GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,502
1 members and 2,501 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The Wonderful Wizard of OR: An Oregon Recruitment Story

I stumbled upon Greek Chat sometime last spring when senioritis set in and I was more interested in researching GLO’s than dealing with those last dregs of homework. I was in love. I learned as much as any PNM can hope to know going into recruitment from advice threads, and eagerly awaited the day I could contribute my own recruitment thread. Now it’s the day of orientation and my recruitment journey is FINALLY about to begin. I’m beyond excited.
I gave up on trying to conceal my university, since the number of sororities and time of recruitment probably makes it pretty obvious. At Oregon we have 9 NPC sororities:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
From what I understand the addition of Tri-Delt last year raised the maximum number of groups we can visit per round. We’ll visit all 9 over the first two days, up to 7 on day 3, up to 5 on day 4, and up to 3 for preference [I’m only 80% sure of this, I’ll revise after orientation if those numbers are incorrect]. After thinking long and hard [perhaps too long and too hard] I decided on a Wizard of Oz theme for my thread. It seemed fitting as recruitment will be a journey to find my way home filled with strange new customs I’ve never encountered and I imagine, many wonderful new friends. The sororities will be known as
Auntie Em
Uncle Henry
Dorothy
Toto
Scarecrow
Tin Man
Lion
Glinda
Elphaba [ok so that’s technically a Wicked reference and not WOZ, but I just didn’t feel right identifying any house as “the wicked witches” or “the munchkins”]

Greek life has been growing steadily here at Oregon and it seems that every girl I’ve met has told me she signed up for recruitment. I’m a little nervous on that count, and I’m starting to wish I had put more effort into securing recommendations. The only one I was able to get is to Uncle Henry. 3 other girls from my hall are going through recruitment, and for purposes of this thread will be known as Stewie, Duey, and Louie. Stewie is from a Greek family, though her legacy organizations aren’t on campus. She signed up for rush last minute on Monday, seemingly at the behest of her mother. She seems very apprehensive and isn’t sure she’ll accept a bid anywhere. Duey has the same attitude and even considered dropping out of recruitment because of the time commitment. Louie on the other hand has an older sister who is a VP at Tinman and is thrilled for recruitment. She’s pretty sure she’ll end up a Tinman as well, but is quick to point out that she knows having a sister in the group doesn’t guarantee her a bid and she is approaching the week with an open mind. As for me, my attitude has done a complete 180 over the last few months. I signed up for recruitment in July with the mindset that there were only a few appealing houses on campus and I knew exactly where I wanted to end up. Yeah I know, I do a facepalm thinking about that too. Now however, after reading other PNM’s recruitment stories and doing further research into my school’s organizations locally and nationally I’m in awe of how anyone ever chooses. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that some chapters are already standing out to me more than others after interacting with actives around campus [there was a huge info fair this past weekend, a few are in my classes, girls I know from high school, etc.], but I’m going in with an open mind and when I picture myself ripping into a bid envelope [knock on wood] next Tuesday I can’t even imagine what it will say. Since I identified my school, I’ll be delaying my posts a day or so just to be safe. Now to start looking for those ruby slippers…

Last edited by TweedleDee199; 09-29-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the theme and looking forward to your story! There is no place like home!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Instead of Elphaba you could go with Winged Monkeys (love them), The Wizard, Lollipop Guild or Lullaby League. Just don't call your Rho Chi Miss Gulch. Nothing wrong with being Munchkins, especially ballet dancing Munchkins with candy. Oh, and it is Glinda, not Glenda.

I've never been into Wicked, it was all about The Wiz after the original with Judy Garland. I need to Ease on Down the Road right now...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I will be going through recruitment too! Maybe I'll see you around!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 PM

This thread is already cracking me up and in a good way. You could also go with Professor Marvel!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee199 View Post
I stumbled upon Greek Chat sometime last spring when senioritis set in and I was more interested in researching GLO’s than dealing with those last dregs of homework. I was in love. I learned as much as any PNM can hope to know going into recruitment from advice threads, and eagerly awaited the day I could contribute my own recruitment thread. Now it’s the day of orientation and my recruitment journey is FINALLY about to begin. I’m beyond excited.
I gave up on trying to conceal my university, since the number of sororities and time of recruitment probably makes it pretty obvious. At Oregon we have 9 NPC sororities:
Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
From what I understand the addition of Tri-Delt last year raised the maximum number of groups we can visit per round. We’ll visit all 9 over the first two days, up to 7 on day 3, up to 5 on day 4, and up to 3 for preference [I’m only 80% sure of this, I’ll revise after orientation if those numbers are incorrect]. After thinking long and hard [perhaps too long and too hard] I decided on a Wizard of Oz theme for my thread. It seemed fitting as recruitment will be a journey to find my way home filled with strange new customs I’ve never encountered and I imagine, many wonderful new friends. The sororities will be known as
Auntie Em
Uncle Henry
Dorothy
Toto
Scarecrow
Tin Man
Lion
Glinda
Elphaba [ok so that’s technically a Wicked reference and not WOZ, but I just didn’t feel right identifying any house as “the wicked witches” or “the munchkins”]

