GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,490
0 members and 1,490 guests
No Members online

Old 02-11-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Infraction

OK... so here's the deal... I know there are posters from my school here... so I will be a bit vague and discuss it with them personally later... BUT here's the thing we're doing an "structured informal" rush this week at my school which basically means.. we held an open house for ladies to meet all chapters... then each sorority holds its own parties and girls can come and go as they please (or get invited if chapters choose to do that). All other "recruitment rules" are out the window.. parties MUST be on campus, no rho chis....etc... EXCEPT bids must be held until Friday... here's the sticky part... one chapter can only take about 3 women I believe... another can take about 10, and the other about 15... so last night I overhear a XYZ sister say to a PNM "oh yeah, well we can only take 3 at most right now... but if you wait until fall we'll have a lot more open spots.... NOW is this an infraction ? or is it all fair in COB and war since "rules" are out the window ? BIDs are NOT supposed to be extended until Friday... so I'm just wondering where we would stand on that.... I mean how exactly do the Panhel. rules apply in this sitch ?? Ladies from my school... (you know who you are) if you want more info please PM me or I will talk to you later and fill you in a bit more.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:17 PM

Re: Infraction

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
OK... so here's the deal... I know there are posters from my school here... so I will be a bit vague and discuss it with them personally later... BUT here's the thing we're doing an "structured informal" rush this week at my school which basically means.. we held an open house for ladies to meet all chapters... then each sorority holds its own parties and girls can come and go as they please (or get invited if chapters choose to do that). All other "recruitment rules" are out the window.. parties MUST be on campus, no rho chis....etc... EXCEPT bids must be held until Friday... here's the sticky part... one chapter can only take about 3 women I believe... another can take about 10, and the other about 15... so last night I overhear a XYZ sister say to a PNM "oh yeah, well we can only take 3 at most right now... but if you wait until fall we'll have a lot more open spots.... NOW is this an infraction ? or is it all fair in COB and war since "rules" are out the window ? BIDs are NOT supposed to be extended until Friday... so I'm just wondering where we would stand on that.... I mean how exactly do the Panhel. rules apply in this sitch ?? Ladies from my school... (you know who you are) if you want more info please PM me or I will talk to you later and fill you in a bit more.

My take is that while the rules for COB are very different and a hell of a lot more lax, there are still some rules that apply, such as the promising of bids, dirty rushing, being rude to PNM's, etc. I dont know if that chapter has broken a speficic rule, but I would think it is stupid on that member's part to say that to a PNM. To me if I were the PNM I'd take that to mean "We know who we want this spring and it's not you." or "We like you, but not enough to offer you a bid this semester, sorry." That would turn me off as a PNM, but that's just me.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not an expert but to me that does not sound like an infraction. If those are the exact words that were used, there was no promise of a bid. The girl was just telling the PNM that in formal recruitment there would be more spots available, which is completely true.

Now, that PNM could have any type of idea about what was said to her.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM

Yep, all's fair. But I agree with Mary, if I were the PNM, I'd tell XYZ to jump in the lake. Let the silly girls cook their own goose.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
It's not an infraction, but that still does not make it appropriate. What happens to this poor PNM if she decides to wait until the fall and she still doesn't get a bid to this chapter? She'll feel pretty dumb having waited. If you see her on campus, or know people who know her, encourage her to look at all of the houses. That's not an infraction--that's "Being Panhellenic" if you catch my drift.
However, the sorority member may have just said this to the PNM so she wouldn't get her hopes up. One Fall, when my chapter did COB, we had 21 girls come to the requisite number of events...and we had only 5 bids to give! It was obvious to the PNMs that we had a lot of people at our parties, and we were honest when we said that although we'd like to, we couldn't take them all, and encouraged them to do Formal Rush when we'd have more open spots, and so they could get a look at the other chapters more closely as well. What do you know? That spring's pledge class included at least 5 girls who had tried to get bids from us in the Fall and didn't. It wasn't that we didn't want them, it was that we didn't have room for them at the time--and we were excited to finally be able to call them sisters!
I wouldn't worry about this situation unless girls are saying un-panhellenic things like, "Don't bother rushing in the Spring, none of the other sororities are worth it" and the like.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:46 AM
GreekChat Member

well... I was being slightly vague.. HOWEVER... I really believe, for reasons I won't go into now...that this comment was made with a "nod nod wink wink... we'd like to keep you in our pocket to ensure our numbers for fall... kind of a thing" honestly there has been a lot of "gray area" things going on this week... and I just don't understand it... usually my school doesn't have that much dirty rushing going on... but at the moment it seems to be running rampant.... == sigh ==
Old 02-12-2004, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

warning-emotional rant!

