GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,413
2 members and 1,411 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johansla View Post
"Plus what would a 20 year old clemson student who claims to be in a sorority be doing trying to get into arguments online? That does not add up."
WOW. Maybe it's my Jersey upbringing but don't expect her sisters not to be extremely offended by that statement and defend her to the end against a man-child in AZ who's got a major Peter Pan complex. Seek a psychiatrist, not a bid.
I also highly recommend you stop watching Animal House and the like--it's really warped your idea of what appropriate behavior is of a fraternity man, and you seem to be falling all too easily into the misogynistic, over-aggressive trap.
Don't flatter yourself.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh yeah I'm so so worried about having "nothing to offer a high quality guy". Gosh I'm just gonna cry in the corner with my honors thesis and 3.3 GPA and all my sisters and guy friends about how I'm gonna die alone.
Spare us the drama, sir--you're an amateur playing amongst professionals.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

BTW some closing words to some of you, I have dealt with females like the ones in this thread before. Those who feel the entire world is their kingdom and they can mistreat any guy out there as they wish and as they have done on this thread. A lot of them walk into the workplace with that mentality and get put in their place fast, so since you were kind enough to call me an "oldass" and give me advice that's the reality for the most of you. For you to get that offended over a guy rushing just means a lot of you are bottom barrel in your sorority and have nothing better to do, you are scoping around on a fraternity section for crying out loud.

Most of you seemed to have had everything handed to you in life and feel invincible because you are in a cocoon called college and can get away with this superiority complex you have, get used to being put in your place once you hit the real world. This coming from a guy who has had at least 5 years of experience in it.

That said, since I have my mind set on rushing a fraternity and am not going to change it, why are you still here on this thread? Shouldn't your lives be slightly more interesting?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Last word. So there.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johansla View Post
Oh yeah I'm so so worried about having "nothing to offer a high quality guy". Gosh I'm just gonna cry in the corner with my honors thesis and 3.3 GPA and all my sisters and guy friends about how I'm gonna die alone.
Spare us the drama, sir--you're an amateur playing amongst professionals.
LOL you better be a STEM student or else that is nothing to brag about.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Excuse me. I'm sincerely trying to be helpful. You seem to be changing your tack a bit. So, trying to get back to your question, I started thinking about ASU because I live in Arizona and know something about the Greek system at ASU. Are you aware of all the difficulties that the fraternities are experiencing there? You might want to do some research. The way things are going up there at Tempe Normal, there might not even be any fraternities left.

P.S. If you want honey, don't kick the beehive.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Excuse me. I'm sincerely trying to be helpful. You seem to be changing your tack a bit. So, trying to get back to your question, I started thinking about ASU because I live in Arizona and know something about the Greek system at ASU. Are you aware of all the difficulties that the fraternities are experiencing there? You might want to do some research. The way things are going up there at Tempe Normal, there might not even be any fraternities left.

Well first of all, I want to thank you for your nice attitude which seems to be tough to find in this thread. Next thing, I went to school on the east coast where if you were not in a fraternity your social life was severely limited. Simply put, you had to be in a fraternity to be at kinds of parties where there is alcohol and people your age group not to mention guys that love hanging out and being social.

I grew with the mindset that being in a fraternity was mandatory for that kind of an experience because you could not have that experience outside of a fraternity. My friends who had a house near the campus and threw parties still talked about how it wasn't the same as being in a fraternity.

Having talked to friends who go to San Diego St, UCSD, UCLA, Arizona St, and Oregon it seems to be the common thing. If you want to party, get wasted, and of course live a college lifestyle of debauchery then being in a fraternity is the only way. Though I am going back to college for an Arts degree because that was a topic that interested me, I would still like to live a college experience I never had the chance to live due to pressure to finish fast and having to maintain a high GPA to keep my scholarships.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
I do believe age is more of a mindset when you are in your 20s. As I said I presented my situation and all that has been done is people trying to actively discourage me from joining a fraternity rather than:

1. Telling me how those exceptions that happen happen
2. What I will need to do to make myself a good candidate
Again, you seem to be confusing honest advice as to the hurdles you may face with discouragement.

