GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,468
1 members and 1,467 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Auburn Recruitment 2011 - 17 jewels!

I thought I would attempt to document the experiences my daughter goes thru during her upcoming Recruitment (hard not to call is Rush!!) at Auburn University. I will be using 17 jewels and gemstones to represent the sororities at Auburn, in no particular sorority order or significance. I know some of these have meanings to different sororities, but they are random!

Amber
Amethyst
Aquamarine
Diamond
Emerald
Garnet
Jade
Lapis
Moonstone
Onyx
Opal
Pearl
Peridot
Ruby
Sapphire
Topaz
Turquoise

I will be vague on some of my details, but will post as much as I can via my daughter. My daughter, "A", is excited, but nervous at the same time. We will move her this weekend. She will have a informational meeting Sunday night, and then officially get started on Monday!

I've gotten a lot of good information from this site and hope that our experiences will help some others coming behind us. My #1 piece of advice to A has been to keep an open mind and options open. She knows a few girls in some of the different sororities, but also realizes just how competitive it will be.

"A" has two good friends also going thru Recruitment - I'll just call them B and C. I'll try to post some info on how their week is going as well.

This will be quite a journey, I'm sure. I'll update again soon!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to a, b, and c(and to you too, auburnmom85-it can be just as hard on us moms). hope they all find the perfect place for each of them!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got home from moving my daughter back to Auburn. She is a junior this year and I stayed a couple of days to help with pre-recruitment chores. For the three days between sorority move-in and pnm move-in, it feels like the entire town is full of only sorority girls! Guys are definitely outnumbered.

AuburnMom85, I was in your position two years ago. It is a really stressful week for everyone and the heat really doesn't help. The advice on GC is top notch: keep an open mind and stick with the process. My daughter has made such incredible, supportive friends that I can't imagine her being anywhere else.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Please keep us updated! I'm going to be a Freshman this fall at AU, and although I received a bid and pledged to a Fraternity, I will not really be going through rush in the fall, and I am very interested in to what goes on.

Best of luck to your daughter and to yourself, although I don't think there will be much of, if anything, to worry about. I am an oos student from far away that came to AU not knowing a single soul, but I contacted the greek life website for socials/parties that certain organizations had over the summer. Low and behold, I hit it off with quite a few fraternities, and I was very blessed and fortunate to receive four bids, two of which were from organizations that rarely took kids from outside the MS-AL-GA area.

The people involved in the AU greek system are so incredibly friendly and welcoming. They don't care where you're from or how much money your parents have, etc. They care about you, Ralph, or in this case, Regina the Rushee, and what kind of person you are.

God bless and War Eagle!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is down in Auburn now getting ready for Recruitment. This year she is not the PNM but a sister in a sorority she loves!! The best advice is tell your daughter is not pay attention to the tier rankings of the sororities. All of the soroities at Auburn are fabulous and go with what feels right and shewill find her sisters!! Best of Luck to All!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

The PNMs move in today, right? War Eagle to all of you as you get to know all the "jewels"...remember, all kinds of things can happen but keep your eyes on the prize!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

good luck to a b and c on finding their homes!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
How many PNMs for Auburn?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

As of July 30, there were 1311 girls signed up for recruitment. I don't know if they allow last minute registration or not.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Whew! What a day! We got A moved in today. It is so hot right now.... I hope all the girls stay hydrated. She packed an umbrella in her bag and plans on using it to help with the heat. Forecast in Auburn next week are mid 90's, but heat index of over 100. I just talked with her and she sounded so excited. She met with her Pi Chi group tonight and really liked everyone in her group a lot. She said there are 15 in her group. Her leader said that they will have probably three groups that will visit the houses together. Tomorrows schedule is a killer. They meet in the arena at about 8:30, then the assembly starts at 9:00. They will begin visiting the houses at 11:00 and will go strong until about 6:30 pm. She doesn't know which houses she will see tomorrow....she will find that out in the morning.

Here is the schedule for the week - I am copying this from the Auburn site:

Recruitment Schedule for Potential New Members
Dates are set, but times are still tentative for 2011 Recruitment!
Everything on the schedule is mandatory, except for those women involved in marching band, an athletic team, or other Auburn University activity.* Remember that you will meet with your Pi Chi group each night.* This is also mandatory.
Sunday, August 7*
6:00 pm*********** Optional Meeting
Monday, August 8
During this round, each potential new member (PNM) will visit each of our 17 chapters.* There are 18 party times, so each PNM group will sit out for one party time.*
9:00 am************** Potential Members’ convocation
Ice Water Teas Begin
Parties 1-5:** 11:00 am - 2:15 pm
BREAK small snacks provided to PNMs
Parties 6-11:** 2:35 pm - 6:30 pm
Pi Chi groups will meet that evening on their own
Tuesday, August 9
Parties 12-18:** 8:00 am- 12:35 pm
** after party 18, potential members will submit rankings with their recruitment groups
Pi Chi groups will meet later on their own
Wednesday, August 10
During this round, each PNM visits up to 12 chapters.* There are in 14 party times, so each PNM will sit out at least two party times.
Parties 1-5:** 8:30 am – 12:25 pm
BREAK
Parties 6-10:** 2:00 pm – 6:25 pm
Thursday, August 11
*Parties 11-14:** 8:00 am – 11:30 am
*** after party 14, potential members will submit rankings with their recruitment groups
Friday, August 12
During this round, each PNM visits up to 7 chapters.*
Parties 1-3:** 8:00 am - 11:35 am
BREAK
Parties 4-7:** 1:00 pm - 5:50 pm
** after party 7, potential members will submit rankings with their recruitment groups
Saturday, August 13
During this round, each PNM visits up to 3 chapters.* There are 4 party times, so each PNM sits out at least one party time.*
Parties 1-4:** 11:30 am - 5:30 pm
*** after her last party, each potential member will submit her rankings
Sunday, August 14
Bids will be distributed to all new members at 10am.** That location is still being determined.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam713 View Post
For the three days between sorority move-in and pnm move-in, it feels like the entire town is full of only sorority girls! Guys are definitely outnumbered.
Took me until my Junior year to figure this out! After I did, I came back to school early my Senior year and experienced "squeal day". Those great odds didn't do us much good though, because the actives were busy and the pnms weren't allowed to talk to us.

Good luck to a, b, and c.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

LOL at auburn dad. i remember all the guys driving up and down the three streets that the sorority houses are on at FSU, hootin' and hollerin' at the pnms during rush! they had the uncanny ability to know just when parties would be ending, so they would get the maximum bang for their gasoline dollar!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Daughter is settled in. Up early to get ready and off with her roommate to the Arena. Bag of necessary things in hand and hoping for cool weather. Skyped with two best friends last night after we left. One is still home and the other moved into Valdosta State yesterday to attend rush later this week. Hope to be able to post on both experiences.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to Gamomof2daughter(and her friends!)
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

2 parties down, 8 to go for the day.