GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,330
1 members and 1,329 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Swtmartini Send a message via Yahoo to Swtmartini
More info needed on starting a sorority

Hey everyone, I'm new to Greekchat.com and would like to know more info on starting a sorority. I know very basic info and would like to know more about it. I spoke with student life at my school and they gave me the registration kit to start an organization. Unlike other university, Baruch college is a commuter school and the majority of people there don't know much about sororities. Even the receptionist and some office assistant at Student life don't know what it is! I know that there are only 3 sororities at my school. Two of them are asian sororities but i am working on establishing a multi-cultural sorority. I have a outline of the goals and mission of the sorority. I know that i have to come up with the letters of the sorority, colors, philatrohy, symbols and pledge ourselves through. I also have the basis format on writing the constitution that governs the sorority. I would really appreciate it if any one can provide me with more info as what has to be done to establish my sorority. THanks so much!!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
I have recently joined an interest group for a multicultural sorority on my campus. I believe maybe you should think about establishing a chapter of an existing MCGLO before starting one of your own. Two I know of are Mu Sigma Upsilon(the MCGLO I'm going to pledge next year), and Theta Nu Xi. Both sororites embrace women of all nationalities and races. You might want to look into these because both are upstanding organizations and are looking to expand because they are fairly new. I'm just suggesting these two because it is difficult to establish a brand new sorority. But if you decide to establish a sorority of your own, good luck. You just might be better off creating your own home.

*Bye*
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

It's great to hear of the possibility of more Greek life on CUNY campus. I am in AEPhi at Brooklyn College. From what I have seen on my campus and some other CUNY's campuses is that the school generally treats GLO's like other clubs and let's you do your own thing unless a problem arises. My campus has a Greek Advisor (not his only job though) but I don't if other campuses do. Generally at CUNY's the hard part of starting/maintaining a glo is not the beauracracy but finding potential members.

If you're looking to form a local organization I think your best bet is to put signs around campus saying what you want to do and if you get a response together you can really shape the group in terms of letters, ritual, symbols, bylaws etc.

If you're looking to form a chapter of a national organization let that organization help you. I am sure they will give you tons of advice often from someone who has been through it before.

Best of luck!!

Last edited by AEPhiSierra; 09-15-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Swtmartini Send a message via Yahoo to Swtmartini
Hey AEPhisierra,
Thank you so much for giving me more info in starting a local sorority at Baruch. I definetly want to contribute more to Greek life in the CUNY system. I already made fliers to post around campus to recruit interested girls in starting a multi-culltural sorority. Baruch requires a min of 10 girls in order for a club to be recognized. Luckily one of the girls that is working with me to establish the sorority knows the dean of student life and the president of student government which makes the registration and funding for the sorority a little more easy. My goal right now is to recruit girls that strongly believes in a sorority that is base on a diverse group of girls and sisterhood that would tie us together well beyond our college years. Please feel free to give me any info or feedback or tips on anything that a sorority will need to know. Thanks!
Old 09-15-2004, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I know there a quite a few members on here of national multi cultural GLOs. They may be able to throw in their two cents on what different orgs offer. However if you want to create your own local, check out the local forum. There is quite a bit of info there. Even doing a search for "symbols" on here may help you.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Swtmartini, have you thought about just starting a chapter of another multicultural sorority? I think you should SERIOUSLY think about it before starting another one. There are also a few members of Zeta sigma Chi Multicultural sorority here on greekchat. I'm sure they would talk to you about things.

I think you should check out this thread before starting forming your own sorority. Starting a sorority is not easy AT ALL...
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=52313
Old 09-15-2004, 06:35 PM

i'll second brownsugar952 's post.

also, check if you administration is open to having locals on campus. due to mostly insurance reasons and lack of accountability for the future, campuses are starting to shy away from having locals.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Re: More info needed on starting a sorority

You may want to check this out

http://www.nationalmgc.org./

From the website
NMGC (National Multicultural Greek Council) is the umbrella council for Multicultural Greek Letter Organizations.

NMGC is comprised of 11 member organizations who meet annually to discuss the development and implementation of the council's mission. Please explore the site to learn more about our coalition and member organizations.

http://www.nalfo.org/
There are some multi-cultural orgs listed on the NALFO website though it is mainly Latino/Hispanic orgs.

I hope this helps you.
NP.

Quote:
Originally posted by Swtmartini
Hey everyone, I'm new to Greekchat.com and would like to know more info on starting a sorority. I know very basic info and would like to know more about it. I spoke with student life at my school and they gave me the registration kit to start an organization. Unlike other university, Baruch college is a commuter school and the majority of people there don't know much about sororities. Even the receptionist and some office assistant at Student life don't know what it is! I know that there are only 3 sororities at my school. Two of them are asian sororities but i am working on establishing a multi-cultural sorority. I have a outline of the goals and mission of the sorority. I know that i have to come up with the letters of the sorority, colors, philatrohy, symbols and pledge ourselves through. I also have the basis format on writing the constitution that governs the sorority. I would really appreciate it if any one can provide me with more info as what has to be done to establish my sorority. THanks so much!!

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 09-15-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Xi Phi is another national multicultural sorority to look into. I believe they have about 20 chapters nationally, including here at Alabama and also at Mississippi State.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone mentioned something about a national sorority. I don't want to sound stupid, but doesn't the school have to approach a national to present to the campus and then the campus votes? Or is that just for expansion?

Sorry for the mini hijack.

I would have to agree with what people are saying, I would considering starting up a chapter to an already existent MCGLO. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-15-2004, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASUADPi
Someone mentioned something about a national sorority. I don't want to sound stupid, but doesn't the school have to approach a national to present to the campus and then the campus votes? Or is that just for expansion?

Sorry for the mini hijack.
Actually for non-panhel sororities, the rules are different. For most schools, people don't have to get permission to start a chapter of a multicultural sorority. Most of the time the people form a interest group and then they will get permission to be on one councils later.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

While starting a Local back before most of you were born, it was with the idea of affilating with a National Fraternity.

I was turned down by so many, it would make your head spin as few were expanding back then.

I was lucky, we affiliated within 1 school year. There were The NIC, PHC and NHPC not any of the other culture shoots off. This was in the days of Black and White.

Since then, times have changed and all are excepting all races.

But, there seems to be a need to expand to the Latino and Multi Culture Greek Organizations of which nothing is wrong with that.

It was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life.

You will work your ass off, get ulcers and have a good time!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-17-2004, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
i'll second brownsugar952 's post.

also, check if you administration is open to having locals on campus. due to mostly insurance reasons and lack of accountability for the future, campuses are starting to shy away from having locals.
locals are pretty prevalent on cuny campuses including. I know there are locals at Brooklyn, City Tech and College of Staten Island and there might be locals at City College, Hunter (not sure if the chapter I am thinking of is recognized by the school) and Baruch.

The CUNY's just don't really have many rules regarding this. Greek life shut down in the early/mid 70's and chapters didn't really start coming back in the late 80 on some campuses but much later on others. Greek Life never really caught on with the same popularity as it had in its first incarnation (they were really big on some campuses). Since the demands of Greek Life on campus and size of chapters was never too great since then many of the campuses' administrations never focused too hard on implementing any real rules or standards.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the biggest concern with starting a local would be alumnae support. A big part of why I pledged was to be involved for the rest of my life with Phi Mu and to have sisters everywhere. When you start your own, you miss out on the history that is so important to many people involved in GLO's. I would hate to work so hard to establish a local and have it fold not long after I graduate because of lack of support. Even locals that have been around for a while have the interest of alumnae in keeping the sisterhood going. Just a thought...