As to your second question, you will need to present yourself much differently from how you've presented yourself here. The typical 19- or 20-year-old guy is not likely to be impressed with a 26-year-old who acts like he's still in high school.

Quote:
That said, since I have my mind set on rushing a fraternity and am not going to change it, why are you still here on this thread? Shouldn't your lives be slightly more interesting?
For somebody who has his mind set on rushing, you also seem to have your mind set on blowing your chances. Assume that people from ASU will read this thread, if they haven't already, and will able to identify you with ease. Assume you are already rushing. And know that you are not making a good impression so far.

Last edited by MysticCat; 05-14-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
BTW some closing words to some of you, I have dealt with females like the ones in this thread before. Those who feel the entire world is their kingdom and they can mistreat any guy out there as they wish and as they have done on this thread. A lot of them walk into the workplace with that mentality and get put in their place fast, so since you were kind enough to call me an "oldass" and give me advice that's the reality for the most of you. For you to get that offended over a guy rushing just means a lot of you are bottom barrel in your sorority and have nothing better to do, you are scoping around on a fraternity section for crying out loud.

Most of you seemed to have had everything handed to you in life and feel invincible because you are in a cocoon called college and can get away with this superiority complex you have, get used to being put in your place once you hit the real world. This coming from a guy who has had at least 5 years of experience in it.

I congratulate you on your decision. It seems that any of the issues there might be with age are pretty obvious, so I don't assume you'll need any special help there.

It just depends on where you're going and what house. Everyplace is different. I've seen a house (in recent years) give a bid to a Vietnam Vet who was going back to school. The guy went through formal recruitment sporting his veteran regalia.

Just go through the process, be yourself and whatever other platitudes... and yeah, some of the posters here are pretty bad about always assuming the worst about people and needing to air those assumptions, but responding in kind isn't going to gain you any ground.

My prediction is you'll find a house and have a great experience. Best of luck.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

No kidding. I'm glad I'm out of Phx and don't have to worry about our future there anymore. BTW, I'm laughing about 5 years of work experience. So sweet.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-14-2014, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I will give you advice for Rushing for a fraternity:
1. Be the best version of yourself.
2. Realize that you may not get a bid from the chapter you think is perfect for you.
3. Know that being in a fraternity chapter means that you need to willing to commit time to various philanthropic events and meetings.
4. Parties are only part of chapter life
5. Brotherhood is built when you least expect it.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I congratulate you on your decision. It seems that any of the issues there might be with age are pretty obvious, so I don't assume you'll need any special help there.

It just depends on where you're going and what house. Everyplace is different. I've seen a house (in recent years) give a bid to a Vietnam Vet who was going back to school. The guy went through formal recruitment sporting his veteran regalia.

Just go through the process, be yourself and whatever other platitudes... and yeah, some of the posters here are pretty bad about always assuming the worst about people and needing to air those assumptions, but responding in kind isn't going to gain you any ground.

My prediction is you'll find a house and have a great experience. Best of luck.
Thank you. It is something I've done research about and wanted to do ever since I was 20 but being a senior in college back then I was too late to the party. I have done independent research on it but wanted to get a more involved with discussions on it.

Last edited by Signed up user; 05-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
So, to summarize, the OP is a cis/het guy who can't get any sex from women, and thinks joining a fraternity will fix that
Old 05-14-2014, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
So, to summarize, the OP is a cis/het guy who can't get any sex from women, and thinks joining a fraternity will fix that
No, it's about BROTHERHOOD. You can't find BROTHERHOOD anywhere besides collegiate fraternities. Also, girls don't understand BROTHERHOOD because girls, obviously.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
ouch, now aim for the guy's love life, next up, start talking about the guy's physical features
Closed Thread