GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,334
2 members and 1,332 guests
John

Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
It's a great investment to have. Just like any other business, the great majority of being successful with having them is based on location. But with vending machines, a lot of it is who you know, too. I mean, I wouldn't do business with anyone I didn't trust. To purchase one, the price all depends on what kind of machine you want, and what you want to sell. Combo? Cold beverages only? Used? New? Do you want to go through a distributor? That's what you have to decide. It's a lot of work, but I wouldn't call it a "hassle".

I started off with just one to help me get though school. I liked it and decided to purchase another one. I ended up with five total, and I lived off of those until graduation. Then, after graduation I sold those, because it was too much trouble to move them. So, I started over and bought new ones. I have 27 of them now.

Let's say you have like... and we'll use a round number. Like 20 machines, and all of them are in great locations (maybe a couple of them in slower locations). And let's say you sell water and pop for $1.00 each. And let's say on average each machine makes roughly about $20.00/day. Well, using just one machine as an example, that's roughly $140.00/week. $140.00 x 52 weeks/12 months, and you'll make just on that machine alone about $600.00/month. Now multiply that number times the 20 machines that you have. That's over $12,000/month. That's sales though, not profit. I think that's worth the work.
That's a lot of money, but once you factor in everything that you have to pay out, I can't see how it would be worth the work. Do you sell both food and drinks? How much do you sell your products for? If you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
*throwing my cane* (I almost spelled that with a "k". Scary.)
Lol. You threw your cane, Kappas drop theirs.

Quote:
LOL. Have you never seen older BGLO members talk about dumb stuff? I have seen old school members talk about things that made me think they were neos.
I have, but they do it in good taste, jokingly. Stealth Mode made it seem as though they were serious. I've seen some serious altercations when I was an undergrad. But that's undergrad. But as adults?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
That's a lot of money, but once you factor in everything that you have to pay out, I can't see how it would be worth the work. Do you sell both food and drinks? How much do you sell your products for? If you don't mind me asking?
Well, I'm not going to tell you how much I sell my products for, but I will tell you that I make a 60% return on a normal day. So, depending on how you decide to do it will determine what your return will be and how well you do financially. I just used $1.00/product as an example so you could see the math easier. You really could sell for significantly more than that, and people will still pay.

Nah, I don't sell snacks/food. I just sell pop, juices, vitamin water, and water. I don't sell snacks/food, because it's much more difficult to keep up with expiration dates.

If you decide to do it, you can PM me with any questions any time, and I'll be more than happy to help you.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm trying to look on the bright side- at least the blower motor for the furnace/AC went out on a weekend when it isn't 90 degrees, right?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have you ever read any dream interpreter books?
Definitely! Most of my dreams are just random but several have a lot of meaning. I just had one about a month ago that turned out to be HEAVILY based on some things that were happening in my life when, on the surface, you would have thought it was just another silly dream.

Quote:
LOL. Have you never seen older BGLO members talk about dumb stuff? I have seen old school members talk about things that made me think they were neos.
Pretty much. Phil, I was wondering if this is what they all sat around talking about in college and why they were still talking like that some years later. But the photo was taken down and I didn't get to see what the last straw was.

Quote:
I have, but they do it in good taste, jokingly. Stealth Mode made it seem as though they were serious. I've seen some serious altercations when I was an undergrad. But that's undergrad. But as adults?
Ha! You were really holding out hope that it wasn't as bad as it seemed, weren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
As long as you don't start talking about eating your kereal.
iLaughed

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like saying if you are moving into a dorm room or sorority house and the word "Uhaul" is in the same sentence, you should rethink how you prepared for this day.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
I feel like saying if you are moving into a dorm room or sorority house and the word "Uhaul" is in the same sentence, you should rethink how you prepared for this day.
And you'd better have a single room....
Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, but some people have REALLY small cars and/or aren't taking a car at all to college. Thus, they're dead-heading a Uhaul at their college destination...
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok let me get more specific. If your Uhaul is full (and I mean ANY size Uhaul...even the ones you tow)........
Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I saw a UHaul in Bloomington (a year ago today to be precise) pulled up to the dorm with all single rooms with a mattress (and a lot of other things) in the back. I thought "Wow, it's a good thing that girl is living in a single. She's got to be high maintenance bringing a mattress." Then a guy comes out of the dorm, and I realize it's a high maintenance guy.

Who brings a mattress to a dorm where it's provided? Where do you store the school's mattress??
Old 08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I saw a UHaul in Bloomington (a year ago today to be precise) pulled up to the dorm with all single rooms with a mattress (and a lot of other things) in the back. I thought "Wow, it's a good thing that girl is living in a single. She's got to be high maintenance bringing a mattress." Then a guy comes out of the dorm, and I realize it's a high maintenance guy.

Who brings a mattress to a dorm where it's provided? Where do you store the school's mattress??
I actually brought a mattress because of my allergies. I noted this before I moved in and the school put the mattress in the storage room where they keep the spare ones.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
I actually brought a mattress because of my allergies. I noted this before I moved in and the school put the mattress in the storage room where they keep the spare ones.
You had a medical reason, I am pretty sure from looking at the other things in the UHaul, this guy was Mr. High Maintenance: big stainless steel microwave, carpet, mattress, desk, recliner. (The rooms come with a desk, also.)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
You had a medical reason, I am pretty sure from looking at the other things in the UHaul, this guy was Mr. High Maintenance: big stainless steel microwave, carpet, mattress, desk, recliner. (The rooms come with a desk, also.)
That reminds me of the year I helped the freshmen move in and he had a quite large tube TV we carried up the stairs.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter advisor I work with swears her ongoing back problems were caused by her freshman year dorm mattress. Still, the current mattresses look like the most hypo-allergenic things around. They look like an extra thick gymnastics mat with the same blue "vinyl" covering.

That kid IndianaSigKap saw was either super high maintenance or he REALLY didn't do his homework on reading what was provided.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:48 PM

AT&T is evil.

Ever since U-Verse was installed in our neighborhood, we've been getting weekly mailings from them urging us to switch our service. When U-Verse was initially installed, a door-to-door salesman went around the neighborhood trying to sell people on the service. No thanks, we're perfectly content with our cable provider, plus our cable provider gives us faster internet than U-Verse can supply.

Yesterday, my husband and I had another couple over at our house for the afternoon. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. I got up to answer the door, and my husband jokingly said, "Don't let them sell you U-Verse!"

So I opened the door, and who was there?

"Hi, we're from AT&T, and we're going around the neighborhood asking folks about their TV service. We thought you might be interested in U-Verse..."

I politely but firmly told them that we were quite happy with our current provider. It took me a good ten minutes to get rid of them (because I decided not to be a bitch) but they eventually got the message and went away.

I closed the door, and the first words out of my mouth were "OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD." I went back to my husband and our guests only to find they were laughing their asses off.

My God. These U-Verse guys are worse than Jehovah's Witnesses.