GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,234
0 members and 1,234 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I still rush a sorority at a different school if I was in one at my old school?

I was in college for a year and rushed a non panhellenic sorority. While I was a pledge the girls basically painted a pretty picture for us and when the 6 weeks were over hell kinda broke lose. Due to this I was suffering huge panic attacks and had to actually leave my school! It was the only sorority on campus with about 14 girls or so. The school was so small but there was no Greek spirit (one sorority, no frat, literally no funding) that no one knew about it and the people who did know about would call it horrid names (fat girls club, the fatppas', fat girl's gossip club, and the lesbians.) Since dropping out of college I've been looking for bigger schools and University of Mississippi has really caught my eye! It's affordable, they have my major, and they have everything I want! However I would love to rush another sorority because they have my top two chapters there (Chi O and Kappa Delta). I have no issue about being "shady" since my sisters were not the best to me. Can I still rush a NPCS? Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If it was not a NPC sorority, there is nothing preventing you from going through recruitment.

Do understand that as, I assume, a sophomore, your options may be limited. Most chapters prefer freshmen. I hope you have a stellar g.p.a and extracurriculars other than your previous sorority.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

You can rush if your sorority was non-NPC but believe me, you can not choose ahead of time which sorority you want to be in. Those 2 chapters are major choices of many freshmen with connections, high GPAs, and top activities.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll actually be a freshman. I attended a private college before and I heard it's very hard to transfer the credits over because of that. So there for I'm starting over at the new school and paying off my loans with scholarships
Old 08-19-2015, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB717 View Post
I'll actually be a freshman. I attended a private college before and I heard it's very hard to transfer the credits over because of that. So there for I'm starting over at the new school and paying off my loans with scholarships
Have you been accepted to Ole Miss? Even if you're coming in as a "freshman" you will be older and have a year long gap in your resume.

Do you know anyone at Ole Miss?
Old 08-19-2015, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole miss is a tough recruitment. You'll need plenty of recs and stellar activities and GPA. It's very old southern.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Is anyone colonizing there? That could be an option. However, I know nil about Ole Miss.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi is colonizing right now (fall 2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Have you been accepted to Ole Miss? Even if you're coming in as a "freshman" you will be older and have a year long gap in your resume.

Do you know anyone at Ole Miss?
I'm actually still looking at colleges but right now Ole Miss is my top one. I'm thinking about applying next year since this year I'm just doing scholarships to pay off my last school and hopefully then put some towards my new school. I was just using Ole Miss as an example since it's my top one. I don't know anyone at Ole Miss but I have family in Kappa Delta so I was hoping to use that since Kappa Delta is my DREAM chapter
Old 08-20-2015, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

How can it be your dream chapter when you've never met any member of that chapter???? You've already said enough here to be identified when you register for recruitment, so I would watch what else you put out for public consumption.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm actually still looking at colleges but right now Ole Miss is my top one. I'm thinking about applying next year since this year I'm just doing scholarships to pay off my last school and hopefully then put some towards my new school. I was just using Ole Miss as an example since it's my top one. I don't know anyone at Ole Miss but I have family in Kappa Delta so I was hoping to use that since Kappa Delta is my DREAM chapter
So you'll be 20 when you go through recruitment? That's going to be a handicap at a lot of schools, not just Ole Miss.

I have no clue what you mean about using scholarships to pay for your other school but you aren't enrolled there?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So you'll be 20 when you go through recruitment? That's going to be a handicap at a lot of schools, not just Ole Miss.

I have no clue what you mean about using scholarships to pay for your other school but you aren't enrolled there?
You can use scholarships to pay off student loans.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Really? I never knew that!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You might want to google Department of Education and Student Aid. Scholarships are for off-setting the cost of education or paying for school (if you're that fortunate). Students loans are loans, (i.e. you borrow money and pay back). Depending on your area of study you might be eligible for programs that offer loan repayment for working in a particular field but again those aren't scholarships.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Quote:
Really? I never knew that!
Great huh?! I googled it and certain scholarships can be put towards loans or any college expense (i.e. books, laptops, school supplies, etc)