GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,400
2 members and 1,398 guests
asamathattso539, Sarak24034

Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I post my Retro Recruitment Story?

Or is this trend dead?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Please do!! Those of us who check this board constantly need something to read!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I may just post it anyways, it will be fun to relive the memories!

Retro Recruitment Story

Ok, I went through Recruitment in 2001 and here is my story if everyone isn’t totally sick of these yet!
4 chapters on my campus
Coach
LV
Dooney & Bourke
Kate Spade

Why I went through Rush…

It was about a week and half before school started on a Thursday. I was a nanny that summer and for SOME reason I had a random thought that day, I wonder about sororities? I decided to research it so I called the University and got the number for Greek Life. I was connected with the Greek Advisor and he informed me that Rush started in two days, Saturday and that I could still register if I filled out my form and paid by tomorrow. Remember I still had no idea what any of this meant. I was the first person in my family to go to college and I had ZERO Greek relatives or information. I honestly think it was a blessing that I decided to check out this thing called Rush. I called my friend Krystle because my BEST FRIEND and roommate, was out of town at a church thing. Krystle was always a fun girl and I figured I could talk her into doing this Rush thing with me.

I grabbed my kids that I was watching and we headed up to the University where I picked up two packets, one for me and one for Krystle. After I got off work that day I went over to Krystle’s apartment to convince her to rush with me. It was a pretty easy sell; we poured over the Recruitment book over and over again and discussed which sororities looked better than the others. I had heard good things about Coach from alum that knew my best friend, she said they were the nice normal girls so I was already interested in them. Our other friend, Andrea was at the apartment too. She had actually received Rush information in the mail and wanted to go through with us too. The problem was that her dad had already signed her up for Scuba diving classes that weekend. Andrea was quite the dramatic girl and I will never forget her sobbing on the phone with her parents, “I want to be a sorority girl not a scuba diver” while Krystle and I just laughed at her. We had another friend, Emily who was Krystle’s roommate but she said she was NOT joining a sorority.

Friday-the day before Rush

Because I had convinced Krystle to go through Rush with me at the last minute I took 5 of her senior pictures and our paperwork to work with me. I filled out both of our applications, and attached our pictures. I did call my mom that day and discuss this with her. She was surprised and asked me why I was interested. I told her that I had always HEARD things about Greek life but I wanted to find out for myself. If I went through Rush and it proved to be superficial, partying, drinking only I would drop out before the end. She was very supportive but also told me that I would have to pay for it on my own. I was excited that my mom was happy for me so I grabbed my kids (again) and we went to turn in our forms. The Greek Advisor told me to be at the University at 1:00 PM (1 think) and I headed home on my merry way making sure to drive around campus finding the different houses.

On a side note- It was a big jump for me to do all of this without Best Friend. She and I were connected at the hip and she is pretty conservative. I was worried about what she would think when she got home and found out I was rushing without her.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Please do!! Those of us who check this board constantly need something to read!
Thanks!! I love these retro threads!! They are light shining down from heaven (ok a little far, but wonderful in the same way). PLEASE POST AWAY!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

OPEN HOUSE!

I did not go shopping for Rush but I did scour through my clothes and borrow some from my very fashionable mom to come up with cute outfits for the week. For Open House I wore a knee length jean skirt with a sleeveless red turtleneck sweater that had a cute tie at the waist, comfy but cute healed sandals with hair/makeup/toes painted and cute earrings. Krystle, Andrea (yes her parents let her out of scuba lessons) and I went together. We were excited but nervous. We got to orientation and listened to the Rho Chi’s explain Rush, answer questions, and then we were broken into groups. The three of us were separated which was fine. We played Icebreakers and waited to find out our schedules for the day.

My OPEN HOUSE schedule
Kate Spade
Coach
D&B
LV

We finally started going to our open parties and here are my observations.
Kate Spade-Unfortunately there was already some negative tent talk about this group on Open. They were the smallest group on campus. That meant nothing to me because I was clueless so I went in with an open mind. The singing freaked me out but the girls looked cute, they were in pastel shirts and khaki pants. They had a very small house but it was decorated cute. Unfortunately I did not have a good rusher, she was very small, and very shy. She barely spoke but I thought I did a good job of making conversation.

