GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,390
0 members and 2,390 guests
No Members online

Old 06-07-2000, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that we should reach out to inactive Sorors sometimes people move and their sorority is not a top issue in their lives they might have a job, family, husband and other things to worry about and just kind of let the time go buy and all they need is an invitation for an event your chapter is hosting.....I am a big supporter of reactivation and I say this because as new Sorors come in the need to learn from the one's that have been in the organization for many years so that they can learn from them. We should reach out to active and inactive members....also I am very surprise that the percentage is so high,
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-07-2000, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Good topic!

I read that same fact about a year ago (can't remember where?) and I was also amazed that the number was so high. From talking with people in all of the organizations, I do believe that number is correct (or not far off).

I believe that we should do all we can to reclaim our inactive members. I am sure that a lot of people become inactive/unfinancial right after graduation simply because of finances. It is hard to become financial in a graduate/alumni chapter when you are just starting a new career and striking out on your own.

In my opinion, I believe there is a difference between being inactive and being unfinancial. You can be active with your org. and not pay dues. I believe that sometimes that is what people have to do. Certain things requuire dollars come before our orgs, like Family, Rent, etc. I am active and financial but you better believe that I had the bills paid before Zeta got any money! Also, you can also pay dues and not do anything! I'm sure there are people out there who pay dues and don't lift a finger!

I believe that one of the best ways to bring these members back into the fold is to include them in activities and keep them informed. Each one of our orgs should develop a plan to reclaim members (if they haven't already!)

ZetaAce
Old 06-07-2000, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

yes we need to focus on reactivation of sorors. I'm not susprised so many are inactive its expensive and time consuming and some feel they have their letters so they are not as concerned with WORKING for the sorority, but will always WEAR some nalia. A simple invite or stroll down memory lane is enough to spark most greeks to try to get back active, there are always legitimate reasons to be inactive for a time but it should always be on one's heart to go after getting active ASAP so that they can continue to support the sorority or frat and fullfill their vows, we find time for the things we want to do, we all found time and money for our respective greek organizations when it was important to us to gain membership. well Membership is for Life.
Old 06-07-2000, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

As a person that has gone inactive while STILL in school. I think that the reasons why these people have gone inactive should be taken into consideration. I went inactive in my professional organization because I lacked anything in common--besides music--with the members. They were upset that I pledged a social, understandably I suppose, and that caused tension. As for me being an alum, there are no alum chapters around me, so I am not active. As for CREATING a chapter around me, really I figure I don't have the time. . .sorry to say. But I have a full time job, a home, a relationship. I wish I could do it, but it is some serious work, and I really just don't have the time. Before you start trying to reactivate members, make sure you know the reasons why they are inactive first. It might save both of you some time and hassle. Oh, and don't take things personally if they don't want to become active. It's not that they don't love their sorority, but they might just be happy sending in donations and reading a newsletter every once in a while. Life is different when you are out of college, and some people payed their dues and want to just participate from afar. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2000, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
mgdzkm433-Agreed! There are some people out there that unfortunately won't be active ever again. Like PositivelyAKA said, they feel like since they got their letters they don't need to do anything else. Those usually aren't very productive members anyway, so I say: hey, no big loss. (A lot of them are the first to put their org on their resume, or have tons of nalia on themselves/on their cars/in their homes, but that's another topic.)

I think we should be working hard to reclaim members who really want to be active again but are having problems for whatever reason or just don't know the necessary steps to jump back in. Also, some might not be ready to be active again this year, but maybe a year or two down the road they will be ready again.

ZetaAce

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-07-2000, 02:52 PM

Thumbs up

One of my pledge sisters, for lack of a better term, got a little “squirrelly” and went basically inactive our last semester. It was one of those situation where you try hard to be sympathetic, but the person just keeps pissing you off. I think a lot of it was due to the guy she was seeing.

She’s now living down south somewhere and from what I understand is very active in her local alum chapter. I’m happy that she is, because she was always a dedicated sister – things just got a little too intense.

Zeta Ace is right – you need to leave that door open if they want to come back and participate. That is one of the nice things about being an alum, you know people are there because they WANT to be not because they HAVE to be.
Old 06-07-2000, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Some great thoughts! I agree with mgdzkm433 that it is important to learn the reasons "why" an alumna may be inactive, that helps us decide whether there's a chance they'll be involved again or whether we are spinning our wheels trying to figure out what will work with them! That said, it seems like often all it takes is one sister reaching out to an inactive one to bring them to an event or get them excited about being involved again. This is something each of us can do - reach out to a sister who's new to the area and try to get to know her. The web and e-mail have made this much easier for me!

And, at least for our organization, it's ok to have some members who are only active financially at the alumnae level - we need those dollars - and financial support helps us keep those sisters informed with newsletters and other mailings!

Just a few more cents worth - somewhere I heard that 1/3 of any organizations members will actively be involved, 1/3 will be involved if you push/ask and 1/3 will not be actively involved on any regular basis... probably especially true once you get out of school!

[This message has been edited by BFulton (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-07-2000, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Wonderful topic!

I have a few opinions being that I am trying to re-activate. I agree with what has been said so far, my personal financial obligations must be taken care of before I give Delta her money. I think the key to getting a Soror to come back to the fold is staying in contact with her. I'm not saying bug the crap out of her , just give her a call to say when and where the next chapter is meeting or when and where the chapter's next service event is or even when the next time the Sorors are hanging out is, simple things like that. Let her know that she has not been forgotten about, that she is just as welcome as she was when she first became a member.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-07-2000, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

That number does not surprise me. I'm not sure what to do about it though.

I guess I can start with myself, I am financially active but not a member of the local graduate chapter. I was a member up until a year ago. My reasons are family responsibilities have my 'plate' completely full.

After the summer break, I'm thinking of participating in the local chapter again. If I do, I would recommend increased visibility in the community to attract inactive members. When I think back to my undergrad days before I became a member, my undergraduate chapter was always in the limelight doing something positive. That increased my desire to become a part of the organization.

-------------
Alpha Kappa Alpha

[This message has been edited by Taykimson (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-08-2000, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Post Reclaiming inactives...can we do it? Should we do it? How?

Getting back to a REAL greek lettered organization topic:

I ran across an article on the web that said that in BGLOs, inactives account for an astounding 75 percent of each organization's total membership. Is that true? Even if the number is lower, should we be doing more to reclaim and reactivate our members who decide not to be active/financial after graduation? I would love to hear some suggestions.

DG

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited June 07, 2000).]
Old 06-10-2000, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

There are four inactive Sorors at the school where I teach. I just simply drop a few lines of encouragement and give support when they are kind enough to divulge their reasons for inactivity. I agree that the more we are seen in the community, the more apt are inactives to rejoin the fold. My brain does not operate unless I have it full, sometimes overflowing because I thrive on pressure. However, some do not wish to operate under those circumstances and I am not mad of them for making that choice. I just do what I have been called to do and when God shows me a way, I go for it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Taykimson:
That number does not surprise me. I'm not sure what to do about it though.

I guess I can start with myself, I am financially active but not a member of the local graduate chapter. I was a member up until a year ago. My reasons are family responsibilities have my 'plate' completely full.

After the summer break, I'm thinking of participating in the local chapter again. If I do, I would recommend increased visibility in the community to attract inactive members. When I think back to my undergrad days before I became a member, my undergraduate chapter was always in the limelight doing something positive. That increased my desire to become a part of the organization.

-------------
Alpha Kappa Alpha

[This message has been edited by Taykimson (edited June 07, 2000).]