GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,263
0 members and 1,263 guests
No Members online

Old 07-10-2003, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
password protection?

i have been named webmistress of our chapter site again cuz our current one left the school. the girls really want a 'sisters only' site linked up to the regular site. i guess to have their own private guestbook and elaborate calendar and publications.

does anyone have any useful javascript or html to create a password protected section on a website?
Old 07-10-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
The girl that took care of the website before me did it for us...but I dont know how to do it (probably not the best thing because I am the new webmistress, but I think I am dropping it....)

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-10-2003, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are using MS Frontpage I see there is a way to do it if you type password in the help screen. I've not done a password area myself. Try a search on google. I'm sure you'll find a lot of info.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
What do you use to create your page? Right now my chapter is using tripod but I am lookign to move it to anthor place....I need something pretty simple!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-11-2003, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pi Kapp 142 Send a message via Yahoo to Pi Kapp 142
If this is too geeky/techno-nerd for ya PM me. Do you know what kind of webserver it is on? If it using Apache you can use .htaccess. Do a google search for how to do it, it is relatively easy. There are plenty of free javascript fomrs to password protect things to, but the webpages that the script protects will be indexed by 'bots which make information that you want protected available to people.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest using the .htaccess if Apache is installed.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I've got a pretty simple script on our page... and you can't hack it unless you know the EXACT page that you are looking for.

PM me if you want it, and I'll send it your way with an explanation.

also, i know a script that you put on the top of the page so you can only get to it from ONE CERTAIN other page... so people can't randomly surf to it either.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
we are actually on a chidelta.com
i am not sure what type of server or what types of features the host has cuz the old web designer hasn't emailed me back yet. i am assuming it can access apache cuz she was going to put up a password protected site but never got around to it.

i actually found another thread (god bless the search feature) that had a site with some basic script to protect your site. but axotiger, if you wanna PM me that script, that would be awesome.

thanks!

eta: sorry i am probably using dreamweaver MX to upload everything.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SCSweetheartDDD
Talking i need this info too!

i am trying to figure out how to make a "private side" too..... still, all this stuff people are saying isnt making sence to me....
i am using frontpage and i dont exactly know what apache is, i've seen the word but havent looked into it. if someone has step by step instructions, that would be AWESOME!
Old 07-16-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Is there a way to do it through Dreamweaver MX? My whole site is done (well in pagemaker) in Dreamweaver and I would love to add a sister's only site.

Side note- has anyone done their pages in Pagemaker and exported them to Dreamweaver? I don't understand why my images aren't showing up...*sigh* I'm just learning and there is soooo much to learn...
Old 07-16-2003, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

JavaScript

Gate Keeper Password Protect

More Google results

JavaScript security on HotScripts.com

.htaccess

Mosaic User Authentication Tutorial

Authentication, Authorization, and Access Control

---

You can use http://uptime.netcraft.com to determine what type of Web server you are using (i.e., if you're running Apache). For example, GreekChat.com is running Apache.

If this seems a bit over your head, then definitely go with JavaScript protection.

Also, remember that these methods do not absolutely secure the directories you set them up to protect, so you shouldn't put really sensitive material online *anywhere* on your Web site. That is to say, a non-member may somehow get ahold of your password and spread it around. Better to be safe than sorry. I use password protection to hide our members' contact information (addresses, phone #'s, email addrs., etc.) from the general public - that's it.

If you have questions, just ask. I'll try to help where I can.
Old 07-19-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm doing our website now, and I want to have a sisters only section as well. The website is linked to our university website, and I've not worked on it yet b/c I have to get the info on how to edit it from the old webmistress. I'm not sure what we use to edit our page, but if someone can PM me with info on the whole protected site thing it I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngeBabe Send a message via Yahoo to AngeBabe
Hey everyone ...

I'm the webmaster for my chapter ... http://axid.sparklz.net (sign the guestbook!)
We have a sister login where only sisters of our chapter can go to. it has a message board kind of like this. If any of you need any help with one I'll see what I can do, just PM me.

Angie
Old 07-29-2003, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread and a big THANKS to jonsagara for all the helpful links. I have been curious and asking around about this for sometime, but never thought to post this "how to" on greekchat. I was so happy to find the info here. I've already added a "Sisters Only" page!!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Old 08-07-2003, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to etahannah
just a quick thought.

i am working on my chapter's website. i just got an email from our executive offices stating that they changed their policy on privacy.

we are no longer allowed to have password protected areas of the website for secuirity reasons. i am super disappointed as are some of the ladies that knew about it.

just make sure you have the go on it so that you dont get into any trouble down the road.

but that's just my 2 cents!