GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,927
4 members and 1,923 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeydae View Post
Thank you TriDeltaSallie! That is a very professional way of getting my point across!

And that is a very good point 33girl. I do want a leadership position, but also see where you are coming from. Is there a way for me to show that I am interested in leadership freshman year (without the position) that would open the door for a potential position later on?
Yes, but you should wait until you get a bid first

It's ok if you mention you hope to have a leadership role in the sorority you join, but I wouldn't go further than that until you're a member.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

as a new member,you will probably have the opportunity to work on a committee within the sorority. you could then pitch in a little above and beyond on the committee, if you see that the time commitment will work with your class and study schedule. a few weeks into your new member period, i would imagine that you will be learning how the chapter is run and who does what, so a lot of your questions will be answered then. you can always ask the officer in charge of educating new members, or your big sister, when you get one.

usually all offices and chairwomenships are filled before new members join, so it is probably a moot point, but sororities love to have girls join who want to hold leadership positions. don't forget that you might be able to hold a leadership position in a campus organization, or in student government, which the sorority will love-it shows off the sorority very well.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much Alumiyum, 33girl, Drolefille, and FSUZeta! You are absolutely right! While I do want to be involved in my chapter (if I get one), I don't want to be the girl that signed up to help with everything and couldn't handle it.
"Southern girls are God's gift to the entire male population. There is absolutely no woman finer than one raised below the Mason-Dixon line. And once you go Southern, may the good Lord help you, never go back." -Kenny Chesney
Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Bit of a swerve, but wouldn't you get the benefit of showing you're interested in leadership opportunities without the possible side effects of "OMG I WANT TO BE PRES. NXT YR!" if you simply express your interest at being extremely active on campus? Possibly get involved with student government? Ask how the sorority can help with that?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you so much Alumiyum, 33girl, Drolefille, and FSUZeta! You are absolutely right! While I do want to be involved in my chapter (if I get one), I don't want to be the girl that signed up to help with everything and couldn't handle it.
I definitely agree to everything that was said by others, but to add, there will certainly be opportunities to prove yourself both responsible and a leader during your NM period (if you do get a bid, of course). Some things that you may not even be thinking of are; completing and exceeding your study hours (as many chapters require you to attend or complete a certain amount of hours spent studying each week, both as a NM and an active), volunteering for things around the chapter house/chapter suite (ex: cleaning, decorating for upcoming COB parties that may happen in the spring), volunteering to be a part of a committee like others have said, applying for all-Greek leadership positions (ex: Greek Sing, Greek Week, especially positions that relate to your major), paying all of your dues on time, having an excellent attendance record, hanging out with your sisters as much as possible (how can you lead if you do not know the girls you are leading?), studying up on the history and policies of your sorority (not in an overbearing way, but to lead your sorority to success it could help to know where you came from), getting the best grades that you can so as to be an asset to your sorority.

Like with any group, you need to prove that you are responsible, upright, and truly care about the people you are leading in order to lead them. This is even true if you don't go Greek because college provides a myriad of experiences that have leadership opportunities. Be the best student you can be first, and lead by example in that, and then if you do receive a bid be the best sister you can be, and the rest will follow naturally. Best of luck with recruitment and make sure to stop back and let us know how it all goes!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is there a way for me to show that I am interested in leadership freshman year (without the position) that would open the door for a potential position later on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
there will certainly be opportunities to prove yourself both responsible and a leader during your NM period (if you do get a bid, of course). Some things that you may not even be thinking of are; completing and exceeding your study hours (as many chapters require you to attend or complete a certain amount of hours spent studying each week, both as a NM and an active), volunteering for things around the chapter house/chapter suite (ex: cleaning, decorating for upcoming COB parties that may happen in the spring), volunteering to be a part of a committee like others have said, applying for all-Greek leadership positions (ex: Greek Sing, Greek Week, especially positions that relate to your major), paying all of your dues on time, having an excellent attendance record, hanging out with your sisters as much as possible (how can you lead if you do not know the girls you are leading?), studying up on the history and policies of your sorority (not in an overbearing way, but to lead your sorority to success it could help to know where you came from), getting the best grades that you can so as to be an asset to your sorority
This is very good advice, because leaders do not always have positions...and those with positions are not always leaders. If you concentrate on the above, you will have a full sorority experience, even if your name never makes it to slate.