GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,507
0 members and 1,507 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2007, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I think this is a great suggestion. Maybe the chapter should elect an officer to keep the website current. In this technologically advanced age with all young women using the internet frequently, this is a great recruitment tool!
Thanks!
There seems to be a webpage officer at each sorority but apparently they are not making it a priority to keep the site updated and current...plus all the girls need to turn in pix so the webmaster can post them I would think - so it really shouldn't be left up to just one person but rather a focus that the sorority as a whole participates in with adding ideas and getting the gpa standings and philanthropy happenings etc.!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I had a brief conversation with a member who had been one chapter's webpage person, and depending on whether the group is supposed to host the page from the university's website, it gets more complicated with passwords and access than it really ought to be (or at least that's what she told me.)

I think we also have to remember that if the chapter isn't using it internally, then it might be kind of a misplaced priority, despite how much I like well done ones, other than for recruitment PR.

When you look at the webpages for the chapters at UGA, most look like they only exist for the sake of recruitment. They seem to get updates very infrequently. Most of the bid day updates are from 2006.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
Thanks!
There seems to be a webpage officer at each sorority but apparently they are not making it a priority to keep the site updated and current...plus all the girls need to turn in pix so the webmaster can post them I would think - so it really shouldn't be left up to just one person but rather a focus that the sorority as a whole participates in with adding ideas and getting the gpa standings and philanthropy happenings etc.!
Believe me, being the webmaster is not all fun. Particularly since, as you said, you spend most of your time bugging other people for pictures. As a webmaster, I could put any information up that people wanted, but I'm not the PR chair, and it shouldn't be my job to collect the information from each member. Oh well.

Realistically, a chapter probably doesn't need an internal, password protected website. That's what email lists are for.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Believe me, being the webmaster is not all fun. Particularly since, as you said, you spend most of your time bugging other people for pictures. As a webmaster, I could put any information up that people wanted, but I'm not the PR chair, and it shouldn't be my job to collect the information from each member. Oh well.
That's why I think the PR chair should be in charge of the website. Unfortunately, in my experience the website is set up by a member's boyfriend and then they graduate and no one knows how to update it.

Quote:
Realistically, a chapter probably doesn't need an internal, password protected website. That's what email lists are for.
Or facebook groups nowadays. That's where PNMs get their information from, too.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

In the case I mention, the passwords were just for her to update and apparently it was too much from her perspective.

If it's only an external PR tool, then it doesn't have to get updated much but if the chapter tries to put a lot of information only of real interest to members, house menus, for example, which seem to be weirdly common, on it, then it's pretty obvious when they haven't been updated and it makes you wonder, hey, it they aren't really using this, why do they bother pretending?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapters at UT-Knoxville have wonderful websites that wouldn't require frequent updates. Chapters could copy these for recruitment purposes and look really good!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
That's why I think the PR chair should be in charge of the website. Unfortunately, in my experience the website is set up by a member's boyfriend and then they graduate and no one knows how to update it.

Or facebook groups nowadays. That's where PNMs get their information from, too.
Unfortunately, the PR person rarely has the ability to update the website :-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
In the case I mention, the passwords were just for her to update and apparently it was too much from her perspective.

If it's only an external PR tool, then it doesn't have to get updated much but if the chapter tries to put a lot of information only of real interest to members, house menus, for example, which seem to be weirdly common, on it, then it's pretty obvious when they haven't been updated and it makes you wonder, hey, it they aren't really using this, why do they bother pretending?
That's odd, you definitely want a password to update the site. That's something you want controlled. And I'd suspect house members know the menu and it's just another recruitment enticement.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, the PR person rarely has the ability to update the website :-/

That's odd, you definitely want a password to update the site. That's something you want controlled. And I'd suspect house members know the menu and it's just another recruitment enticement.
I think in this case, the person who had the responsibility just wasn't particularly skilled at the job. But she was honestly hampered by the complexity and frequency that password and login information was changed on the university site. They are much better off not being on the official university site, and that's something for chapters to consider. It also seems that some groups are linked into the national organization site and design in a way that could be limiting locally.

I agree that menu, etc, could be a recruitment tool, but when it's wildly out of date, it makes you wonder what was up with that?

