters site is probably all paid off. Just so it’s convenient for basically one person there. I guess the flights from Denver to Evanston got to be too much.

This is just nuts and yeah I heard about this from another page I follow. I just feel terrible for Alpha Phi that this person has wielded so much power its almost as though the checks and balances were thrown out the window.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2021, 10:48 AM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
This is just nuts and yeah I heard about this from another page I follow. I just feel terrible for Alpha Phi that this person has wielded so much power its almost as though the checks and balances were thrown out the window.
Still not quite in the same class as the National Executive director of Tau Epsilon Phi who declared that all of the chapters had not met their financial obligations, therefore no one could vote for National Officers, and therefore there were no National Officers who had the right to replace him.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2021, 09:34 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
Aren’t there tax breaks to being in Indiana? Are they just throwing those all out the window?
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2021, 04:36 AM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Aren’t there tax breaks to being in Indiana? Are they just throwing those all out the window?
I also thought that that was part of the reason there had been such a gathering of HQs in Indianapolis...
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2021, 09:01 AM
ForeverRoses ForeverRoses is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Aren’t there tax breaks to being in Indiana? Are they just throwing those all out the window?
There are- but Alpha Phi is in Evanston, which is Illinois.
__________________
So I enter that I may grow in knowledge, wisdom and love.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2021, 11:04 PM
Sister Havana Sister Havana is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Western suburbs of Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,990
Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Executive HQ moving into an active chapter’s house? That seems like it would be an awkward arrangement! It would feel like your boss is now living with you! Does any organization have a similar arrangement?
__________________
Alpha Phi Omega- Mu Chapter
Chicagoland Area Alumni Association
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2021, 12:13 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Aren’t there tax breaks to being in Indiana? Are they just throwing those all out the window?
Perhaps. I tried doing a search on fraternal tax breaks in Illinois a couple days ago when this was posted here on GC, and I couldn't find much. Maybe I need to dig more, but I will say that if you search "Colorado, tax, fraternal", you'll very quickly find the Fraternal Society Exemption information on the leg.colorado.gov website.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-20-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2021, 04:25 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
There are- but Alpha Phi is in Evanston, which is Illinois.
Oh geez, so it is. Don’t mind my menopausal brain.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2021, 07:13 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 17,433
My first thought is "where will all the national headquarters stuff go"? The archives, the records, etc. Even the square footage of the largest of chapter houses could not compare with the square footage of a national headquarters building. And that's not even including housing a collegiate chapter.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Cheerio Cheerio is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where Light Sings
Posts: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Watcher View Post
This email announcement was circulated amongst volunteers yesterday / today. Much talk amongst disgruntled members that this announcement is less than authentic in its tone. The new Alpha Phi headquarters is being moved from its historic location in Evanston, IL (home to its Beta chapter) to Denver next to a very new chapter (relatively speaking). They fail to. mention it is also in the back yard of their notorious executive director who is very controversial amongst volunteers.

What's laughable is that they want you to "not share it". I guess that NDA doesn't hold even a dropper of water. That $hit was forwarded all around within 5 minutes of it being sent.

Text of the announcement here:

I have the privilege of writing to you to announce an exciting new chapter in the future of Alpha Phi, and one that involves a new home for our executive office. As fellow longtime volunteers, I am sharing this news with you first. Please do not share this information until the public announcement later this week.

As many of you know, the Alpha Phi Executive Office has moved various times. This has meant that we have called New York, Evanston, Detroit, and Chicago home throughout our history. In 2023, we will now add Denver to this list as our International Executive Office will relocate to 1985 Josephine near the University of Denver campus and co-locate with the Iota Xi Chapter of Alpha Phi.

In the past, several joint committees comprised of International Executive and Foundation Board Directors studied possible relocation as Alpha Phi continued to outgrow the Executive Office. Many past committees seriously considered Denver as the top relocation city but decided the timing was not right. Denver was always a choice for those groups based upon fraternal organizations being exempt from property tax in Colorado. During this biennium, a joint Fraternity and Foundation committee was convened to update research and discuss relocation scenarios. In considering options for a new Executive Office, the primary objectives were to identify a new home that equips our staff to serve our members best and meet our new and growing needs for collaborative space while being fiscally responsible.

In this new location near the University of Denver, we have found a space that positions our members, volunteers, and staff for success. This will mark the first time that our Executive Office has shared space with a chapter, which – while allowing for private spaces for staff and undergraduates– will allow for new and innovative opportunities for engagement with our collegiate women. The expanded footprint of the new space will also enable Alpha Phi to regularly showcase permanent artifacts from our archives and provide a museum-like space for members who visit the Executive Office. Crucially, this move will also result in operational savings for Alpha Phi, allowing us to dedicate a more significant percentage of our resources to our core mission of serving collegiate and alumnae members.

Of course, we are deeply grateful for the forty-eight years in Evanston, and we are particularly thankful for all who have visited and volunteered at our Evanston-based office over those years.*
*
On behalf of the IEB, thank you in advance for your support during this transitional period. We are thrilled to chart this new path with you, and the Fraternity and Foundation cannot wait to welcome you to our new space in just a few short years.
QFP.
__________________
I'm the only man with a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl ring that doesn't wear it. I'm a Green Bay Packer.
Herb Adderley, co-founder, Sigma Chapter of Omega Psi Phi @ Michigan State University

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omega Phi Alpha Executive Director Intro OPAJenn Introductions 2 03-26-2020 02:24 PM
New Executive Director AGDAlum Alpha Gamma Delta 6 01-08-2009 06:20 PM
New executive director 33girl Alpha Sigma Alpha 4 09-29-2003 01:58 AM
New Executive Director UMgirl Alpha Gamma Delta 12 11-12-2001 03:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.