GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,371
2 members and 2,369 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 08:13 PM

In A Phi O and in my sorority, pledges could wear any kind of letters but not the crest. The stitched letters thing wasn't an issue because waaaaaaaaaaaay back when I pledged on the prairie we couldn't get the stitched letters.

AOX81, a local sorority on my campus had the same rule that they could only wear the words, not the Greek letters. I lived w/ one of their pledges and on one of her colors days, she borrowed my Derby Daze shirt because it was the same color. Ooops, it's got her sorority letters on it...

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited April 25, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2001, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

DZRose93, thats exactly how we did it with my chapter. Pledges couldnt wear letters or event tshirts. But they could wear shirts with BETA spelled out. Pledges couldnt wear hats either.

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu

[This message has been edited by Miami1839 (edited April 25, 2001).]
Old 04-25-2001, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate00:
Quote:
Originally posted by naraht:
This varies from chapter to chapter. I've seen chapters do everything from nothing but the pledge pin, to gifts from bigs during the pledge period that can be just about anything.

The only policies that go beyond the chapter are those for Petitioning Groups (Colonies) where the region determines the policy.

Yeah, you've got a point there. I can only speak for my chapter. Once initiated, we do something called a paddle-letter exchange where the a little brother gives his big the paddle in exchange for their letters and other gifts. It's a tradition we've had since our chapter was founded in 1953.
Sounds like a very cool tradition! My chapter didn't do paddles, but did do gifts to littles at inititation.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer
Old 04-25-2001, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

as for kappa alpha theta, as pledges we are not allowed to wear anything that has our letters... on lavaliers, shirts, sweatshirts, backpacks... nothing. the only thing that national lets us have is the word THETA along with our pledge pins.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
To go along w/ what James has said, our chapter does not allow pledges to wear letters (under the reasoning that they don't know what they mean in any respect [words or feeling], so it's sort of a moot point). Some others around here do, though - a few allow only the words spelled out, and two allow anything but the badge/crest. Interesting how differences work, especially b/w chapters even in the same district.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:58 PM
Unregistered-

Cool

To add on to my AGD sister's post above,

As new members, they are encouraged to wear the letters! Again, the only things they are prohibited from wearing are the crest and badge...simply because they haven't yet learned the entire meaning and sacredness of those two symbols.

As a sister-daughter one of the first gifts I received from my sister-mom was my very first AGD sweatshirt. For 8 weeks I wore those letters proudly, and I was even prouder when I was initiated!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 04-26-2001, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

We do allow new members to wear letters of any style or stitching. In fact, many times big sisters will give little sisters jerseys with letters as a gift.

I read a post one time about a group that only allows new members to wear shirts with iron-on letters and when they are initiated, they can wear stitched letters. From what I remember, the rationale was that iron-on letters were "temporary" and could be stripped if need be... but stitched letters imply permanance.

I guess the way I see it, it seems like "temporary letters" imply that someone may not be initiated.

We assume that every woman that pledges will be initiated... that's not to say that 100% of the women that we pledge are initiated but we wouldn't have given a bid to someone that we didn't think was going to be a permanent member of our sisterhood.

Pirate00, I'm not implying that what you guys do is wrong. Or even that the reason above is why you don't allow new members to wear stitched letters. That's not for me to say. I think it's maybe just a different way of thinking about the new member (pledge) period.

[This message has been edited by AlphaXiGirl (edited April 25, 2001).]
Old 04-26-2001, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate00:
I have noticed on my campus that some fraternities let their pledges wear stitched letters. This is strictly prohibited in Alpha Phi Omega, where pledges only wear a pin and a pledge jersey with a screen-printed reproduction of our letters. Once initiated, they have earned the right to wear stitched letters and own APO paraphernalia. Does your GLO allow pledges to wear stitched letters prior to initiation?
This varies from chapter to chapter. I've seen chapters do everything from nothing but the pledge pin, to gifts from bigs during the pledge period that can be just about anything.

The only policies that go beyond the chapter are those for Petitioning Groups (Colonies) where the region determines the policy.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer
Old 04-26-2001, 12:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Quote:
Originally posted by naraht:

Yeah, you've got a point there. I can only speak for my chapter. Once initiated, we do something called a paddle-letter exchange where the a little brother gives his big the paddle in exchange for their letters and other gifts. It's a tradition we've had since our chapter was founded in 1953.

-pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina Univ. www.ecu.edu

Be a leader, be a friend, be of service!

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old 04-26-2001, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow thats really interesting, I didn't know that other organizations allowed their new memembers to wear letters (iron-on or stitched) The way it is on my campus, is that pledges aren't allowed to wear the letters because out of respect and because they did not know what they symbolized.
Old 04-26-2001, 04:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

In my chapter, new members are not generally "supposed to" wear full frontals. Bigs often hand them down during big/little week, but the tradition seems to be that "pledges" are asked not to wear them around until they get initiated. Of course, noone informed my pledge class, but oh well!
Old 04-26-2001, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Optimist:
James, were you initiated when you joined the colony, or did you have to wait untill you were chartered.
At my school, most fraternities have pledge shirts with the fraternity letters on the upper left of the chest, over the heart, or there abouts. These letters are like maybe, an inch high. Little ones. And sometimes the pledge letters or chapter letters are on the sleves.
Colony status was synonomous with being a pledge. Getting chartered happened after Ritual initiation . . . and the check clearing . . . not sure which was more important
Old 04-26-2001, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Pledges aren't allowed to wear letters just anything that has Sigma Chi written out. The only fraternity that does that here at my school is Pi Kappa Phi and they blanket bid so they don't really have much of a brotherhood. You can tell they don't appreciate their letters cause they've been able to wear them since day one. The sororities here are allowed to wear their letters though when they are new members.
Old 04-26-2001, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to zete_boy
Hey,
here i think excpet for Alpha gam on my campus (dalhousie university) pledges are not allowed to wear letters in no way shape or form, they can wear pledge pins, that's it, until they are initiated they havn't proven themselves worthy

------------------
Edgar A. Hartling
Zulu and Constitution Contact
Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America - Alpha Mu Chapter
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Old 04-26-2001, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

At my school in Miami, our "Phi's" aren't allowed to wear stiched on letters until they are innitiated. We were allowed to wear any kind of iron on letters of any colors and any patterns as long as they were ironed on.. my pledge class got creative with cute fabrics and iron on stuff from a craft store, they were unique and alot of fun to make..
But the honor of being innitiated and "earning" the letters you wear was so much fun. I love my stich ons now
Most chapters on my campus have the same kind of rule. Iron ons can be taken off.. stich ons are stuck for life
thats just how it is here..

------------------
Love, Honor, Truth
Closed Thread