I'd either set the site up to actually be used by members for timely information and actually keep it timely OR have the content basically be static with a cycle of annual replacement with this year's events: bid day, philanthropy, formal, social, sisterhood events, etc. It just looks bad when it's obvious that it's one thing trying to pretend to be the other.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

ttt
Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

That is a great question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I received a pm from a GCer who's a member of a smaller group on a big campus. Without outing her group, she wanted me to ask y'all how they could make PNMs feel like they were "chosen", not like they were all their group could get. She said that frequently they're in the position of having to ask back girls who have cut them and that frankly, a lot of girls who are crying at their prefs aren't doing it from happiness.

So GCers, how can they make their guests feel special and not let them think they're the "leftovers" in recruitment?
I would do it through conversation. At the door, whoever is greeting the PNM's should know them by name "Carnation, we are so glad to see you back" Then there needs to be a reaffirmation from the members when meeting the PNM. "I have heard so much about you. I'm so glad your back" As the recruitment progresses I think they need to be honest with the women they want. I don't think there is any thing wrong with telling these women that they do want them and that they would be "perfect helping us rebuild our Chapter" because they have this quality and that quality. This will take a lot more work then normal, but it would be so worth it.

In terms of crying at Pref- that is a hard one. I think it is so frustrating for a PNM to have to go to party they don't want to be at, but it is part of the process. I think in a situation like this you have to sell your Chapter and your Sisters - maybe even introduce them to women in the Chapter who went through the same thing- maybe it is incorporated into your preference ceremony some way. The bottom line is the Chapter needs to find a way to connect with these girls. If they can not then they probably wouldn't be good members any way and the Chapter just needs to walk.

I also think the Chapter needs some type of system that is set up once these women find there way into the Chapter as a new member. Their goal should be to hang onto these women and the PNM's first instinct is going to be to drop. I would try to put someone in charge of these women who is attractive, friendly and outgoing. If there is not a plan you have these folks dropping and that doesn't help a small Chapter either.

Good luck to this group. I hope they have good alumni support and support from Greek Life. I also hope the other Chapters on campus are helpful too.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM

I wanted to bump this in light of the recent discussions we've been having.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'd like to bump it too.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Think it's time for a bump of this one.

Some thoughts (from another thread): I've seen chapters who don't do well year after year with recruitment, but still tend to think that the RFM is going to "save' them and get them quota of NMs. Every year they are disappointed and sad when that doesn't happen.

What I think a lot of struggling chapters fail to see is that the RFM isn't a magic problem solver. It can help you invite more women, but it can't MAKE those women accept your invite. That's something only the CHAPTER can do.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

"As the recruitment progresses I think they need to be honest with the women they want. I don't think there is any thing wrong with telling these women that they do want them and that they would be "perfect helping us rebuild our Chapter" because they have this quality and that quality. This will take a lot more work then normal, but it would be so worth it."

This. If the PNM are upset because they got cut, they feel like they are not worth keeping. Having a sister explain to them why your group wants them will make the PNM feel good and that will make her feel good about your group. She will perceive that you are clearly a group of kind, thoughtful, perceptive women if you can see the good qualities in her.

You also need to make them feel like the sisterhood you're offering is worth having. I think they need to see interaction between the sisters, in addition to forming a connection with the sisters.

During the pref ceremony at my KD chapter, the actives not only preffed the PNMs, they included a couple of sisters who had accepted bids through spring informal the year before in the little preference ceremony that they did. Those sisters had already initiated but they'd never been through a pref ceremony. The explanation from the sister who rushed me at pref was that they wanted those women to know that they were chosen, too. I was really impressed by their thoughtfulness for their newest sisters. I knew that they would treat me well. (Looking back, I now know that must have happened for those sisters multiple times because there were multiple pref parties. They got preffed a bunch of times, not just once. LOL.)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM

I dunno about telling people you want them because they have potential to "help rebuild." It sounds like "we really need the numbers."

I do agree with your point about showing PNMs that what you're offering is worth having. Only remember that FR is not the only place for you to be doing that.

You need to do that BEFOR FR. It goes back to the fact that recruitment is not just one weekend in the fall. It's a year-round effort. When people start to see you during the YEAR doing things, they begin to change their perception of the chapter, and it carries over to FR.

You also have to continue to show these women that, even once they become NMs.

Lakers Nation.