GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,254
4 members and 1,250 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 05-17-2004, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Question for an LDS...

Thanks for starting this thread.

I was watching Dr. Phil the other day and they had a family who was LDS who was going through some major problems. The wife wanted to be "sealed" to the husband, but because of their problems he did not want to. They were not sealed when they got married because she was already sealed. She is going through/has gone through the process to get "unsealed", I guess. My question: Is the unsealing like an annulment in the Catholic church where you say "We really weren't married in the sight of God."?

Another thing I never understood about LDS church... I've heard that people can be made members of the church after they die by family members who are are members of the church. How does this work?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-18-2004, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RxyChrldr
Re: Question for an LDS...

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
Thanks for starting this thread.

Another thing I never understood about LDS church... I've heard that people can be made members of the church after they die by family members who are are members of the church. How does this work?
Baptisms for the Dead are performed in the temple, and is a major mission of the church. It's not actually "making" dead relatives members, but it's going through a baptism in their name to allow them the opportunity in the afterlife to understand the Gospel if they never were able to hear it during their lives (refer to 1. Peter 4:6 and 1 Corinthians 15:29). Ask me for more clarification if necessary

For Cutiepatootie, I have no clue why you couldn't go your neice's baptism..that's not a church rule or anything, because both members or nonmembers are allowed to witness baptisms. Unless it was held in the temple, in which case you'd have to hold a Temple Recommend.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheet Cake
Are Mormons allowed to eat me?
Only if you're a real one...no fake Mormons allowed!
Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheet Cake
Are Mormons allowed to eat me?
Only if you're a good cake and say your nightly prayers to the egg and flour gods each night
Old 05-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Ginger

Okay, I can't tell if that last one was a serious post or a joking one

No, I don't have a temple recommend - I haven't been baptised yet. I'm tenatively planning a baptism in October with my missionaries. After baptism you generally have to be a member in good standing for at least a year before you can go for a recommend.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Ginger

am I not good enough for you Sheet Cake? I weep.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Ginger

picky picky

I'll get back to you in October
Old 05-18-2004, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Question for an LDS...

Quote:
Originally posted by RxyChrldr
Baptisms for the Dead are performed in the temple, and is a major mission of the church. It's not actually "making" dead relatives members, but it's going through a baptism in their name to allow them the opportunity in the afterlife to understand the Gospel if they never were able to hear it during their lives (refer to 1. Peter 4:6 and 1 Corinthians 15:29). Ask me for more clarification if necessary
Could you clarify what you mean by "allow them the opportunity in the afterlife to understand the Gospel..."? I'm trying to paint a picture here. ARe you saying that the baptism allows them to get another opportunity to "hear" the Gospel after they are dead and to decide then if they want to accept it or not? What if they were able to hear the Gospel during their lifetime and rejected it. Does the "member" baptism still count?

Thanks for the scripture references. My understanding of the 1 Peter scripture is that the gospel [past tense] was preached to them, as in when they were alive, before they were dead. What is your understanding?

Don't recall reading the 1 Corinthians passage before. Need to read some more before I comment.

Thanks!! Very interesting....

BTW, what about that sealing question. Can you answer that one for me?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: Question for an LDS...

Thanks for starting this thread! I've always been interested in learning about different faiths.

Quote:
Originally posted by RxyChrldr
For Cutiepatootie, I have no clue why you couldn't go your neice's baptism..that's not a church rule or anything, because both members or nonmembers are allowed to witness baptisms. Unless it was held in the temple, in which case you'd have to hold a Temple Recommend.
OK, dumb question... You have to be a member to get a temple recommend. If you're about to be baptized, by definition you're not a member yet. So how can you be baptized in a temple?

Another dumb question: What usually happens if there's a wedding held in a temple, and a significant portion of the people you'd want to invite aren't LDS? Do you have a reception somewhere else and invite the non-LDS people to the reception only?

Yet another dumb question: I'm seeing a parallel between the temple recommend and the Catholic practice that you should not receive communion if you are conscious of having committed a mortal sin and have not yet been to confession and performed your penance. Would that be an accurate comparison?

A better question : Any good online resources you'd recommend? I'm certainly not looking to convert, just to learn more.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the difference is that you cannot go in the temple at all without a temple recommend, whereas in Catholicism you are free to attend Mass and worship, you just may not partake in the Eucharist.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think the difference is that you cannot go in the temple at all without a temple recommend, whereas in Catholicism you are free to attend Mass and worship, you just may not partake in the Eucharist.
I got that... maybe I wasn't clear... the parallel I was thinking of is that there's something you cannot do, that is very central to the faith, if you're conscious of a mortal sin.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay so I have been staying silent about everything and just reading...I have to say that I think the information that is given is wonderful. And thank you for all the info becuase I have learned so much.

Okay second thing, when it comes to the Catholic Religion...The Church says you can not take communion if you are not "Catholic" but you can take communion if you have gonna through confirmation and that whole jazz. (Father Peter from St. Elizabeth's gets that credit not me.)

Okay third thing, this has a little to do with LDS...With the whole deal on caffine, alcohol and tobbacco, is that anything similar to the christian science religion?

Hope to have helped and also hope to receive some answers.

MS
Old 05-18-2004, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mshoole

Okay second thing, when it comes to the Catholic Religion...The Church says you can not take communion if you are not "Catholic" but you can take communion if you have gonna through confirmation and that whole jazz. (Father Peter from St. Elizabeth's gets that credit not me.)

I think what you are trying to say is that non-Catholics are discouraged from taking Communion at Catholic churches because they do not have the same understanding of Communion that Catholics do. In addition, you take Communion WELL before Confirmation, as in most parishes Confirmation occures several years (like 10) after the First Eucharist.

Are you a practicing Catholic?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think what you are trying to say is that non-Catholics are discouraged from taking Communion at Catholic churches because they do not have the same understanding of Communion that Catholics do. In addition, you take Communion WELL before Confirmation, as in most parishes Confirmation occures several years (like 10) after the First Eucharist.

Are you a practicing Catholic?
I made my First Holy Communion in second grade and my Confirmation in sixth grade. I attended Catholic school during that time. At some Catholic schools, they wait until eighth grade. I never heard of anyone waiting ten years to be confirmed. Is this a recent change? I never heard of it, and I attend mass weekly.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
I made my First Holy Communion in second grade and my Confirmation in sixth grade. I attended Catholic school during that time. At some Catholic schools, they wait until eighth grade. I never heard of anyone waiting ten years to be confirmed. Is this a recent change? I never heard of it, and I attend mass weekly.
I did FHC in second grade (7) and got confirmed at the end of my junior year, just before I turned 17. It's up to the diocese to decide the age of Confirmation, but more are trending towards later so it really is an adult decision.