GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,431
2 members and 1,429 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question What happened to my thread about fraternities?

I thought that thread had a lot of questions and answers about fraternities and it was very helpful for me and probably other ones who were thinking of joining fraternities. I don't know why that thread got deleted though. I don't remember seeing anything offensive or illegal in that thread.

Why is it that when there are 1000s of threads about sororities and I open 1 thread about fraternities my thread gets deleted?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus
I thought that thread had a lot of questions and answers about fraternities and it was very helpful for me and probably other ones who were thinking of joining fraternities. I don't know why that thread got deleted though. I don't remember seeing anything offensive or illegal in that thread.

Why is it that when there are 1000s of threads about sororities and I open 1 thread about fraternities my thread gets deleted?
Not sure there, but lets go ahead and continue it here. It's possible that when you weren't looking someone posted some crap in it.

By the way, we're totally cool with you asking fraternity questions, the only difficult part is that there isn't a universal standard for fraternity recruitment (like formal recruitment for NPC sororities) but people will give you the best advice they can. AND use judgement in what you believe.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with you. I just wish there was one big thread about fraternities where all the questions and answers are combined together so whenever someone had a question he could ask it in that thread and also read the other answers as well. Then we wouldn't need to open a number of new threads for new questions.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

They'll delete 90% of the things you write, offensive or not.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk
They'll delete 90% of the things you write, offensive or not.

That would be a collective YOU meaning you the fratties. He's not included in the fratties.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, rename this one Fraternity Rush and if we make it worthwhile we could get a sticky.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm actually of the opinion that this forum could use a "Fraternity Rush" subforum, as the few fraternity-oriented threads seem to get pushed out very quickly by the overwhelming quantity of sorority discussions.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdxeric
I'm actually of the opinion that this forum could use a "Fraternity Rush" subforum, as the few fraternity-oriented threads seem to get pushed out very quickly by the overwhelming quantity of sorority discussions.
I think you might get a thread sticky...but there wouldn't be enough activity to warrant an actual sub-forum.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Can anyone explain the difference between formal recruitment and informal recruitment once more? I think sororities usually use formal recruitment while fraternities use informal recruitment.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus
Can anyone explain the difference between formal recruitment and informal recruitment once more? I think sororities usually use formal recruitment while fraternities use informal recruitment.
Formal recruitment is extremely structured with parties lasting a certain length of time and each PNM visiting a specific house at a specific time. There's then a structured method of winnowing down PNMs and houses until you reach bid day.

Informal recruitment is "hey come with us to Hooters/ski trip/movie night etc." and then you hit a point where you specifically are invited back and voted on and potentially extended a bid.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, at some schools, there is no bid day. Some southern schools have almost their entire pledge classes before formal rush even starts.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Forgot to mention: you're right, sororities (NPC) use formal recruitment once a year, but some may use informal recruitment throughout the year to get even more girls.

Fraternities use informal, sometimes as informally as shinerbocks above and some do it strictly during the 2 or 3 weeks of fraternity rush.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I imagine however if you're rushing in california, you'll have some sort of bid night. I can't imagine a state school in california would have such an informal rush.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the helpful information. How about advantages and disadvantages of both styles of recruitment? Which one is more rushee-friendly?
Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
I imagine however if you're rushing in california, you'll have some sort of bid night. I can't imagine a state school in california would have such an informal rush.

here is what the website says, so i think they are not very formal:

Quote:
The Interfraternity Council conducts membership recruitment in the first month of each semester. Typically there is an orientation event, and chapters then sponsor their own recruitment activities over a 5-6 day period. No registration fee is required, and it is up to the student to select which events to attend. On the second day, fraternities can start giving out "bids," which are invitations to join. Students are encouraged to visit as many chapters as practical during the recruitment period to discover the group that best meets their needs. Although most men join during the IFC-designated recruitment period, chapters are permitted to extend bids for the duration of the semester.