Greek life has been growing steadily here at Oregon and it seems that every girl I’ve met has told me she signed up for recruitment. I’m a little nervous on that count, and I’m starting to wish I had put more effort into securing recommendations. The only one I was able to get is to Uncle Henry. 3 other girls from my hall are going through recruitment, and for purposes of this thread will be known as Stewie, Duey, and Louie. Stewie is from a Greek family, though her legacy organizations aren’t on campus. She signed up for rush last minute on Monday, seemingly at the behest of her mother. She seems very apprehensive and isn’t sure she’ll accept a bid anywhere. Duey has the same attitude and even considered dropping out of recruitment because of the time commitment. Louie on the other hand has an older sister who is a VP at Tinman and is thrilled for recruitment. She’s pretty sure she’ll end up a Tinman as well, but is quick to point out that she knows having a sister in the group doesn’t guarantee her a bid and she is approaching the week with an open mind. As for me, my attitude has done a complete 180 over the last few months. I signed up for recruitment in July with the mindset that there were only a few appealing houses on campus and I knew exactly where I wanted to end up. Yeah I know, I do a facepalm thinking about that too. Now however, after reading other PNM’s recruitment stories and doing further research into my school’s organizations locally and nationally I’m in awe of how anyone ever chooses. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that some chapters are already standing out to me more than others after interacting with actives around campus [there was a huge info fair this past weekend, a few are in my classes, girls I know from high school, etc.], but I’m going in with an open mind and when I picture myself ripping into a bid envelope [knock on wood] next Tuesday I can’t even imagine what it will say. Since I identified my school, I’ll be delaying my posts a day or so just to be safe. Now to start looking for those ruby slippers…
I am so glad you realized you don't get to solely decide where you fit in, especially without meeting any of the chapters and participating in mutual selection. You've managed to do that before you haven't received invites or made a post on GC that would make you look like a person who rides a bicycle in a tornado. You may notice a lot of folks don't learn that lesson before, during, or after recruitment and live their lives as if they've been lying in a field of poppies.

The Stewie (I expected Huey), Dewey, and Louie, names are killing me. Please give other characters in your story worthy Oregon names like Professor Ludwig Von Drake, Uncle Scrooge, Gladstone Gander, launch Pad McQuack, Gyro Gearloose, Webby, and oh yes, Darkwing. Let's Get Dangerous!

My dad was a Duck, my mother was a Beaver. Like their divorce was a huge surprise? Orange, green, yellow, and brown never look good together unless M&Ms are involved.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

House Divided

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post

My dad was a Duck, my mother was a Beaver. Like their divorce was a huge surprise? Orange, green, yellow, and brown never look good together unless M&Ms are involved.
Too funny. My parents both went to UO and divorced. My Dad has been married to a Beaver for about 25 years so I guess civil war in the house isn’t always a disaster. Last time I was in OR, I saw this great bumper sticker that said “House Divided” and was half orange/black and half green/yellow.

Anyway, as an UO alum from eons ago, I am excited to hear about TweedleDee’s recruitment. Sounds like numbers are really up at OR, which is great. All of the sororities at UO have a lot to offer.

Hope you can make it to Game Day at Autzen despite the hectic pace of recruitment. Go Ducks!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Since my sorority isn't represented, we'll be the Lollipop Guild. As second choice, I'm rooting for Scare Crow, because a brain should always be your #1 priority in college.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm rooting for Dorothy, because I just got some new red shoes
Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited for this story! I wonder if I can figure out the code... I'm feeling toto personally, but that is probably just because I'm a dog person.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Breaking my vow not to post in any recruitment threads until completion just to say that this thread has the makings of a classic, IF it stays in the same vein. My opinion, of course, but I've been both howling with laughter and nodding in agreement at the OP's insight and "wisdom".

Good luck, of course, and can't wait to read about the Duck Tales...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-01-2010, 06:26 PM
esd2

Uncle Henry is a good choice! I know a girl from there and they seem to be a solid group! Good luck in your search to find a home!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^I'm confused. Uncle Henry may be a fantastic group, but how do you know which sorority Uncle Henry is? I can't see anything in the post that would give away the code. Did I miss something?

Anyway, good luck Tweedledee 199. Have a wonderful time, meet new people, keep an open mind and enjoy every day of college life (there's no other time in your life quite like it).

Last edited by AXOmom; 10-01-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 PM
esd2

oohh i thought they were in the order in she listed....ooppss my bad! oh well....
Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL - reallly wouldn't be much use for the nicknames in that case, but no problem. I just kept rereading wondering what I had missed.