GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,635
2 members and 1,633 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2000, 11:26 AM
TIshaC.

Post Black chicks who want to be white.

I'm a senior in highschool I consider to be culurally mixed there's a girl named LeAndra I've noticed from around the way who happens to be a Hi and bye friend of my friend's associate etc. Well the problem is she rolls with a majority of white people and acts in characteristics that I think are "stereotypically" white, it just annoys me that she doesn't seems to take pride in her own culture and I don't think she was influenced by her surroundings because the are of South Florida we live in is pretty diverse. Some may say I have a personal problem but I've actually had a conversation with this girl and I found her conversation very offensive. Does anyone else find black girls who act white offensive. I'm not saying to kick in the ebonics and slang, just keep it real.
Old 06-06-2000, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Angry

What makes you think she wants to be white? Because she likes to hang out with her white friends? Why can't she just have friends who are white? What's wrong with that? Maybe they are her true friends and she is tired of people like you putting her down! Just because you talked to her once, doesn't mean you have any idea about her life/experiences/influences. Maybe YOU should try being here friend instead of coming to a board and making judgements about her.
Old 06-07-2000, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

TishaC, I don't understand why you are so concerned with how many white friends she has. I am biracial. My mother is white and my father is black. I choose to hang out with people who have things of interest with me. If you continue to concern yourself with the color of others and how they presents themselves "black or white" then the racial barrier and hump that exists will never be replaced with something positive. You are only in high school right now, and let me tell you something, there are far more important things to worry about waiting on the other side of the graduation door. SO, open up your mind, and if this girl annoys you so much, then tell her about it instead of everyone on the forum.
Old 06-07-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Is there really the need to jump all over TishaC. for asking a question, the responses seemed a bit harsh. Remember TishaC. is in highschool, so lets not scold her for having an opinion, she is young and she came to us for our views, lets not attack this young lady. Tisha i don't see the problem with her hanging with certain types of people if that is where she feels most comfortable. If she is in denial of her own self God will bring that to light in his own good timing. We are all so different as blacks therefore we can not expect all of us (blacks) to want or like, or act the same. Perhaps in the future you could leave out specific names, i'm sure you wouldn't want someone posting your name on the net.
Old 06-07-2000, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

This reminds me of something funny. I was watching a video in Linguistics class about Black English and they interviewed a black man in Philadelphia about his two sons. He said they "talked white" and that he didn't want two white boys because other black people would think he was a bad father. To equate the way someone talks (or acts) with being black or white, and criticizing someone for what you foolishly perceive as acting a certain way–*rolling with the white crowd–*is the reason there are hard feelings between the black and white crowds.

Why don't you stop thinking about your friend's reasons for what you call acting white, and worry instead about why you have a problem with it? This person can be whatever she wants, so don't imply that she's somehow a sellout for rolling with the white crowd. It seems that you somehow want her to feel guilty for doing it. Why?

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla

[This message has been edited by awatters (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old 06-07-2000, 12:52 AM
hilton

Lightbulb

What would a black person "talking white" mean? Do you mean the manner in which a black person & role model, such as Oprah Winfrey, speaks?

If so, I think Oprah comes across as very intelligent and well-spoken.

As for this girl bothering you, guess what? There will like be other people in your life will probably bother you, too. You need to move on with your life and not worry about others.
Old 06-06-2000, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

my response is to Tisha C...........you said that the girl talks white? how do you talk white? how would you like her to talk? we as black people need to stop with that foolishness. if some one is articulate and speaks well then we say that they are acting white. when you make statements like that you are indirectly implying that we (black people) can not express ourselves in an appropriate manner. why does she have to break up verbs and put the word "at" at the end of every sentence to signify that she is black and who are you to question her "blackness"
Old 06-06-2000, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so sick of all of these white/black race questions. I don't see color unless someone throws it in my face. I stopped posting on this website because this seems to be all anyone talks about. This is not what this website is for--we are all human and everyone who posts here (for the most part) is in a fraternity/sorority so lets talk about that instead of what color everyone is.
Old 06-07-2000, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Come on yall.You guys know what she means when she says talking white. Don't sit on your asses and start to act like you have no idea what she is talking about Or that you haven't said the same thing about somebody once in your life. She asked a question and only one or two people answered her. Damn give her a break, she is in high school..... And Tisha I know what you are talking about. Maybe she just grew up in a family that speaks well. You know that when we black folks start speaking with ebonics and shit we are talking black.But, when we start to speak with some sense we are all of a sudden talking white. It goes wayyy back to slavery days so i"m not going to get into all that but, Thats just my view of it. Bye!!
Old 06-07-2000, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

So talking white means sounding educated? Isn't sounding intelligent a good thing? It seems that the problem is that some black people are made to feel guilty for having the education and intelligence that many other black people lack. To a lesser extent the same thing happens with white people who feel bad for rednecks, but I've never tried to sound uneducated just because the people around me were. It's all psychological.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 06-08-2000, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

many blacks are able to speak intelligently, some just choose to speak slang, etc. because they feel like it, we can switch it up like that don't be decieved.
Old 06-08-2000, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly, we have it like that. It is only a black woman who can talk ebonics on the street with her girls at night and run a business room in the moring with more articulation than any white person could have

Quote:
Originally posted by PositivelyAKA:
many blacks are able to speak intelligently, some just choose to speak slang, etc. because they feel like it, we can switch it up like that don't be decieved.
Old 06-11-2000, 11:45 PM
greek

BLUTHEATRICS SAID "It is only a black woman who can talk ebonics on the street with her girls at night and run a business room in the moring with more articulation than any white person could have"

SO, WHERE IS YOUR JUSTIFICATION FOR THAT? THAT IS A RACIST STATEMENT IF I'VE EVER HEARD ONE. WHY DO YOU FEEL THAT YOU HAVE TO PUT AN EDUCATED WHITE WOMAN DOWN? DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER AS A PERSON? WHY CAN'T WHITE PEOPLE BE AS ARTICULATE AS BLACKS? DON'T MAKE BLANKET STATEMENTS THAT YOU'VE PULLED OUT OF NOWHERE. PLEASE TELL ME YOUR JUSTIFICATION AND RESEARCH AS TO YOUR STATEMENT.
Closed Thread