GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,185
2 members and 2,183 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 08-13-2004, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

How long is your silence period?

How long is silence in effect on your campus?

Just curious with the new NPC recommendation that more clearly defines the length of silence. (Maximum of 24 hours! Only time between last preference party and bid distribution.) The rest of the time NPC suggests Panhellenically spirited interactions.

Saint Louis University has an entire week of silence. Since classes have begun by then, members and PMs are in contact in academic, athletic, work or resident hall situations, but are to limit their discussions during silence.

For PM's -- silence is the period during recruitment where active members are not to communicate in any way with PM. This would include in person, telephone, email, instant messager, or any other form of communication.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2004, 12:18 PM

STRICT silence (NO CONTACT w/ PNM's AT ALL) starts after pref and ends on bid day. The rest of the time, we may talk casually to PNMs , about anything EXCEPT RUSH. We are not allowed to go to a PNM's room or have a PNM in our room. This can be difficult, especially if you are best friends w/one. If a sorority woman lives w/ a PNM, this rule is waived but you still aren't permitted to discuss rush.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a Gamma Chi, we had strict silence from all other sorority members except those on the recruitment team from July 29, 2003 until the moment of our Gamma Chi reveal on Bid Day which was August 15,2003 I believe are the correct dates.

We could not talk to PNM's all summer long however.
One of my sisters that was a gamma chi with me couldn't talk to her sister (another one of our sister's) during strict silence. So for 2 summers, she couldn't talk to her sister!! The summer of 2002 was when her little sister was going through recruitment, and last summer (2003) was when KB was a Gamma Chi. It was very hard for the both of them, because they are very close, but both said it was very much worth it!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:27 PM

We used to observe strict silence throughout rush. During my freshman and sophomore years, sisters couldn't talk to PNMs, even to explain that they weren't allowed to talk to them. Later, that rule was relaxed a bit, so you could at least explain why you couldn't talk to them (except between pref and bid day).

As a sister, you could get an exception for a particular PNM if you already knew her from outside school. You could talk to people on your exception list as long as you didn't talk about your sorority or rush in general. I think you also had to avoid talking to them between pref and bid distribution.

We didn't have a "freshman dorm" or "rush dorm" or anything, so you could (and did) have PNMs and sisters (and even rho chis) in the same suite. Things could get interesting: "Bill, can you do me a favor and ask Sue if I can borrow her hair dryer?"
Old 08-13-2004, 12:39 PM

Ours lasted from the time the Rho Chi's(or whatever they are calling them now) had their retreat till after bid's were distributed.

I know at Uk's campus the members are required to live in their houses and not come out until after all of the preference parties were over.

My school had dorm floors and parties were not conducted on the sorority floors. Because of this, we were allowed to say Hi to PNm's if we passed by them on campus but that was it until after bid distribution.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Let's see.... During formal recruitment, our silence extends from dessert parties (Monday late afternoon) to bid day (Tuesday late evening). We don't have coke dates on Tuesday, the day of preference parties. It's difficult - registration is on these two days, and if we see a PNM up the hill at registration, even if she says hi to us, we're not supposed to respond.

I actually can't remember what the silence policy is for our informal recruitment, although I'm sure our recruitment chair will remind me.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably the worst part about silence, was hanging out with my best friend the night before silence started and having to say goodbye.....
Or possibly seeing all my girlfriends when I went out with the gamma chi's, and not being able to even acknowledge their presence.....
Or maybe not being able to even talk to my roommate because 2 out of the 3 roomates were recruitment counselors......
But the reunion on Bid Day was oh so sweet!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lsutigah
Silence for girls began Aug. 1st and silence for guys begins tomorrow (14th), but noone pays any attn. to fraternity silence. In fact, I have rush parties tomorrow night and the next day, lol! Sorority rush begins tomorrow and fraternity rush begins on the 18th. I'm really looking forward to it...I wonder where I'll end up? Oh yeah, this is for LSU btw...

I'll keep you posted.

WNG
Old 08-25-2004, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Manda903
Unhappy

silence for me starts tonight..until after Bid day..all my friends are Greek, so im very upset about all this..and yes..tonight was so hard saying bye
Old 02-28-2005, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Our silence period starts from the time of the last final party (Saturday night) until Bid Day (monday night). There is to be no contact of members and PNMs, except for a brief and polite exchange of greetings and communication required through classwork and work (IE, campus job etc). Even Rho Chis (since we were allowed to attend our final parties) must observe silence between girls not in her Rho Chi group, and exercise extreme tact when talking to girls in her PX group who attended her final. Contact with the girls after finals is usually increased (at least in my group it was). I had a ton of phone calls like this "OMG! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!" or "I FLIPPING MISSED THE PARTY!" and all sorts of other drama. It was very interesting for me. Because I knew what girls we were getting and I SAW EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM DURING SILENCE PERIOD . It was AWFUL because I just wanted to jump up and down and scream.