GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,328
0 members and 2,328 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY

FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY RULES!!!!
Are you from FIU?

If so:
What chapter are you in?

Last edited by BabyFlower; 07-29-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

uhhh...
Old 07-30-2005, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
ummmm this is like the 3rd edit I've seen.

Why do you want to know who on GC is in what chapter if you don't even go there (yet)?

You're obviously going to one day be a PNM so do you want to get in good with the sorority girls or talk to them on here thinking it might help your chances?

STOP EDITTING. We're not stupid.

This is her post in another forum on GC.

BabyFlower

College Prep vs SAT confussion
I presented the SAT on June and I didn't pass for a couple of points...I plan to retake it on October.
But now I don't know what to do because I am planning to go to a University in Spring (as soon as I pass theSAT) and a Community College at the same time.
The Comunity college can accept me for this fall term but I would have to take College Prep Courses, which I consider is a waste of time and money, since I will pass the SAT and take regular clases on Spring, however I don't want to waste time either waiting for Spring term.

What should I do?
Do I wait until Spring to register for both institutions or I start College prep, even though I will retake and pass the SAT?

Please I need your advice
Thank you.

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...98#post1058898

editted because I don't think I got my thoughts out clearly.

KLTC

Last edited by PM_Mama00; 07-30-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

To answer the question you keep editing:

Go to community college for 2 years and get your AA. You can then transfer to any state college in Florida, guaranteed. If you go to FIU, know that the sorority system there is very accepting of new members from all classes (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, etc.). The campus is smaller and it's not a traditional "southern" rush (mainly because this is Miami.... not Mississippi!)

So no, if you're going to FIU a little later on, whether one semester or one or 2 years from now, it most likely won't affect your recruitment chances because you're "too far along in school." None of this guarantees a bid, of course, but my point is that upperclassmen at FIU can have just as competitive a recruitment as an FIU freshman.

Community college is not a waste of time at all. In the long term you will save more money by going to BCC or Miami-Dade for 2 years than you would at a 4 year school for all 4 years. The classes are smaller, too, than what you might get at FAU or FIU, or another Florida state college. You'll learn excellent time managment skills and get personal career counseling. If your SAT and HS grades are low, community college is a great place to make a fresh start-- instead of launching into a big 4-year school where you might not get as much individual attention. This will give you a chance to develop healthy study habits and prioritization-- very important habits to have if you are considering joing a sorority AND to have as a student or a working professional.

To prepare for recruitment and a 4 year college, you should work hard to get good grades at your community college and involved in student activities there. If you can, do some community service. While I don't believe recommendations are common at FIU, it wouldn't hurt to network with sorority women now and get recommmendations to the FIU sororities later.

For more information on sorority recruitment, check out the Rush Forum. You can also do a SEARCH to find out other previously discussed topics, or to search for members on GC who may be at FIU. Call the office of Greek Life at FIU to learn more about their sororities and recruitment.

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-30-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyPetite
Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
This is her post in another forum on GC.

BabyFlower

College Prep vs SAT confussion
I presented the SAT on June and I didn't pass for a couple of points...I plan to retake it on October.
But now I don't know what to do because I am planning to go to a University in Spring (as soon as I pass theSAT) and a Community College at the same time.
The Comunity college can accept me for this fall term but I would have to take College Prep Courses, which I consider is a waste of time and money, since I will pass the SAT and take regular clases on Spring, however I don't want to waste time either waiting for Spring term.

What should I do?
Do I wait until Spring to register for both institutions or I start College prep, even though I will retake and pass the SAT?

Please I need your advice
Thank you.

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...98#post1058898

editted because I don't think I got my thoughts out clearly. [/B]

if your SAT scores are so low that you have to take their college prep courses....then your main concern needs to be passing those courses or scoring high enough on the SAT's so that u DON'T have to enroll in those extra classes.....vs. wondering who on this site attends FIU. Greek Life @ FIU isn't going anywhere.....stop being so pressed.

Just my $19.20 cents....

~PrettyPetite
FIU '01 Graduate
Old 07-30-2005, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You can FAIL the SAT?!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

lol, damn...y'all are some assholes.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Is this the poster formerly known as The Best! She was in a similar situation. Anyways, I had a similar situation and I was required to take classes to catch me up to speed in Math and I have friends who didn't get a high enough score in English that they had to take English. This was a stipulation that we must complete it in the summer to be fully accepted in the fall. I would not consider it a waste of money, because if you want to go to a university you have to do the same as everyone else. There is no easy way out except to do what is required of you. You just do what is asked, if you consider this a waste of money, then you look like you consider college/school a waste too. You are going to have to take electives as a requirement...is that a waste too?
And oh gosh I hate to sound mean because I hate when certain people say things so rudely but there is no nicer way for me to say this, there just isn't, and I'm sorry about that.

P.S. You can NOT fail an SAT, you can only do below the required standard of the school you want to apply to.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 07-30-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BabyPiNK_FL

And oh gosh I hate to sound mean because I hate when certain people say things so rudely(won't name names but yeah...) but there is no nicer way for me to say this, there just isn't, and I'm sorry about that.

P.S. You can NOT fail an SAT, you can only do below the required standard of the school you want to apply to.
I duno if you're talking about me or what, but when someone edits their post 3 times when no one has responded, there's nothing else to be but rude.

I didn't read the first one, but I saw that it was editted.

Yesterday it said "Does anyone on here go to FIU? If so what chapters are you in?" (not those exact words)

Now it says "FIU Rules!... blah blah"

Being sneaky on GC doesn't work if you have to keep editting your post.

KLTC
Old 07-30-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I duno if you're talking about me or what, but when someone edits their post 3 times when no one has responded, there's nothing else to be but rude.

I didn't read the first one, but I saw that it was editted.

Yesterday it said "Does anyone on here go to FIU? If so what chapters are you in?" (not those exact words)

Now it says "FIU Rules!... blah blah"

Being sneaky on GC doesn't work if you have to keep editting your post.
is adding that really being sneaky? or is this another way for GC'ers to get on someone for something that really has no merit?
Old 07-30-2005, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
is adding that really being sneaky? or is this another way for GC'ers to get on someone for something that really has no merit?
You're one to say something to someone about 'getting on" someone.

And I'm not one of those GCers who gets on people for no reason. This was obvious enough that YOU even replied "umm".

KLTC
Old 07-30-2005, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
no honey i wasn't talking about anyone posting here. i guess that comment could be taken wrongly by anyone who thinks their post migh tbe offensive, so i'll change it. It only takes someone to THINK that someone is talking about them to get mad and I'd hate for that to happen when I wasn't referring to anyone in particular.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're one to say something to someone about 'getting on" someone.

And I'm not one of those GCers who gets on people for no reason. This was obvious enough that YOU even replied "umm".
i get on someone because the content of their post reeks of immense stupidity and blatant ignorance. not because they edit their posts.

i responsed "uhhh..." because i felt like it and FIU is a few miles from my house.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I responded with that cuz I felt like it too.

BabyPINK_FL-- wasn't meaning to be mean to you!

KLTC
Old 07-31-2005, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
You can FAIL the SAT?!
Yes, just like you can fail the LSAT.