GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,526
Threads: 114,854
Welcome to our newest member, Ronny03I7

Old 04-13-2003, 10:24 AM

Formal Recruitment where Greek Life is not recognized?

Just wondering how formal recruitment works at schools where GLOs are not recognized as campus organizations.

NPC says, if there are 2 or more NPC orgs, there must be a local Panhellenic and the sororities must hold formal rush once a year.

The school says, you are not recognized, you may not use on-campus facilities including dorms, you may not advertise on campus, and (possibly) you may not wear letters on campus.

How do you get women to come out to rush if you can't advertise it? If the sororities are unhoused, where do you hold rush parties - alums' houses, meeting rooms at hotels, restaurants, etc? What does Panhel do to provide a place for PNMs to pick up invites and fill out pref cards and get their bids?

For that matter, how would you handle informal rush?

I know this is a totally random dumb question, but I'm curious...
Old 04-13-2003, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

ooh, ooh, good question. unfortunately, i don't have the answer....but i was also wondering if there are some orgs who will not colonize on a campus unless it recognizes greeks. i don't even know about my own org, but i wonder if, for example (bc this is a school that i know off the top of my head doesn't recognize greeks) harvard was going to add more chapters, would some groups not even consider colonizing based on the fact that the school doesn't recognize them?
Old 04-13-2003, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that would depend on whether or not the school didn't recognize Greeks because of a tradition of risk management violations, or other reasons. For example, let's pretend that after this season of "Sorority Life" and "Fraternity Life," UB decides to end all Greek life because they decide it's more trouble than it's worth. Probably, in that case, Greek organizations would decide to close their chapters rather than keep them running without consent of the headquarters, just because the risk management violations associated with Buffalo are just not worth it.

However, Harvard's decision to not recognize Greek life wasn't due to the overwhelming number of risk management issues (as far as I know); they simply thought that students' attention was better directed elsewhere. For that reason -- the reason that the university administration doesn't really have a great reason to not recognize Greek life -- most groups would probably still colonize there, especially considering that being able to say "We have a chapter at Harvard" adds a lot of prestige to the national reputation.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school in Canada, we are not recognized by the university, and we have 7 NPC sororities, and 17 fraternities. We do have a panhellenic council and hold formal rush the beginning of sept. when our school year starts.
Although we are not recognized by the school, we are able to use rooms for bidmatching, gathering the girls to divide them into parties, info sessions, etc. We are also able to advertise on campus.
All 7 chapters have houses off campus as well.
I'm not really sure why the university doesn't recognize greeks but i would imagine it's due to the risk management issues.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:51 PM

Unhappy

Sigma Kappa does not put chapters where they won't be "recognized" by the school. Support of the administration has a lot to do with a chapter's success. So unless Harvard and some other schools change their policies, we won't have a chapter there.