Coach- I loved this house, all the girls were very diverse and they were very bubbly and smiley! The house was also quite small but bigger than Kate Spade’s. They wore Bright colored short sleeve shirts in different colors with khaki capri’s. I met a girl named Rebecca that I LOVED; she was really funny and VERY outgoing. I decided that I wanted to be a coach really badly.

D&B- This house was HUGE, the biggest on campus and beautiful. The girls were all very pretty also, mostly brunettes (like me) and dancers (like me). They seemed very friendly but I was a little turned off. I was rushed by two girls that I went to high school with but they were a year older and very popular. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t a loser in high school but I was in the middle group if you know what I mean. These girls had NEVER said two words to me in high school and now they were acting like they had known me forever and were so excited that I was there because we KNEW each other. I know now that they were just being nice and trying to connect with me but at the time I thought it was a bit fake. Still, I was excited about this house and kept it near the top of my list. Overall, I still thought D&B might be a good match for me so I overlooked the girls I knew from high school.

LV-My last house of the day was LV. I had heard that they were the BEST house and the largest group on campus. I still didn’t really understand why size was important but whatever. I was very impressed with this group because they have an AWESOME recruitment. They wore the cutest outfits, the house was big but not huge and it was completely decorated. I really liked LV but I wasn’t sure if I would really fit in as myself in this house. My rusher also talked a lot about religion, I am a Christian and pretty conservative but I didn’t really understand how this related to what sorority I would join. I wondered if I would be just another LV here or if I could really shine somewhere else?

My ranking after Open
Coach
D&B
LV

Kate Spade

Krystle liked
D&B
Coach
LV
Kate Spade

Andrea liked
LV
Coach
D&B
Kate Spade
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus406 View Post
my friend Krystle
Does this make anyone else feel really, really, really OLD?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Krystle makes you feel old? Why?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't get this either?!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe due to the non-traditional spelling?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I get it...but of course, I AM old!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Krystle was the name of one of the main characters in "Dynasty", which will always remind me of huge shoulder pads.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 PM

The fact that they don't get it makes me feel old.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I have a sister named Krystle, I don't feel old...lol!

Mas por favor!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Philanthropy Day
We didn’t cut and the houses didn’t cut until Theme Night so we had to go to all four chapters on the first two days.

Today I felt a lot better, I wasn’t as nervous and I was excited. I was worried about what to wear though. We were supposed to wear our Rush shirts with casual bottoms because of the crafts but I feared it would be one of those things where the losers followed directions and everyone else showed up in heels. I finally decided to follow the directions so I wore my Rush shirt, with jean Capri pants and cute flip flops, making sure that hair/makeup was done. This night was held in the student center.

I cannot remember what order I went in to the houses but here are my observations

LV-
Cute, the members all wore different letter shirts and I loved looking at them. We did tye-dye which was messy but fun and that is really all I remember. I still thought these girls were beautiful but a little snobby for my taste.

D&B- This was sort of beach themed. The members wore pink and turquoise t-shirts with their philanthropy on them. We put together baskets. We did play a game where we answered questions pulled out of a beach pail in the middle of our table. I didn’t like this game because I don’t like answering silly questions like, “ If you were a car, what car would you be”

Coach- Again I felt so at home with these girls. I sat a table and all the members where really funny. We painted pots (I don’t really remember why) and I painted mine like a watermelon. My rusher showed it off to everyone and told me it was so cute. She also asked me what I thought so far and I told her that I loved Coach and it was my first choice. SO BOLD of me.

Kate Spade- Tonight I didn’t enjoy this house, as much as I tried to have an open mind, the tent talk was getting to me. In addition to that, I kept getting horrible rushers. Some of the girls looked cute and nice but I kept getting mute girls and I was tired of carrying the conversation. Weren’t they supposed to talk to me? I finished my craft (decorating small pails) pretty quickly. My rusher asked me if I wanted to make another one and I told her no. Looking back, that was pretty rude of me. I think I was worn out, it was my last party and I was annoyed that these girls were living up to the negative talk by not talking to me.

After Philanthropy I liked
Coach
D&B
LV
Kate Spade

Krystle
D&B and Coach were tied
LV
Kate Spade

Andrea
LV
D&B and Coach tied
Kate Spade

We would get our first invites back the next morning and we were all nervous! We all liked different houses so where would we end up the next day?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

very interesting thread...why am i so addicted?!? lol more please!