GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,438
1 members and 2,437 guests
No Members online

Old 03-03-2003, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Zephyr
First of all, I think DZO is a horrible representation of the Greek system. Who hazes the rushees at a Rush Event? Why would anyone want to join an organization where they treat you like crap beginning at the RUSH EVENTS. if I were in high school or in college thinking abotu joining a sorority, I'd be afraid to even go to rush, if I didn't know any better, based on what we see DZO doing on MTV.

And that Jenel girl has a crap attitude. She's got great hair but a crap attitude.

I'm sorry, but in my sorority, at our Rush events, we want to get to know the potential members of our sorority and understand rush can be a bit intimidating, therefore we talk to THEM, hopefully they'll talk to us... we don't sit around and look miserable like the DZO women do.

I wasn't crazy about the first sorority life, but Sigma is looking pretty good in comparison to DZO. Still, i plan on watching it. I can't wait to see how much hazing goes on in their pledge program, based on what they do at the Rush parties.

Kristen
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-03-2003, 11:15 AM

honestly...

People. Get a grip. The "greek alphabet" reference at the rush party IS OBVIOUSLY A JOKE. The last I looked, jokes were still legal at rush parties, but I guess that will be changing soon.

It disgusts me that there are posters already assuming the worst of this group. So much for "no matter the letter, we're all Greek together."
Old 03-03-2003, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: honestly...

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
People. Get a grip. The "greek alphabet" reference at the rush party IS OBVIOUSLY A JOKE. The last I looked, jokes were still legal at rush parties, but I guess that will be changing soon.

It disgusts me that there are posters already assuming the worst of this group. So much for "no matter the letter, we're all Greek together."
I agree. I don't think they're that naive to say that on national tv and MEAN it.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if they were joking or not; but those girls WERE crappy at Rush; also I'd never sit a Rushee down and snap , "Why do you even want to be friends with us?" Tha'ts a valid question you want to knwo at Rush-obviously-but I think from the previews, they were just crappy.

Traditionally, I think organizatiosn try to put their best faces forward at Rush. I think DZO could have been A LOT nicer to those Rushees.

Especially that one who looks like Mariah.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

So you know where I am coming from...I am a Membership Development Advisor for D Phi E, I'm an alumni, however I've only been out of school for a few years I'm not completely out of touch with what it's like tobe an undergrad, BUT I can say based on what I've seen so far, DZO is typifying stereotypes so many sororities work so hard to disprove. It's been ONE episode, I know, I know... But so far I really think they've been crappy at their Rush events and I am wondering what the rest of their pledge program is going to be like!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I've seen so far, it's the DZO members who really need to work on their manners. They are being so critical of potential members who don't come and approach them and say hello. The last time I checked that is the responsibility of the members to make the pms feel welcome, not the other way around.

Also, it is just plain rude to leave a pm event and go discuss the pms (i.e. the barbeque and the softball game). Save that for after the event!
Old 03-03-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhawkalum
From what I've seen so far, it's the DZO members who really need to work on their manners. They are being so critical of potential members who don't come and approach them and say hello. The last time I checked that is the responsibility of the members to make the pms feel welcome, not the other way around.
This is not an NPC formal rush event. The rushees are at the rush party because they CHOSE to come to it - not because DZO is the next group they have to visit. If someone came to my barbecue, ate my food, and didn't bother to say hi to me, I would be critical of them too.

Zephyr, I appreciate your opinion, but how would you feel if people formed their opinion of ALL your sisters after meeting just one? Do you see at all where I'm coming from?
Old 03-03-2003, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I think that the sister was joking about reciting the Greek alphabet backwards while sticking your butt out the window. It seemed like a joke to me. I guess we will have to wait until the next episode to see.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: honestly...

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

Thank you! That's what I hate about this show -- not that it shows Greeks in a bad light, but that it brings out the worst in the Greeks on GC. Everybody's quick to preach about Greek unity, but then they all jump at the chance to rip apart these girls with the justification that "they chose to be on TV, so they deserve it." That's a hell of a lot of Greek unity there.

We expect potential rushees to be confused by this show because it shows a local sorority and not a national and the two systems are generally very different. However, it seems like a lot of current GLO members have the same problem differentiating between local and national groups. This is not a national sorority, and we shouldn't expect it to act exactly like one! Ladies, the NPC has a great system, but it's not the only system. How these ladies treat rushees at THEIR rush parties in THEIR house is completely their prerogative. Just because your group would do it differently doesn't mean that DZO has to be wrong.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you! That's what I hate about this show -- not that it shows Greeks in a bad light, but that it brings out the worst in the Greeks on GC............

How these ladies treat rushees at THEIR rush parties in THEIR house is completely their prerogative. Just because your group would do it differently doesn't mean that DZO has to be wrong.

Sugar and Spice is right, it is DZO's right to run their rush however they feel appropriate, even if that means being rude to pms and talking about them during recruitment activities.

However, GC is a forum to talk about anything greek-related. If we only talked about the "good" aspects of sororities, this would be a really boring board and it probably would die out really quickly. I enjoy coming to this board to hear praise AND CRITICISM about the greek system, and I doubt I'm the only one

Last edited by Jhawkalum; 03-03-2003 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jhawkalum

However, GC is a forum to talk about anything greek-related. If we only talked about the "good" aspects of sororities, this would be a really boring board and it probably would die out really quickly. I enjoy coming to this board to hear praise AND CRITICISM about the greek system, and I doubt I'm the only one
Oh, I definitely agree with you on that -- both negatives and positives should be discussed -- but I think there's a difference between "The DZO girls were really rude at their rush party!" and "D*mn, that Janel girl is a b*itch!" Or last season, when some of the girls were even taking shots at the SAEPi girls' clothes, weight, whatever -- that's cheap.

The point was raised in a recent discussion about this show that the best thing we can do about "Sorority Life," since we can't get rid of it, is to use it as an educational tool. We were discussing using it as an educational tool for PNMs, but I think current members can often get just as much out of it.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to lighten things back up a lil............

For those who have looked at the meet the brothers thing on the MTV site for Fraternity Life, isn't Jimmy (the house manager) a cutie?!?!
Old 03-03-2003, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Oh, I definitely agree with you on that -- both negatives and positives should be discussed -- but I think there's a difference between "The DZO girls were really rude at their rush party!" and "D*mn, that Janel girl is a b*itch!" Or last season, when some of the girls were even taking shots at the SAEPi girls' clothes, weight, whatever -- that's cheap.
Apparently we're back to the reality show/"dirty laundry" issues we dealt with during the previous season.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I wasn't thrilled with DZO very much. They didn't seem very personable or friendly, with the exception of when Janel practically jumped that poor Nicole in the Student Union. But, it's only the first episode. I hated the new members in SAEPi in the beginning and by the end, I hated most of the sisters!! It should be some fine entertainment!!
Old 03-03-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaDolceVita03
Just to lighten things back up a lil............

For those who have looked at the meet the brothers thing on the MTV site for Fraternity Life, isn't Jimmy (the house manager) a cutie?!?!
Mmm...hmm......