GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,217
1 members and 1,216 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 10-23-2019, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Social Resume/Recs

Hello! I am looking for advice regarding the substance of the social resume. I know the importance of including GPA. Is it really appropriate to include the list of AP and Dual Enrollment courses (seems sort of irrelevant at a school where everyone had to take AP/IP/DE courses just to get in). How about the inclusion of SAT/ACT scores? Finally (and thanks for your patience!), how important is it to include a photo on the social resume. I have seen some great digital resume templates, many that include photos. Once again, I don’t want to over do this. This is for UVA.

As for recommendations, I read that UVA is more of a “nice to have” environment, rather than mandatory. Is that currently accurate?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I wrote a lot of recs this fall, and for the most part I always had to ask for extra info beyond what ladies included in their rec resume. So here goes:

• Your name (and any nickname - say your name is Katherine but you go by Katie - include that)
  • Your address (including zip code)
  • Your high school name and location
  • your year of graduation from high school
  • SAT/ACT (ours doesn't ask for it, but some may)
  • GPA (and the scale used)
  • whether that GPA includes AP courses or not (you can include what the courses are if you'd like)
  • the university you're attending
  • your year of freshman admission
  • if you've completed any college already
  • if you have, the college name and location and your college GPA and the hours you've completed (this is important for transfers and upperclassmen!)
  • legacy status (I usually recommend you state separately in your email to your rec writer if you're a legacy to their group, but leave legacy status off all forms so no one assumes you'll go XYZ - that way the groups in question know, but no one else)
  • Interests and activities you have - THIS IS IMPORTANT - A big portion of our rec is asking about who you are and what you like. So include what you did in school - sports teams, drama, choir, etc. Include things you did outside of school - dance, tutoring, philanthropy etc. Any awards you won for anything etc.
  • A separate photo along with the resume - you can include one on the resume as well, but also send a separate one. It's not a requirement, but a good idea so the chapter can put a name to a face. It will help them remember you.
  • Send photos as JPG and resumes as PDF.

I always end up asking via email for some personality info because we have room to include more info and I like to say something like "Jane is very shy, but gets along well with really outgoing people who can bring her out of her shell" to help the chapter match PNMs and rushers up so they end up having good conversations. So you may want to include something in the body of your email (not the rec) to your writer. Something simple like "I"m a very outgoing person and can hold a conversation with anyone" or "I'm really shy and I know recruitment will be a challenge, but I love talking with outgoing people, they really help put me at ease." or something like that.

Every org has different rec requirements, but this should help with the basics. Some rec writers (especially if you know them through someone) may want to chat on the phone or by email for awhile to get to know you a little.

Make an effort to find people to write who know you personally. They'll be able to write a more comprehensive rec. If you can't find anyone personal, try friends of friends etc. Finally, contact Alumnae Panhellenic Associations, as they can put you in touch with rec writers.

I can't speak to your school specifically, but I'm sure someone here can.

Last edited by Jen; 10-23-2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: damn spaces again
Old 10-23-2019, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

She should include a final transcript with her resume to the rec writers. That will validate her grades and course work.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Parents names, the colleges they attended, home address, PNM's email, family Greek affiliations, clubs, charities she volunteered with, leadership positions she held, intended major
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! I found some great templates and have populated one. I am down to a few issues:
1) do I include all the AP and IB classes in the education section?
2) do I include a picture embedded in the resume?
Old 10-24-2019, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoheids View Post
Thanks so much! I found some great templates and have populated one. I am down to a few issues:
When it comes to pictures please attach them separately! When people email me rec packets it's so hard to attach pictures to the online rec form when they embed them in a Word doc or PDF.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like what "The Box" wanted for my daughters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I wrote a lot of recs this fall, and for the most part I always had to ask for extra info beyond what ladies included in their rec resume. So here goes:

• Your name (and any nickname - say your name is Katherine but you go by Katie - include that)
  • Your address (including zip code)
  • Your high school name and location
  • your year of graduation from high school
  • SAT/ACT (ours doesn't ask for it, but some may)
  • GPA (and the scale used)
  • whether that GPA includes AP courses or not (you can include what the courses are if you'd like)
  • the university you're attending
  • your year of freshman admission
  • if you've completed any college already
  • if you have, the college name and location and your college GPA and the hours you've completed (this is important for transfers and upperclassmen!)
  • legacy status (I usually recommend you state separately in your email to your rec writer if you're a legacy to their group, but leave legacy status off all forms so no one assumes you'll go XYZ - that way the groups in question know, but no one else)
  • Interests and activities you have - THIS IS IMPORTANT - A big portion of our rec is asking about who you are and what you like. So include what you did in school - sports teams, drama, choir, etc. Include things you did outside of school - dance, tutoring, philanthropy etc. Any awards you won for anything etc.
  • A separate photo along with the resume - you can include one on the resume as well, but also send a separate one. It's not a requirement, but a good idea so the chapter can put a name to a face. It will help them remember you.
  • Send photos as JPG and resumes as PDF.

