GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,759
1 members and 1,758 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 04-28-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Party Video = Trouble for Washington (St.Louis) Fraternity?

The student paper at Washington U (St. Louis) today published a story with pictures from a video allegedly showing drinking and "unacceptable" behavior at a fraternity party. The fraternity has apparently also been under investigation for possible hazing.
http://www.studlife.com/news/2004/04...i-673194.shtml

It looks like the St. Louis Post-Dispatch picked up the story too (Google News). I'm guessing that the story will get some media play, unfortunately for "Greek image."

Washington U. (St. Louis) is currently ranked by U.S. News & World Report in a tie with Dartmouth for 9th best national doctoral university in the country. (Yup, DeltAlum, I know ... for what little that's worth.)
Old 04-28-2004, 09:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
that's a shame.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Time for the lawyers, again

I don't understand how the Student Life Office can release pictures and videos at this point in this incident.

It doesn't appear that the chapter has officially been charged with anything, and the investigation is underway.

How can they seek publicity by releasing this stuff?

The common release from the typical campus is "We can't comment on this, since it involves confidential student data. Federal law prevents us from giving out any data."
Old 04-29-2004, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Time for the lawyers, again

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I don't understand how the Student Life Office can release pictures and videos at this point in this incident.

It doesn't appear that the chapter has officially been charged with anything, and the investigation is underway.

How can they seek publicity by releasing this stuff?

The common release from the typical campus is "We can't comment on this, since it involves confidential student data. Federal law prevents us from giving out any data."
Hoosier, I believe that "Student Life" is the title of the (independent) student newspaper at Washington U. It's not a university office. It appears to me that the paper got the pictures and videos in more or less the same way that newspapers, TV stations, and magazines all over the country sometimes get infomation -- somebody gave it to them. Just who their source was we may never know. (Think of news stories that include phrases like, "memos obtained by the Wall Street Journal," "a draft of the report was obtained by ABC news," "copies of the mayor's expense reports, which were obtained by _______, " and on and on. Some of it, yeah, comes from Freedom of Information requests and similar actions on the state or local level -- and usually the news media mentions that fact, but some of it comes from other sources. Leaks, y' know.)
Old 04-29-2004, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Re: Re: Time for the lawyers, again

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Hoosier, I believe that "Student Life" is the title of the (independent) student newspaper at Washington U. It's not a university office. It appears to me that the paper got the pictures and videos in more or less the same way that newspapers, TV stations, and magazines all over the country sometimes get infomation -- somebody gave it to them. Just who their source was we may never know. (Think of news stories that include phrases like, "memos obtained by the Wall Street Journal," "a draft of the report was obtained by ABC news," "copies of the mayor's expense reports, which were obtained by _______, " and on and on. Some of it, yeah, comes from Freedom of Information requests and similar actions on the state or local level -- and usually the news media mentions that fact, but some of it comes from other sources. Leaks, y' know.)
You are correct "Student Life" (or "Stud Life" as it's known on campus) is the (independent) student newspaper at Wash. U.
I'm a Wash. U. alum (although now a current grad student there as well) and I will say that Stud Life is VERY anti-greek (or, at least the majority of the staff on the paper usually is) so they live for things like this. I'm not surprised they got footage and that they allowed others to see it--they like portraying the greek image at Wash. U. poorly when they can. People who like being greek on campus are greek, those who don't not only don't join (of course) but either do one of 2 things: 1) deal with the fact that people enjoy Greek Life on campus or 2) bash the hell out of Greek Life because they don't like it. Stud Life picks the latter whenever possible.
*Getting off of my soapbox now*
Old 04-29-2004, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Update Thurs. 4/29

The Sigma Chi chapter is reported as saying it takes to5tal responsibility for the party, and will work to improve.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...ssing%22+party
Old 04-29-2004, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to Wash U and have a lot of friends in the Sigma Chi chapter.

2 pledges were sent to the hospital for injuries sustained while drinking, during hell week (I think one tripped and hurt himself, not sure about the other). The university was looking into the situation, but was keeping everything quiet until they decided what to do. If you look at backissues of StudLife, you can see the angry staff editorials written demanding that the school release the details of the investigation to them.

--cut to this week--

Photos and video clips from a Sig Chi brother's digital camera were intercepted by brothers of fraternity XY (not sure if I should name names, although its common knowledge on campus), when the brother's camera was stolen. I think he had left it unattended on the Sig Chi porch, but the other fraternity took it, looked at the pictures and then proceeded to send copies of photo and video files to StudLife, the Greek Life Office, and another fraternity. I think the other fraternity tried to persuade them not to send the files to the newspaper since it would only make things worse for greeklife in general, but they sent them anyway.

2 videos are accessible on StudLife's website. One is a brother dunking his head in ice water while people chanted (1..2..3.. etc) and then when he could no longer keep his head under, he chugged a beer. However, this was not hazing as it was a brother doing this of his own choice. In fact, I've seen them (and random other guys not in Sig Chi) do this before (at open parties) and at the time I just laughed it off I guess.

The second video is a bunch of pledges singing and dancing in the basement of the house, while some brothers threw beer cans at them. Yes, this is hazing, obviously. However, I feel like there are a lot worse things that can happen. Either way, if someone was going to report this to the authorities, stealing files off of someone else's camera and sending it to the campus newspaper is not the answer. It should have been taken to the Greek Life Advisors and handled privately. Also, it seems hypocritical for a chapter to turn in another chapter in such a way, when they are not that innocent either.

The situation is being looked into, and there is a chance that Sigma Chi's charter will be revoked, and/or they will be kicked off campus. I can keep you updated if you want.

Jen
Old 04-30-2004, 10:24 AM

Re: Party Video = Trouble for Washington (St.Louis) Fraternity?

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Washington U. (St. Louis) is currently ranked by U.S. News & World Report in a tie with Dartmouth for 9th best national doctoral university in the country. (Yup, DeltAlum, I know ... for what little that's worth.)
Ex,

Actually, I'd be a lot more likely to believe a survey by US News and World Report about academics than most.

The ones I take issue with are the Princeton Review things on Best Party School, etc.

US News brings at least some credibility as a journalistic organization.

But, in another way, you're right. Without knowing methodology, sample size and other stuff, how do you know how good a school is.

I've knows some people who went to Washington, and they speak very highly of it.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:02 PM
wreckingcrew

Ok, seriously.

Honestly, what's described as going on doesn't sound earth-shattering to me. In the articles they say "fraternity members and pledges" so if the brothers are paticipating willingly, then they're not hazing, they're just tools.

And for the love of god, if your org does do stupid stuff like this either don't document it or keep the photos/tape close to you. I realize i'll get flamed for that, but the way it seems today, 4 brothers drinking and doing stupid stuff together can get accused of hazing each other, even if it's all voluntary.

Kitso
KS 361
Old 04-30-2004, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

By the same token, if you have X% of your members in one place at the same time it's considered to be a fraternity-sanctioned event. When it's a philanthropy this helps...when it's a party that hasn't been approved by Greek Life, it's sanction time.

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 04-30-2004, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Update: Sigma Chi Suspends Chapter for 45 Days

Sigma Chi has suspended the Washington U (St. Louis) chapter for 45 days to allow time for the fraternity and the university to do investigations, according to an article in the April 30 student paper:

http://www.studlife.com/

AND according to a short news release posted on the Sigma Chi HQ web site:

http://www.sigmachi.org/article.phtml?iItemID=4348

Last edited by exlurker; 04-30-2004 at 04:04 PM.