GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,240
1 members and 2,239 guests
navane

Old 01-20-2024, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

And her story was copied from an episode of Law and Order: SVU.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Recruitment at this time of year must be brutal! Someone tried to convince me to go to a winter festival this week…yeah, it wasn’t really happening. It’s one thing to ski or hike when it’s cold and you’re dressed for it, but to try to socialize or move between events and look nice when it’s really, really cold and snowing and slushy is just not a good time.
IU used to do first round of recruitment in October and all the rest the week before second semester classes started in January.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I remember that. That would be really frustrating, to have to wait that long to see who invited you back.

I feel like I’ve discussed this book here before, but maybe not? https://www.hup.harvard.edu/books/9780674088023

The sociologists who wrote the book didn’t come right out and say it was IU…but they mentioned that weird detail about their recruitment being split like that, so people were able to figure it out pretty quickly lol…

It’s an excellent book- more focused on how financial resources affect college outcomes but it does touch on Greek life and how it sets the social scene for a lot of people at schools like IU.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
You did...and thanks to you, I bought a copy. : )

Based on the description of the dorm they stayed in, I'm almost positive that it's McNutt, where I lived freshman and sophomore year at IU.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I do recall when Pledged came out people were speculating was school it was. I'm not sure but IU and SMU were the top contenders.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 01-21-2024, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
I do recall when Pledged came out people were speculating was school it was. I'm not sure but IU and SMU were the top contenders.
If memory serves, someone here on GreekChat read Pledged and thought it's unnamed school sounded like theirs, the University of Maryland.

That book always read like a mix of fiction and non-fiction, likely to keep people interested as it read like a written soap opera story.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Robbins definitely wrote about IU. She was at the Journalism School several different times a year or so before the book was published sitting in on classes, talking to students. She used the guise of her being a journalist, she wanted to see what the school had to offer and wanted to "mentor" female journalists. At least one of the women "featured" in the book was a journalism major she "interviewed" for an "internship". This information was relayed to me by a person who was teaching there in the j-school at the time Robbins was finishing up the book and the person put two and two together after the book was published.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting!

I was reading another book:

https://uncpress.org/book/9781469672...ts-of-friends/

And in this one, the author just randomly mentions that Pledged is about SMU- as if everyone knows this. I found that to be rather strange, as I’ve never heard anyone come out and say the school she went “undercover” at had been outed. But it’s in there, like it’s a proven fact…

Otherwise, it’s a pretty decent book.
Old 02-09-2024, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
Here are last year's recruitment statistics, if you're interested. (Note: These stats are or formal recruitment only. Several chapters participated in informal recruitment, but those numbers are not included here.)

How many weeks after Formal Recruitment will this year's stats be available?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
How many weeks after Formal Recruitment will this year's stats be available?
I recall it came out a month or so later. It'll certainly be posted in here when they do come out.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story