GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 971
1 members and 970 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2021, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Alabama sorority rush to be both in-person, virtual this fall

https://www.al.com/news/anniston-gad...outputType=amp

Quote:
Fall recruitment is scheduled for August 7-15, with bid day being held on the final day. According to the UA Panhellenic Association, dates are subject to change due to COVID-19.

The first recruitment round will be virtual for each potential new member, and the rest are in person. Any potential new member who feels uncomfortable attending in person or is in quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19 may choose to participate virtually for all rounds, according to the association’s Instagram.
Bids will be distributed via email this year as they were in fall 2020, and students who receive a bid will have an opportunity to visit their respective chapter houses.

The UA Panhellenic Association is asking once more that families not attend Bid Day activities, according to their website. No guests or alumnae will be allowed in sorority facilities.
Interesting that they're still planning to host a hybrid recruitment. Does anyone think that parts of virtual recruitment could last long after COVID is gone? Perhaps the virtual portion isn't even replacing rounds but somehow is included in addition to the traditional recruitment process to allow more interaction between sorority members and PNMs prior to decision making?

Just a thought.

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

I would be afraid to take a member who wanted to do an all-virtual rush. Would she even show up for any events or meetings?
Old 06-06-2021, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I would be afraid to take a member who wanted to do an all-virtual rush. Would she even show up for any events or meetings?
Good question. But then again, she might have a good reason for doing so (e.g. if immunocompromised and taking extra precautions in the short term). It would likely still make for a tough recruitment, though, when going up against others who are there in person.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-06-2021, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Does anyone think that parts of virtual recruitment could last long after COVID is gone? Perhaps the virtual portion isn't even replacing rounds but somehow is included in addition to the traditional recruitment process to allow more interaction between sorority members and PNMs prior to decision making?

Just a thought.
Yes, I think some portion may stay. I think a lot of schools with larger and longer (4 round) recruitments really liked having the first day be virtual. Chapters like the simplicity of not having to host so many in person parties with so many PNMs coming through quickly and PNMs were less intimidated to start recruitment this way. It will be interesting to see what stays. Of course, without a pandemic we never would have tried anything like this!!
Old 06-06-2021, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well, we all know that most chapters at big schools have to make massive cuts ahead of time anyway.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Florida State will be virtual Round 1 (2 days) and in person after that, with extra days in the middle rounds to reduce crowding. Prefs will still be 1 day, in person.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Bama has registered 1000 PNMs so far v
Old 06-08-2021, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn is doing the same thing.

Yes, I believe this may be a permanent change. Compare: virtual screening of videos with your team, to be done in air conditioning, dressed however, munching and drinking whenever you like, and hanging out with a few frends......compared to two exhausting days of repetitive small talk with 2200 candidates, while dressed up with full make-up and hair, during days of 98 degree heat and 99% humidity outside with the 75% chance of pop-up thunderstorms.
This is a win-win for both sisters and PNMs.
I understand that PNMs may feel short-changed because they didn't get an in-person visit, but the most popular groups are going to have to release 80% or so anyway the first round.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, we all know that most chapters at big schools have to make massive cuts ahead of time anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
This is a win-win for both sisters and PNMs.
I understand that PNMs may feel short-changed because they didn't get an in-person visit, but the most popular groups are going to have to release 80% or so anyway the first round.
If virtual stays the norm, especially first round, how is it decided which chapters are "most popular" and therefore those which must release the largest percentage of candidates?

PNMs aren't doing their choosing on where to go second round based on an in-person level of acquaintance, so that level of 'popularity' measurement has changed.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 06-09-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Nebraska will also be virtual for the first round of primary recruitment. This is similar to back in the dark ages at Nebraska (stopped some time in the 2000s I believe) when the PNMs did not visit each house first round but rather saw short presentations from each chapter in the Union. Invites for the second round were issued to the PNMs the morning after presentations. This meant PNMs did not see the inside of each physical house and did not have conversations with each chapter as there were fewer parties than chapters in the second round. I thought it cut down on tier chatter and helped women focus on where they were invited to.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
If virtual stays the norm, especially first round, how is it decided which chapters are "most popular" and therefore those which must release the largest percentage of candidates?
PNMs aren't doing their choosing on where to go second round based on an in-person level of acquaintance, so that level of 'popularity' measurement has changed.
PNMs do still rank on first round.
Release rates are determined by historic return rates. That part is no different. No actual data here, but I'd bet the so-called "highly esteemed" get that from word of mouth, not necessarily an in-person visit.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
I thought it cut down on tier chatter and helped women focus on where they were invited to.
On the other hand, "tier chatter" and a look at a carefuly constructed and sanitized video is all you have to use when ranking.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
https://www.al.com/news/anniston-gad...outputType=amp
Interesting that they're still planning to host a hybrid recruitment.

Does anyone think that parts of virtual recruitment could last long after COVID is gone?

Perhaps the virtual portion isn't even replacing rounds but somehow is included in addition to the traditional recruitment process to allow more interaction between sorority members and PNMs prior to decision making?

Just a thought.
Ironically, NPC Chair Carole Jones just released her final online post as chair. It is entitled "A Reflection On Increasing Access And Equity In The Sorority Experience".

The post explains the NPC Board of Directors has commissioned five recruitment reform projects for the next year, including recommendations for "a new best practice that encourages a virtual first round whenever possible."

[If someone with better computer skills than I will please link the Carole Jones item into this thread, I'd be grateful!]

Is memory serving correctly that one or two GreekChat members served NPC on its Access Equity Advisory Committee [or AEAC] and if so, might they please chime-in with their thoughts.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

She is merely virtue-signaling if she think that virtual first rounds will cause greater inclusion.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Ironically, NPC Chair Carole Jones just released her final online post as chair. It is entitled "A Reflection On Increasing Access And Equity In The Sorority Experience".

The post explains the NPC Board of Directors has commissioned five recruitment reform projects for the next year, including recommendations for "a new best practice that encourages a virtual first round whenever possible."

[If someone with better computer skills than I will please link the Carole Jones item into this thread, I'd be grateful!]

Is memory serving correctly that one or two GreekChat members served NPC on its Access Equity Advisory Committee [or AEAC] and if so, might they please chime-in with their thoughts.
Quote:
She is merely virtue-signaling if she think that virtual first rounds will cause greater inclusion.
I don't think Carole Jones is virtue-signaling. She is explaining the year-long work done by the NPC's AEAC, whose work is now being reviewed by the NPC Board of Directors.

[again, if someone would please link Carole's 6/8/21 post here as I cannot....]

She does mention that moving the first round into a virtual round decreases chapter and panhellenic costs in the areas of meeting/recruitment space rental, transportation and matching recruitment attire fees, as well as recruitment decor costs.

The focus of recruitment ought to continue to trend toward meaningful conversations between PNMs and members, not on what type of impressive car picked up Susie Rushee for open house party or which expensive hotel the Rho House used for first round party versus the Red Roof Inn Meeting Room used by the Psi House.

Perhaps I might infer the NPC Board's ideas of Access and Equity to include increasing Access and Equity between all NPC recruiting groups. That, to me, makes sense of the NPC Board's thought to continue decreasing costs thru adding the virtual first round.