Glitter650 , This sends my blood pressure through the roof! I hate, hate, HATE dirty rush-if it is as you perceive it to be!

What is WRONG with these girls? Don't they see it for what it is-an incredible insult!!!
Why don't they just come out and say-Sweetie, you aren't good enough for us this round, but let's compare you to everyone next fall and maybe, MAYBE we'll toss you a bone! (Once again, IF this is dirty rush.)So, I certainly agree with ThetaPrincess24's feelings.

What can you do? Not a whole lot. It's up to your Greek Affairs to get those PNMs (Formal and COB) educated about the do's and don'ts of rush and more important-the WHY of it all.
I just wish there were stronger penalties for this kind of behavior, but I couldn't begin to know what would or would not be appropriate punishment.

If people would stop being so "correct" and just come out and SAY what it really means and how a PNM can end up with NOTHING, things might get better. Why does everything need to be sugar coated?

I'm a fighter, so if I was 100% certain it WAS dirty rush and NO RECOMPENSE existed, I'd probably turn it on them and imply the following-depending on how TICKED OFF I was... that they say that to all the girls they have no interest in and they just received the kiss of rush death for THAT sorority. The oldest trick in the world is to accidentaly allow a PNM to "overhear" conversations/observations about the offending group as you casually, quietly (ha!) converse at a nearby table or wait in line.
Panhellenic? Heck no, but it sounds to me like somebody deserves a bit of what they are dishing out! IF this is dirty rush!

Get thee to your Council and make your case to get things changed. Educate those PNMs so when they SEE it happening they will recognize it for what it is! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck- it probably IS a duck!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
JAM is 100% right - the key is education, education, education of those PNMs. It's my battle cry, too.

And, FWIW, this is one of the 'gray areas' I'll be covering in depth this April when our local APH does a Sorority 411 night for graduating senior women.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Infraction

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
here's the sticky part... one chapter can only take about 3 women I believe... another can take about 10, and the other about 15... so last night I overhear a XYZ sister say to a PNM "oh yeah, well we can only take 3 at most right now... but if you wait until fall we'll have a lot more open spots.... NOW is this an infraction ? or is it all fair in COB and war since "rules" are out the window ? BIDs are NOT supposed to be extended until Friday... so I'm just wondering where we would stand on that.... I mean how exactly do the Panhel. rules apply in this sitch ?? Ladies from my school... (you know who you are) if you want more info please PM me or I will talk to you later and fill you in a bit more.
At my school that would cause a complete uproar! I would report this and see what happens. In formal recruitment we all know that would be an immediate infraction, but it depends on your school and the rules for informal. I know that you said all rules are out the window...but there has to be some! I would check with your greek advisor!! Even if there is not a rule, that is so crappy because they are giving the woman possible false hopes!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: warning-emotional rant!

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Glitter650 , This sends my blood pressure through the roof! I hate, hate, HATE dirty rush-if it is as you perceive it to be!

What can you do? Not a whole lot. It's up to your Greek Affairs to get those PNMs (Formal and COB) educated about the do's and don'ts of rush and more important-the WHY of it all.

If people would stop being so "correct" and just come out and SAY what it really means and how a PNM can end up with NOTHING, things might get better. Why does everything need to be sugar coated?
CO-SIGN!!!! We're only hurting ourselves in the long run by not educating the PNMs on how recruitment/quota/bids/etc. works. Students know how a competitive college admission process works (submit app, essay, GPA...committee interviews you, discusses you, ranks you on a list, and you're either "in" (bid), "wait-listed" (2nd bid list), or "declined" (no bid). The student applying has the option of accepting or declining as well)....why can't we explain the recruitment process as well?

/rant

PsychTau
Old 02-12-2004, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a speech given at the beginning of the open house stating that no sorority should offer you a bid or promise a bid before Friday at noon... and explaining what a bid is and all of that good stuff and telling them they should check out as many of the parties going on this week as possible.... so... the PNMs should know what's up. I just don't really get it and it makes me sad becuase I'm friends with girls from other chpaters and everything and it really makes me sad that they would do this (as I said there's more that's happened this week besides this event) and it just seems like rush has brought out the horrible "cattienss" that sometimes makes people afraid to join a sorority in the first place. Thanks for the feed back on the situation......

OH yeah... just in case you were wondering... the girl who was told to "wait" for the other sorority is coming to our pref party tonight.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
While it's unfortunate that a sorority would tell a PNM that, and then that a PNM would think that's ok, what happened is not an infraction according to the rules. No bid was promised, either for this semester or next, and she'll have to go through the process regardless.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that

VIRTUE WILL TRIUMPH!

The problem is-it very well could be a few young ladies rather than the whole sorority that are acting this way. It makes EVERYbody look bad.