GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,414
2 members and 1,412 guests
chironthearcher

Old 01-07-2005, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chelly
Question Farmhouse and Acacia

I know i sound like a complete fool, but can someone please explain to me what Farmhouse and Acacia are?

Delta Delta Delta Phi Beta Chapter FPC '04
"Let Us Steadfastly Love One Another"
*I Love My AEPi Man!*
Proud daughter of a Phi Sigma Kappa!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2005, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.farmhouse.org/

http://www.acacia.org/about_main.htm

chelly, you don't sound like a fool at all. I had no idea what they were when i first joined GC either. They are both Fraternities with many of the same values and traditions held by most Greek-letter fraternities. If you look around their Ntl. websites, you will find out a lot more about both orgs.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

chelly remember, "The Dumbest Question is The One You Never Ask".

HPU Pike, thanks for placing those links up!

You will find, if you explore that there were a lot of reasons Greek Organizations were started, just as there are today.

Try: greekpages.com.

I too found those two sites very interesting as never really looked that much at them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought I would add one other NIC fraternity, sans Greek letters, Triangle Fraternity.

http://www.triangle.org/

All three NIC fraternities were founded around a hundred years ago at mid-western universities. Acacia Fraternity founded in 1904 at the University of Michigan; FarmHouse International Fraternity founded in 1905 at the University of Missouri; and Triangle Fraternity founded in 1907 at the University of Illinois.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Triangle and FarmHouse require that you be enrolled as a student in a specific field of study (engineering, science or architecture for Triangle, agriculture for FarmHouse) before you can pledge.

Alpha Sigma Kappa is a sorority with the same membership requirements as Triangle.

Originally, Acacia required that candidates for membership have taken the Masonic obligations (interpreted as the Master Mason degree). This requirement was later dropped, though Masonic lodges at locations where Acacia chapters are found are active supporters of the fraternity.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984

Last edited by AlphaSigOU; 01-07-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Rho Chi

There's also a social fraternity for architecture - APX.

They had a chapter at U Ill., and Purdue too, I think.

I met a Teke once, who said he had been the exec secy of Triangle for a while, supposedly the only non-member to every head a GLO's office.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Alpha Rho Chi

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I met a Teke once, who said he had been the exec secy of Triangle for a while, supposedly the only non-member to every head a GLO's office.
In 1913 Ida Shaw Martin (yes Tri-Delts, that's you) was elected to Membership and in 1914 was elected national President for Alpha Sigma Alpha, and there continues to this day to be non-members at our HQ, and even a male or two.

So, yeah, as you probably thought, this guy was full of BS
Old 01-07-2005, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Sometimes ASAs come up with some great POSTS!.

hoosier always comes with interesting info. pisses off some stiff necks, but He is 99 % right, oh H giving a benetit of a doubt!

OOPS, was that a typo!????

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

CEOs of various outfits

there have been quite a few CEOs of GLOs who did not belong
as an undergrad. Most are the same as regards runnin' em.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Triangle and FarmHouse require that you be enrolled as a student in a specific field of study (engineering, science or architecture for Triangle, agriculture for FarmHouse) before you can pledge.
Farmhouse at Iowa State also rushes Business majors. Our out-going IFC Pres is a member of Farmhouse and is a business major from suburban Kansas City (and he wears shoes that are more expensive than my entire outfit...).
Old 01-10-2005, 10:26 AM
peanutttu

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
I knew a lot of FarmHouse guys that were NOT agriculture majors. I'm not sure that it is a requirement that you be an agriculture major. I may be completely wrong, but I knew guys w/majors varying from Landscape Architeture to Business to Restuarant/Hotel Mgmt.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaStatePhiPsi
Farmhouse at Iowa State also rushes Business majors. Our out-going IFC Pres is a member of Farmhouse and is a business major from suburban Kansas City (and he wears shoes that are more expensive than my entire outfit...).
According to FH's By-Laws, the chapter can pledge any male student provided (along with other determinations of good character, etc.):

his subjects of study can be applied toward a degree in agriculture or related fields, or he has a rural background, or he shares an agricultural interest; or he demonstrates qualities of character, scholarship and professional excellence to which FarmHouse men aspire.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
I think AGR is for agriculture too? I"m not sure though....I know there's a chapter at UT.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

AGR isn't just for "farm boys."

Alpha Gamma Rho

Quote:
You don't have to study production agriculture to join AGR. AGR is for any young man preparing for any ag or food related career, including food science, biotechnology, agri-marketing, environmental science and many others. AGR has strong ties with 4-H and FFA, but even if you have never been a member of these groups, you can be a member of AGR.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Sigma

Alpha Gamma Sigma - "A Professional Fraternity of Agricultural Heritage" - is another NIC member.

Alpha Gamma Sigma