I always end up asking via email for some personality info because we have room to include more info and I like to say something like "Jane is very shy, but gets along well with really outgoing people who can bring her out of her shell" to help the chapter match PNMs and rushers up so they end up having good conversations. So you may want to include something in the body of your email (not the rec) to your writer. Something simple like "I"m a very outgoing person and can hold a conversation with anyone" or "I'm really shy and I know recruitment will be a challenge, but I love talking with outgoing people, they really help put me at ease." or something like that.

Every org has different rec requirements, but this should help with the basics. Some rec writers (especially if you know them through someone) may want to chat on the phone or by email for awhile to get to know you a little.

Make an effort to find people to write who know you personally. They'll be able to write a more comprehensive rec. If you can't find anyone personal, try friends of friends etc. Finally, contact Alumnae Panhellenic Associations, as they can put you in touch with rec writers.

I can't speak to your school specifically, but I'm sure someone here can.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoheids View Post
Frankly they'd rather see the transcript. The resume should be , in my opinion, no more than a page and a half.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Remember that UVA might be a "it's nice to have them but not required" rec environment, but some groups have national policies requiring recs, regardless of the campus culture. Always get recs if you can.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is something to consider when you ask a large group this question...each group has different requirements for their recommendations. From what I understand, several groups have options for their alums to write recs where they "check boxes" and then have areas where the alum can provide supporting information for these "checked boxes" either in the form of attached pdfs or a free response section. The more information you provide, the more the alum will be able to justify her comments and hopefully provide something that would separate your daughter from every other girl who is going through recruitment.

I've learned not to assume anything regarding rec. writers. Right now you are entrenched in the game that is high school. You know that "everyone" takes AP/IB classes. However, some of your friends or relatives that are writing recs may not know that. Listing them in few lines doesn't take up too much space and it makes it VERY easy for your writers as opposed to combing through their transcript and perhaps missing some things.

In addition to some of the things already listed in other responses, I like to know class rank.

Regarding pictures, I suggest embedding a small one at the very top of the resume and then including two to three actual pictures--closeup, personality and 2/3 or full length. I can only speak to what I know, but there is a specific reason for including these.

There is some debate as to how much information should be included on the resumes. As long as you keep it to two pages, you are probably ok--once again, just speaking to what I know. One tip is to make sure you list actual hours invested beside each thing in your service section. If the number is less than impressive, list the year beside the entry.

One last tip, include a section for interests. Have your daughter really expand upon these in her cover letter. This will REALLY help her have a wonderful experience during recruitment. Trust me on this one.

Best wishes for a great recruitment. Recs sometimes feel like a pain, but they can really make a difference behind the scenes during recruitment.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is really informative. While I'm at a school where you don't need it I'll certainly keep this for later.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 11-04-2019, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

http://houston-panhellenic.org/recru...e_03032010.pdf

I also ask the PNM to include a few fun facts about herself. Something that doesn’t have to do with school, employment, activities, awards, honors. Like a celebrity encounter (my cousin who just joined AXO at OK State, met Kristen Chenoweth last year), interesting family relations (ancestry.com tidbit?), a certification in a hobby/interest (my God-daughter, Theta at UC-Davis, took a seminar and got her Mermaid “certificate” the summer before her college freshman year). Great conversation starters and sororities can use these as party matches for a PNM during recruitment.

My AXO cousin — did it get her an extra day invite at Gamma Phi? Don’t know, but it couldn’t hurt.
My Theta goddaughter — she was matched to a Theta who also loved mermaids!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

my 2 cents

If your daughter has a below average GPA I would include SAT and ACT scores and a transcript of her high school grades.

A photo is one of the most important things to include primarily because it helps the chapter know who she is when she walks in the door. Senior pictures are perfect for this.

ALWAYS do recommendations! This is the single best first step you can take to insure a successful recruitment. Think of a rec as an introduction of your daughter to the chapter. Include fun facts and activities those are conversation starters!! Recruitment is competitive by its very nature. 1,000 girls going through for quota spots of 80-100.