GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,586
1 members and 1,585 guests
FSUZeta

Old 09-22-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Young Advisors

Hi All,
I am hoping to find some tips and advice for a new and young advisor.

I just graduated this May from college in VA. I am now attending graduate school in Boston and will be the marketing advisor for MIT.

I just want to make sure that since I am so young that I am good advisor for these women. Also, I don't want to appear too rigid in drawing the line between alum/advisor and a 22-year old Alpha Phi. I am so excited about this opportunity and being able to help a chapter and still be a part of Alpha Phi that I just want to make sure I can do the best job possible.

I'm hoping that since this is a completely new chapter for me and not the one I was a collegiate in, that will make things easier.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to the Advisor Ranks! You're going to love it! It is truly a labor of love that will pay off in ways you can't imagine. When I got my first advising gig, I was a young one too. I think it is great that you are working with a chapter you don't already have a relationship with. That will make it easier. Also, the marketing spot is a great place for a young advisor to begin so that you aren't really dealing with any issue related to discipline or the like. Every chapter is unique and needs something a little different. I would suggest that you learn as much as you can about Alpha Phi policies and procedures. Take advantage of any and all opportunities for training. Read your manual 2-3 times right away. The hardest thing can be to figure out how much hands on help your officer(s) need from you. Keep your expectations reasonable for your first year. You're learning the ropes. Expect to make a few mistakes. Have fun with the women. Be authentic with them. Treat them as partners. Work at earning their respect and confidence. Smile a lot. Be yourself!

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:32 PM
cutiepatootie

I always wanted to be a an advisor but the closet chapter to me is very well staffed ......i really want to find something to do either regionally or somehwere where i can be helpful
Old 09-22-2004, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Stacie, our alum president, is also the Programming Advisor, and she is only 23, graduated a year ago. You'll be fine. Raina, our old alum president, was the Marketing Advisor at MIT and she had no problem. The sisters would hand in their reports months early. They are all totally on top of everything. And the women at MIT are really sweet and nice too, so you won't have a problem at all. Katie is also a great CA.

I started helping out at my own chapter right after I graduated, and officially became an advisor the year after. It's a little harder when it's your chapter, but if it's not it's totally easy. I think it can actually help to be young. For instance, the women at Bentley seem to relate to me well because of my age. I have a great relationship with them all, yet they still treat me as an advisor and not a peer.

btw, you better come to some alum events! We have to change the date for Founder's Day though. Are you on the yahoo group? I still manage it, so if you aren't I'll invite you.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for the help.

Lauralaylin, yes I'm on the yahoo group and I will do my best to come to events, assuming they are not on a night I have class.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
I'd love to help advise a chapter, but I just graduated and the nearest chapter besides mine is over 150 miles away! I don't think I should step into an advisor position with my own chapter until most of the girls I was active with have graduated. I've been trying to help them just as an active alumna since they don't have a Recruitment advisor right now.

So if we colonize something in Florida I will help! HINT HINT!

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 09-25-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to advising, Sailorgirl!
I began advising immediately after graduating college as well (at a chapter in a different state from my own) and found the experience to be rewarding, meaningful, and educational about Alpha Phi. It taught me almost right away that "our way" was not the only way...and that, while there are many things that are common to our sisterhood, our programs and practices do not always have to be exactly the same for every chapter.

It also taught me that Alpha Phis are amazing...wherever we are!

For young advisors, I would say the three biggest pieces of advice would be:

1.Remember that you are there to ADVISE ...so whenever possible, help the women reach decisions by thinking through the process together. If you know they are attempting to do something that cannot be permitted (or is simply not a good idea), ask lots of questions and offer solid reasoning and "things to think about" that will lead them to making the right decision. In a few cases, you will have to step in and say "I'm sorry, but you simply can't do that....and here is why..."....but this should be a last resort and approached with as much patience and respect as possible.

2. Pick your battles! Just because you would do it differently does not mean that is the way it has to be done. Resist any temptations you feel tugging at you to re-live your experience on Exec. and stop yourself if you find that you frequently begin conversations with "well...in my chapter we..."! Allow the women to learn from their choices...even the not-so-good ones... as long as the decisions are NOT dangerous or detrimental to the chapter.

3. Enjoy yourself! Really have fun with the women! Encourage them to meet new challenges and celebrate their successes! Make amazing new friends and compliment the chapter on the things they do well!

I hope you have a great first year on the Board at MIT!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Any updates on how it is going APhi Sailorgirl? Learned anything new? Any wisdom to share?