GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,337
2 members and 2,335 guests
No Members online

Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Notification of Suspension of Chapters/Members

To ALL Greeks:

Are you notified of the suspension of chapters and revokation of charters? If so, how? Email, publication in your magazine, minutes of board meetings, or other?

What about suspensions or expulsions of individual members? Does your organization post a list on your website, send a list via email, magazine, etc?

In Alpha Phi Omega, I have noticed that matters of this nature are communicated via the board minutes published in our national newsletter, as well as the proceedings of the national convention, which I think may be found online.

It's a little different in Alpha, and I was wondering what other organizations did.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:37 AM

The executive coucil of Sigma Chi makes all decisions on charters, suspensions, and expulsions. If a charter is revoked (sp?) or suspended, there will be an announcement placed on the website and it will be included in the executive council minutes that are published in our magazine.

If a member is expelled, it will be noted in the minutes but not on the website. The member's name is not released. In the Johns Hopkins Halloween case, it was noted on the website that the member who created the party invite was expelled. That is the only time I have seen that occur.

Many times, a chapter will expel a member from the chapter, but will not carry out a full expulsion from the fraternity. I know my own chapter has expelled at least 6 or 7 guys over a 20 odd year period. We did not pursue the expulsions to the international fraternity level.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-19-2007, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The lists are on our national website for all to see.

If you don't want to see your name online, don't do the crime.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Chapter suspensions/closings are on the website and/or in the magazine, usually.

I've never heard anything about the suspension of an individual member unless it was from my chapter - and even then it's only communicated to the collegiate chapter, not the alumnae.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Chapters are notified by letter and a represenative from out IHQ who is there to carry it out and why.

Once a Chapter is suspended, it is placed on our Monthly C and C so stating of the closure.

It is always hard to see one being suspended. Many times, it is harder to get reinstated and rebuilt.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Once a Chapter is suspended, it is placed on our Monthly C and C so stating of the closure.
What is a C and C?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
The lists are on our national website for all to see.

If you don't want to see your name online, don't do the crime.
Yeah, what Ladygreek said.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Are you notified of the suspension of chapters and revokation of charters? If so, how? Email, publication in your magazine, minutes of board meetings, or other?
Yes, we are notified. The information is placed on the national website, and if the suspension or revocation is for risk management issues, there is usually an accompanying news release. Notice is also given through the national listserv, through our magazine (The Sinfonian) and through the collegiate newsletter (The Red & Black).
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Yes, we are notified. The information is placed on the national website, and if the suspension or revocation is for risk management issues, there is usually an accompanying news release. Notice is also given through the national listserv, through our magazine (The Sinfonian) and through the collegiate newsletter (The Red & Black).
This is what I would consider to be a fraternal "best practice." Kudos.

I don't like finding out through the media that an Alpha chapter has been suspended, whether by the fraternity or by the school.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGenius Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGenius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
This is what I would consider to be a fraternal "best practice." Kudos.

I don't like finding out through the media that an Alpha chapter has been suspended, whether by the fraternity or by the school.
I concur brother....handling it in house cuts down on a lot of speculation and drama outside the house. I think, in a brotherly fashion, all should be notified of risk management issues that occur within the fraternity. Not to embarass or shame, but to educate and warn. Nothing should be done in malice, only in love. After all, "Goodwill Is The Monarch Of This House"

I have to admit though...I used to go on to the DST website and joke on my GF about her chapter having suspended oldheads with $13 dollars left on their fine...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenGenius View Post
I concur brother....handling it in house cuts down on a lot of speculation and drama outside the house. I think, in a brotherly fashion, all should be notified of risk management issues that occur within the fraternity. Not to embarass or shame, but to educate and warn. Nothing should be done in malice, only in love. After all, "Goodwill Is The Monarch Of This House"

I have to admit though...I used to go on to the DST website and joke on my GF about her chapter having suspended oldheads with $13 dollars left on their fine...
LOL @ suspended oldheads. Yeah some have been on 10-15 years with a $100 fine. Makes you wonder to what were they really committed.

By allowing the public see the names we have cut down on unsuspecting prospects being led into mischief by suspended chapters and sorors. Now they do not have the excuse "I didn't know so and so was suspended."

We don't have many expulsions, and it seems the frats (or at least one--the Omegas) expell more than the sororities.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!